Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Top loader bridge and ashtray cover?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jonne, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Jonne

Jonne TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Finland
    Hi all,

Tried searcing the forum but couldn't find the answer, so: will an ashtray cover fit a top loader ashtray bridge or are the ball ends on the way?

I have a project guitar that came with a cheap flat plate top loading bridge and I figured I'd like to swap it for an ashtray one. I think drilling the string through holes is risky business with my limited tools and figured might as well go with a top loader. I also kinda like the slinkier feel compared to string through arrangement, but want to be able to use the cover on it to rest my hand while finger picking.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It'll fit.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I put one on a top-loading partscaster I built for a friend and it fit fine.

4. Jonne

Jonne TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Finland
    Great, thanks!

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's not really a precision fit on these things. There's a ton of extra space at the rear where the ball ends are.

In addition, 9 times out of ten, the cover will snap on lock tight. But rarely, you have to bend the lips of the cover a tad for a tighter fit.

Jonne likes this.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And may I add:

Ashtray covers are the freaking best, but 9 out of 10 people here hate them.

I love the palm resting benefit of it for fingerpicking. But just love it in general.

I have it on an Esquire.

7. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    That's such a great look.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I do everything weird.

This is my Esquire with Thinline pickguard. The pup is wired direct to jack, so note the pickguard:

"Look, Ma! No pots or switch!"

IMG_1619.JPG

9. since71

since71 TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2016
    London
    True, but the headstock appears to be USB.
    Seriously, its a great idea this. Acoustics don't have volume controls. Sometimes you have to take muscle responsibility for your volume.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's funny--that USB in the photo annoyed me, but I figured what the hell. (That's for my X2's FUSE software which I never use.)

I haven't done much with this guitar since I put it together, and just a few weeks ago I put a GFS lipstick pup in it. I was originally going to at least get a vol pedal, but not necessary:

I mounted a mini Donner EQ Pedal onto a mike stand for an always on and easily adjustable EQ to use for all my guitars. And since it has a vol pot, who needs a separate floor pedal?

It's a really good, versatile, inexpensive set-up

since71 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.