Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Top loaders Vintage or Modern Bridges for Telecaster's

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by viccortes285, Apr 15, 2018.

1. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    I was told years ago that threw the body gave you more Sustain, then I thought of my Gibsons Les Paul's they have top sustain and none go thru the body. So putting added angle on your strings in theory should break quicker.
    What are the advantages and Dislikes of Top loaders. ( Jimmy Page) Tele was a top loader.

2. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    I build my guitars with top loading tele bridges so I don't have to drill through the body. They sound great to me...

nojazzhere likes this.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I think that since I chose 'vintage' in your other thread, I'll choose 'modern' this time.

RodeoTex likes this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I prefer top loader -- none of that fiddly flipping the guitar over like a dead fish with the through holes.

If you are concerned with sustain then check string length beyond nuts and saddles. A headless guitar vs a plinky mandolin where it seems like half the string length is beyond the bridge. Gibson headstocks with short E and e and long D and G while Fender has the long b and e or Hendrix had the long E and A. That string length acts as a spring and friction at the nut and saddles like a shock absorber system in a car -- for guitar you want that car bounce to last all the way through lunch. Break angle increases the frictional force, graphite reduces the friction, shorter strings beyond the nut/saddle decrease the 'spring' stretching and thus friction.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I've had both top-load and string-through bridges on my Tele....everything else stayed the same. I can't tell a whit of difference between them.

6. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Prosperity, Sc
    Having owned both I don’t thing there is very much difference in either tone or playability. Both will give a quality sound. I gravitate to string through because the guitar seems a little more finished when the string ends are tucked in the body.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Two consecutive threads about the same thing?

8. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    Which one do you prefer?

santiago53, gabrius and AAT65 like this.

9. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I don't know about tone. I can't tell any difference. But in feel top load is a bit slinkier. Makes the difference of maybe 0,5 in string gauge, nothing major but noticeable.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    the differences are so miniscule that at this point, with modern electronics etc etc, either one is fine.

the rest is a bunch of hype and guitar geekdom.

11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    all your questions about this can be answered by simple trigonometry

the felt difference will be very small

one of the reasons for this is that, because the bridge point is fixed, the string pulls in two directions: it pulls on the headstock, and pulls on the back of the body (or the back of the bridge)

those two pullings in opposite directions do not have a great effect on each other

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.