Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Torn between two guitars - Which would you choose? Need some advice!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tmdm, Oct 1, 2017.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Both of those seem to me to be prioritizing looks over musical utility. Pretty wood is nice to look at, but do you really want to haul a 4000 dollar acoustic to some bar to play for drunks?

Paisley doesn’t float my boat but lots of people love it. Here again it seems like the looks are taking priority I’ve the music making?

I would not buy either of those—I’d buy a good instrument that make music with for less. 3000 worth of Koa won’t make a Cmajor sound any better. But the pleasures of music are complex and a fancy instrument is special and fun

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    RoyBGood and Ira7 like this.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    In anything in this world you get what you pay for but must decide what you want to pay for. There's always a point where you pay for bling or a name rather than added quality. I've a Rolex, superb quality watch, but not the gold top of the range thing, a basic Explorer. I'll buy Levi jeans over store brand, but not Armani. I've got a LandRover, not a Range Rover...........................................bottom of a quality range is generally my mantra.

ianstrike, mitchfinck and RoyBGood like this.

3. Bobby Marshall

Bobby Marshall TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Chicago
    If you already have a good acoustic, get the paisley and have them put machine screw inserts in the neck so you can take apart and put back together easily to travel with it. I remember reading about a super famous guitarist known for playing a tele that did this mod so he could travel with it easily. I just can't remember his name!

4. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have a very hard time thinking that first Taylor would be worth that kind of money. If there were ever a desire to move on from it, I think you'd take a big loss. If you put $4000 into a vintage Martin of some kind, that could be a different story. The Taylor just seems like such a niche thing. But even if you did get it and keep it forever, wouldn't you be afraid of life happening to it? I sure would be.

My personal experience: I saved and saved and saved all summer after my senior year of high school. I swept floors in a factory. Then I finally had enough money to drive to a nearby big city to buy my first great acoustic guitar: a Larrivee L-09 cedar top with rosewood back and sides. I was ecstatic. Over the years, stuff happened to it in shipping and probably from the weather, too. It still played great and sounded great, but I became more and more worried about getting it out as I had more kids running through the house and dogs and the like. So I traded it in at a local store and ended up getting a $300 vintage Epiphone acoustic that not only sounds great, but that I'll pick up and play any time and take just about anywhere. As much as I like that cheap guitar, if something happens to it, I'm not out a fortune. And more importantly, I don't think about my acoustic guitar like a collector's piece anymore. I think about it like something I play all the time. And that is better. Also: that was only with a $1400 Larrivee. I cannot image how I would feel with a $4000 Taylor. I'd be building a climate-controlled vault with great lighting so I could look at it, but that wouldn't make me play better.

That said, get the Tele and the Taylor mini Koa. I think you'll play those more and be more likely to get return on investment in the future if you need it.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, I don't want no $4000 Taylor--or a Paisley tele neither--so it's hard to help you choose between the two. Man, 2g's each for an acoustic and a tele gets you two AWESOME guitars... You're not gonna get much of a performance boost beyond that!

Piggy Stu likes this.

6. tmdm

tmdm TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Chino
    Thanks for all the feedback! Great advice all. I'm going with the tele, may even pass on the mini Koa and get myself a new amp. Will think over that, but the tele is something I love. The Taylor is beautiful, but I would be afraid to take it anywhere! Thanks for all the feedback :)

7. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I'd get the Taylor Mini and call it a day.

8. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    The whole "AA Top" thing disturbs me. I'm wary of buying blingy acoustics. Perhaps that's just how Martin has conditioned me. I love me a high end guitar, but not so much one where a lot of the cost is cosmetic. I'd rather wait and buy that one used for 60% of that price. Instead of losing 40% when I tire of it in a couple years.

Sounds like the Tele will just wind up in your pile of many electrics.

And you're asking us... Do you know what you want? Do you know why you're buying ANY guitar right now? Is it just because...?

I usually stick to what most folks consider high end gear, and when I'm ready to buy something like you're looking at, I damn well can tell you exactly why, and what I hope to get out of it. And I'll wait a year between purchases if I don't see anything that moves me.

Maybe just sit on your hands (and your money) for now?

9. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    My wife has the Koa Taylor and it sounds very nice to me. Not as bright as the 114ce I had, which was a little too bright sometimes, but not too low end heavy as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.