Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Totally new to Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Boarsrock, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    I've played a Strat and Les Paul all my life. Now I'd love to get a Tele. I play blues, funk, jazz and a little fusion. Price is an issue but I'm comfortable in the $700-$900 range. Several recommendations by friends and I'm close to a Baja with a Pau Ferro neck.

Opinions please... Good Tele for a newbie and my style of play? Any major issues with a Baja?
    Thank you

tery likes this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy and welcome!
    Baja’s are great!
    I prefer rosewood, personally.

Piggy Stu and nojazzhere like this.

3. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reply. I always associate Maple necks with Tele’s. All I’ve ever played is rosewood. I believe the Pau Ferro is a form of rosewood? I hear the Baja’s are on the heavy side but I was weaned on a 9lb. Les Paul.

Cheers my friend.

4. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    You might not like a 50s Baja if you don't like big necks - but if you're used to Les Pauls you should be fine. 50s Bajas are terrific guitars. I haven't played the 60s model.

Piggy Stu likes this.

5. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    I believe the model I’m looking at is a 60’s. Thanks, I’ve mainly read and heard good reviews of the Baja.

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I love my 50's Baja - both Baja's are custom shop designed . It comes down to which Neck , Pickups , and Color that you prefer . ~ Welcome to TDPRI :)

7. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    Welcome to the forum. Be warned though, Telecasters are addictive. Once you start down this path forever will you be on it :)

8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Pau Ferro is very close in feel to Rosewood - maybe a bit harder, a tad lighter in color, but very similar.

9. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    Thank you all. I hear so many delicious tones-sounds coming out of Tele's. I'm a tube amp guy and really looking forward to opening a new door to what I do.

10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Be forewarned, once you become familiar with the myriad sounds to be achieved through subtle and judicious use of the simple controls on a Tele, your Les Paul and Strat will collect dust, except for when you need a wiggle stick, if you're so inclined! Teles can cover a lot more ground than most realize! Don't be affeared of that tone knob! They aren't just for twang!
    Just My $.02 & Likely Worth A Whole Lot Less,
    Gene

rich815 likes this.

11. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What you’re looking at sounds good but try to play it first to see if you like the feel. Better would to be patient and see what shows up locally for used (Craig’s list, local Guitar Center or Mom and Pop...) and pounce when you find something that feels and sounds right. Buying at the right price you can always re-sell at little to no loss and try something different if it doesn’t click after a few weeks or months. Teles are awesome but the right neck, balance and feel can make all the difference, and, to me anyway, pickup choices make a bigger difference to me in teles than with my strats.

Piggy Stu likes this.

12. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Good luck with your Tele whatever you decide to purchase. Personally I would stay away from the models with belly/forearm/neck cuts. You will miss out on the experience of having a slab Tele as it was originally intended. The original slab concept wasn't a bad idea IMHO.

13. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    If I were you, would get:

- a MJT body (for $250 or less)
    - a All Parts or MusiKraft or Warmoth neck (for $250 or less) via eBay.com auctions
    - a pickguard, a set of tuners and other hardwares at Reverb.com and/or eBay.com (for $200 or less)
    - a Cavalier Nashville Lion bridge & Lion King neck PU (for $60 x2) at frettech.com

You'll get truly a great guitar with great parts with great resale values.
    Good luck in your search.

rich815 likes this.

14. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    You'll love whatever Tele you wind up with. Just play it before you buy so you know it fits you. I've personally come completely into the light - traded a Gibson for my Tele.

15. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ya Know,
    I think there are few who would recognize or know who that pic in your avatar is, but as a huge fan, I do! o_O Before the beards, he really looked like a greasy, hillbilly, red neck, hick! :eek:

97220da9c9c3a0dcecfeba3d378348f6--billy-gibbons-zz-top.jpg

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Crobbins and rich815 like this.

16. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    Man, great feedback. In the way old days, I thought Tele's were only "country" guitars. And I love country too and play a Dobro. But years of pulling my head out of preconceived notions tells me I've been missing the boat.

PS... My avatar is me. But honored to be in that same light! I was on stage admiring Blue Oyster Cults' - Buck Dharma's rig. I emceed for one of their show last summer. Any of you who remember BOC from the old days... they still tore it up. Fantastic show.

Cheers to my new friends

17. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m a huge MJT body fan. Great bodies and great nitro looks. I like a light relic so I don’t worry about minor dings and scratches too.

Here’s one I put together only a month or so ago. Wonderful sound. I won the auction on the body for $227. Added a Mighty Mite neck I had around that I know I liked. And a McNelly A5 Signature bridge pickup with a Frailin Blues Special neck pickup. That Frailin is something special too. I know metallic tangerine might not be to everyone’s taste but I like it as it’s more a coppery-gold than tangerine to me. :D

[​IMG]

18. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc

19. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've been sound engineer for "BOC" AND "Soft White Underbelly" and have actually had the opportunity to play many of Buck's (Donald's) guitars. Really a great and friendly bunch of guys! One of my favorite bands, particularly in the early days, before Godzilla and the arenas, but they've certainly kept the fire burning in later years, since the big shows and lasers! FWIW, their main sound engineer for the early years and throughout the arena years is a guy named George Geranios, one of the best pairs of ears in the business and one of my heroes and mentors!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Boarsrock likes this.

20. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    They were very cool and approachable. I get a kick out of Godzilla, Burnin, etc. but they have such a great catalog. I do quite a bit of home recording and use one of Buck's picks for inspiration. Nice guy with tremendous licks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.