Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Took the Marshall Code 50 to practice yesterday

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mbell75, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    I will preface this by saying my current project is just my guitar, drums and vocals. I wasn't sure how the 50 would hold up under live drums in a rather large rehearsal space. Turns out I didn't have to worry at all. I didn't need to turn it past the 4th line on the master, which is actually 3 because the first line is 0 with no sound. Controlled the volume from the app on my phone and I actually backed the master down a little too for less aggressive songs. No clean settings, all overdriven early white stripes tone settings I created. Drummer isn't super loud but definitely not quiet either. If you are competing with other guitarists using 100 watt Marshall heads and stacks, its obviously not a great choice but for the vast majority of people, the 50 is going to be plenty loud for most situations. Just thought Id share.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Yes, Im sure there are some guitarists who use budget, modeling combo amps live but its guys like the ones on YouTube. Worship leaders, bad cover bands and the guys playing to 8 people in a dive bar. Not really what I would call pro talent by any stretch and churchgoers or drunk people in a dive bar really couldn't care less how the music sounds. Bottom line is they are budget combo amps aimed at beginners and amateurs.

mbell75 April 2nd, 2017

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I think people are allowed to change their minds

Jim Dep likes this.

4. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    Try reading that thread. We were talking about serious, gigging pro guitarists which I am not. Im a bass player screwing around with friends playing guitar for fun, big difference ;) Im most definitely an amateur. Oh and I guessed you missed my post right before that one...

"Thats around $300 US, grab a Marshall Code 50. Any of these amps aren't going to work too well cutting thru a loud drummer and full band though. High volume jam sessions are not what these budget modeling amps are made for at all. Even if you can be heard, its going to sound like garbage at high volume. My Mustang III sounded really tinny and shrill at anything past about 5, the Code 50 isn't much better. They are made for practice and/or recording at home or in a studio."

Thats a lot of the reason why I made this thread. In response to that post where I said its not going to sound good at real high volume. Turns out 3 was plenty to play over a drummer :cool: I still stand by what I said though, these aren't made for serious, pro guitarists who make their money from gigs.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Yes, I agree. :)

6. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    I didnt used to think so.

JasonKingsX, paratus and Cliffyg62 like this.

7. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    When your cranking the amp up are you also altering the eq? I've had multiple amps that had to be eq'd different depending on volume.

mbell75 likes this.

8. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    No! once you choose, it's death or cake!
    No going back, no buyers remorse no divorce, choose once and that's it's, final, finito, finished!;)

xafinity, mbell75 and Cliffyg62 like this.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Hint-the "presence" and "resonance" controls both require a bit of deep-diving to adjust, and they affect the character of the sound a LOT

Cliffyg62 and mbell75 like this.

10. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Why don't Fenders have Resonance? Oh and I'm to going Gig with my 25 On 8 that'll work, right? ... (Pros, its Justajoke. keep calm ...People get all Serious with this stuff. Just Make music, be happy.)

11. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    Another update. Took it to an open mic night and used it on the acoustic reverb preset with my Fender Duo Sonic. Sounded great but we only have guitar and vocals, no mix for me to have to cut thru and I love that. I agree about the presence and especially the resonance controls. Boosting the resonance from 1.1 up to 6 made a huge difference on the acoustic preset. Makes it sound a lot fuller and real similar to a dreadnought.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.