Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Toto's lifelong friend Bella passed during the night.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    We always kidded about the fact that Toto was my dog, and Bella was momma's dog. But, it was entirely true. Bella followed momma everywhere she went. I think my wife was more attached to Bella than any dog we've ever had, I know one thing, they were indeed true friends.

When I got Toto he was a handful as a pup, and very rambunctious. We didn't know it, but he also howled when we left him home alone. A neighbor told us about his howling so we decided to get him a friend. We found out a lady who works at Costco had one odd dog, a miniature poodle, I say odd because the rest of her dogs, I think three or four were all small Yorkies. We took Toto over to see how they would hit it off. They were like peanut butter and jelly right from the start. Toto was 11 months old, and Bella was 5 months old, not even yet quite grown.

When Bella was old enough, momma wanted her to have a litter of pups, I think helping Bella birth the pups is what brought them so close. We had to give the pick of the litter to the folks who owned the dad, and we kept three, that we eventually sold. That was kind of the plan from the start, but the last pup we just couldn't turn loose of, but eventually sold him to some people that acquiesced to our somewhat ridiculous demands, but that's another story.

Momma ever the practical one had hatched the plan to let Bella have a litter of pups, and we sold the three pups for way more than enough to cover the cost of Bella and Toto's purchase price. It wasn't a big deal to me, but momma had never paid more than a shelter fee for a dog, and these two dogs were pedigree and cost accordingly. She just wanted to see if she could get our money back and we did.

They were as coddled as only house dogs can be, spoiled I'm sure, but it was okay, they were our surrogate children. We never went on a trip without them for more than an overnight excursion. They made three round trips to Arkansas, and were always welcome wherever we went.

Bella had a seizure yesterday afternoon while I was at the golf course the vets were all closed, and she got over it, but I guess the damage was done. She had another, and around midnight then she just went off to sleep. She will be missed terribly, and I can only imagine the affect it's going to have on Toto. I've taken care of things, so when he wakes up, she'll just be gone.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Sadness. That sucks for all involved.

Peace - especially to your wife.
    RedRock, Piggy Stu, strat54 and 2 others like this.

3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I'm so sorry, I understand the value of a pet's life.

4. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

So very sorry, losing a pup (or any pet) just sucks. They are far more than dogs, they are family.
    RedRock, Piggy Stu, strat54 and 2 others like this.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    So sorry for your loss.
    RedRock, strat54 and Toto'sDad like this.

6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Sorry for your and your wife's loss.
    strat54 and Toto'sDad like this.

7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Thank you Mike. We've had such a run of deaths in our family I'm almost getting used to it, but only almost. When the death angel comes calling, it leaves an empty space in your heart that can never be filled. Thank you especially for thinking of my wife. When she called me at the golf course yesterday, she was just breaking down. She has a bad heart and I never know what might send her to the hospital. I was only a little way away, and quit what I was doing and rushed home. Bella was coming out of the seizure by the time I got there. I had hoped for better for my wife's sake.

8. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The loss of a beloved pet is hard to put into words. So sorry.
    RedRock, strat54 and Toto'sDad like this.

9. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bella was my little pal too. One time we were out walking when we were living in a rent house, in between buying another home. I was gawking along, and didn't notice something someone had left on the side walk and tripped and fell. Bella leashing came off her collar and she took off like a bullet. I knew I was a dead man if that little dog got run over, and I thought the worse. I hurried home and when I got there I was getting ready to tell momma her dog had run off when she met me at the door, and wanted to know why in .... Bella came home without me. I knew right then Bella was going to be alright. She knew how to find here way home if she had to.

10. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    I'm really sorry. They wrap their little paws round your heart, don't they.
    RedRock, Toto'sDad and Nickadermis like this.

11. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Sorry to hear that
    I lost a girl recently,still think about her a lot.
    Think of the good times
    Toto'sDad likes this.

12. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    This is bringing tears to my eyes. Condolences to you, your wife and Toto.
    We love our furry people who live with us and have lost 4 in the last 3 years.
    Toto'sDad likes this.

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Very sorry to hear, man. Losing a dog is sooooo sad. My daughter and her boyfriend have a Bella too. She was a rescue dog they got as a pup (she’s still not quite 2). Must have been treated badly because she didn’t trust people at all. Bolted on them once shortly after they got her - she was gone for a week despite every effort to find her. They’d about given up but then she came back and is a much happier dog now. Definitely part of their little family and our extended family too.

So, I know you’ll be grieving for a while, but if it helps, know there’s another Bella out there still pretty early in her earthly adventures... Bellas are great dogs!
    Toto'sDad likes this.

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Sorry to hear that TD. Sounds like Bella lived a great life with your wife, Toto and you.
    boris bubbanov and Toto'sDad like this.

15. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Oh man.
    RedRock and Toto'sDad like this.

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    So sorry for your loss
    Toto'sDad likes this.

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh, jeez...that's just way sad, TD. I feel so bad for all of you. She's a member of the family and doesn't matter she's technically a different species...she's family. Please give all a hug for me and I hope the healing will begin soon...:(
    Toto'sDad likes this.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Dogs deal with this better than us humans, so my condolences to you and your wife.

I have a friend who had to take his dog in to be put down (cancer). He asked to hold the dog and when they were in the back room the dog licked his hand like he was the one who ill.
    tonytrout and Toto'sDad like this.

19. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Condolences to you and your wife. Losing family is the hardest thing...
    Toto'sDad likes this.

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    tonytrout and Toto'sDad like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.