Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Torn between two guitars - Which would you choose? Need some advice!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tmdm, Oct 1, 2017.

1. tmdm

tmdm TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Chino
    Hello all,

You may have seen my previous thread on the Pink Paisley tele. I have spent a few months saving to get a Taylor K24CE with AA top. I have found one in a music store in Atlanta, GA for $3999.00, which is an awesome price. I am about $1000 short of that right now. I don't play professionally anymore, but would like to in future again. I am trying to decide between two choices:

1. Save the additional $1000.00 and buy the Taylor K24CE with AA top

[​IMG]

or

2. Buy the custom made Pink Paisley Tele by a luthier in Oklahoma (recommended by Bill Crook for lefties) and a Taylor GS Mini Koa for my travels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have wanted both the K24 and the Pink Paisley for as long as I can remember and travel regularly. So I am trying to decide if I should get myself a great quality travel guitar and the Pink Paisley, or go with the Taylor K24CE AA Top. My fear with the Taylor is that it is such a beautiful guitar, I would be afraid of even playing it! Let alone taking it to gigs. It doesn't strike me as a guitar that would look good road worn. Option 2 is cheaper and gets me the Paisley that I have wanted for years and the travel guitar, which I have played and also sounds amazing. Option 2 also leaves me with about $700 left for my savings account (which will keep my wife happy) and the additional $1000 that I would have to save. But option 1 gets me something that is of the finest quality. Thoughts?

I have a lot of guitars already, more electrics than acoustics and ironically, I am more of an acoustic player. I just prefer collecting electrics. I guess more variations!

MuddyDitch likes this.

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    If you'd be reluctant to travel with the 'AA' Taylor, get the Tele and a travel acoustic.

3. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    What he said! Plus, anytime you can keep the wife happy is a plus.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Save your money and hope the GAS for these pass. I know, a bit harsh, but dwindling your savings that low for these aren't worth it. Even as a "collector", I still don't see these as selectable. I would invest more time looking. Just one opinion, but you asked.

5. Telegraphonic

Telegraphonic TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    You did not really ask a Telecaster forum if you should buy a Tele or not, did you? ;)
    You've already talked yourself into the Telecaster.
    You have chosen wisely. ☺️

whoanelly15 likes this.

6. tmdm

tmdm TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Chino
    Hey Obsessed,

Good advice. I actually wouldn't be dwindling my savings. The money I have saved is for gear specifically. I have a separate savings account for other expenses, so I am more trying to figure out exactly what I want to spend me gear money on.

Mr Green Genes and Obsessed like this.

7. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    No brainer for me, the Tele. Then get a second hand accoustic Larrivee.

8. Hawk8789

Hawk8789 TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I think I’d go with option #2

The thing with acoustics, is they’re all different. Ideally, if you had 3-5k in hand, you would play every good acoustic you could get your hands on and pick the one you connect with.

An older friend of mine wanted a D-28 his whole life. Right after he retired, he went out and played every one for sale in Las Vegas. One store had three, and one of them was the one. Instead of buying it, he hit the final store on his journey. He went back for the best one, and it was sold while he was gone. That was 15 years ago and he still hasn’t bought a D-28.

Of course, that means if option #1 is a good one, get it while it’s there!

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Holy Moly, that Taylor costs 4X the max I've ever paid for a guitar. I'd be afraid to leave the house with it.

Which one do you need more? Big difference between a Tele and an Acoustic.

10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    All I can say is that I would never spend $4000 for an acoustic.

I love my $1200 2007 Guild D-40 which ain't quite so fancy but sounds super delicious!

So... for the cost of one $4k guitar you can still get two fabulous sounding guitars... plus change... imo...

'

Obsessed likes this.

11. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    It’s tough to choose. I had always wanted a D45, and when it came time to buy one, it was tough. It’s not easy to plunk down $13,000 (including tax) for a guitar, especially when you think about what other things you could do with that money. But it was a “now or never” moment, and I decided I would rather have the guitar than not have it. I ended up putting in Saturdays at work, and made up for what I had spent.

Piggy Stu likes this.

12. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2014
    Tulpehocken Delta
    Take a high quality portrait picture of the K24CE, have it blown up into a poster suitable for framing. Hang it where you see it all the time. Carry photos of it in your wallet. Buy the Tele.

RoyBGood and 2 Headed Goat like this.

13. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus TDPRI Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Upstate NY
    I own a Taylor 310CE, and let me tell you, I have played the $4k Taylors, and sweet as they are, mine is an absolute cannon when I put new strings on it. Loud, lucious overtones, bottom end like noone's business. It all depends on what sound you're after. If you have a Taylor itch to scratch, may I recommend going to their roadshow first. So many body shapes, so many different tonewoods. I would let your ears lead you, and not your eyes. Yes, Koa is absolutely stunning to look at, but it is much different sounding than mahogany or rosewood. When you are playing one of the 300, 400, or 500 series guitars, you may just fall in love. And possibly save enough on that purchase to buy the tele of your choice if you find a good used one. Taylor def makes good stuff.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    That's what I think when I see $1,200 acoustics ... ;)

But I can't play. I make a fine racket that can scare the dogs and frighten the wife so I have just as much fun with a dozen $100 guitars.

telegramsam and Mr Green Genes like this.

15. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    "...loving both of you is breaking all the rules."

Sorry I couldn't have stopped myself if I'd wanted to. :)

16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    If it's not one you can take out and play it will be a case queen with its humidifier. Get the ones you can play anywhere.

17. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Luthier in Oklahoma? Is that Dog Tired Guitars? If so, the owner is a member here.

I say the Tele combo.

18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I hear ya...

I guess my greater point is that I could care less about the "bling" when it comes to any guitar as long as it has "the tone".

When I was looking for an acoustic I tried ones from every price point; Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, Ibanez, Takamine, Fender, Seagull, Yamaha, Washburn, Sigma, Epiphone... etc...

I chose the Guild because it best suited my acoustic guitar needs, not because it was necessarily good looking - although I personally think it's as handsome as anything out there:

IMG_3436.JPG

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Dismalhead likes this.

19. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    I own one of the "seasonal" limited edition Taylors in this price range. While comparing my limited 514ce to your K24ce is a bit of an apples and oranges thing, I will say this: they are ABSOLUTELY worth every penny of the purchase price.

Crobbins likes this.

20. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

...I'd be afraid to leave it in the house!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.