Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

TOO too MUCH much ECHO echo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NashvilleDeluxe, Oct 3, 2017.

1. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Not sure where to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong forum.

We have a "bonus room" in the house that used to host my GF's yoga events...and I have been encouraged to turn it into a music room. The biggest issue is that, while it has wonderful natural light, it's an acoustic soup of swirling and bouncing sound. An amp with no reverb sounds like stadium rock. One acoustic guitar sounds like 3. It's a big room, bigger than the photo represents.

Is this a hopeless case, or can something be done to make the room into a decent jam space?

Echo Chamber.JPG

2. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    Yikes. All reflective surfaces. Where to begin?

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Drapes on walls, carpet on floor.

4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    :eek: wow your bonus room is bigger than my whole flat LOL

you need to get the amps near to one of the walls and lower the general volume and play in front of them, until you reach a balance, a room like that with super shiny wood flooring, glasses and walls is gonna be very reflective, that's why you have too much echo echo echo echo ....

fill the room with 30 people and try again ... you'll hear a completely different thing, the room looks to be pretty empty, all the flat surfaces will reflect the sound.

solution 1 : Move the amps under the clock, find the right volume, which will be quite high, and move away form the amp until you find a good volume/echo balance, closer to the amps :)

Solution 2 : spend a bunch of money on acoustic traps and special material carpet and transform the room into something . ahem not yoga friendly, :D yea it would really reflect " inner peace " ;)

telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.

5. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Carpet ( Rugs) A sofa.
    Soft window coverings. Do these things and you;ll hear a difference. Even one area rug will make a difference.

I have a room like that. Mine lucky has a concrete slab and lots of brick. My wife added the acoustic treatments. ( furniture and drapes) I did have to remove the pool table.

magicfingers99 likes this.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Maybe you can screen off a corner and make that a more curtained, sound-absorbing space so you don’t have to impinge too much on your other half’s yoga-room aesthetic...

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

A rug would really tie the room together.

Mr. Lumbergh, Deeve, jaybones and 5 others like this.

8. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Window treatments, aka curtains will absorb sound. They should be made of fabric. You need some furniture made of fabric, and a rug. See? BigDaddy was right.

You need something to absorb those vibrations from any sounds created.

9. NashvilleDeluxe

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    upload_2017-10-3_18-53-31.png

10. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Wow, super belle maison. Are you near Mont-Tremblant?

Definitely drapes, some area rugs and furniture will help to dampen the sound. But it's most likely always going to have natural reverb.

11. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    Have you tried a little Feng Shui?

12. NashvilleDeluxe

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Thank you for your considered response. She's Yoga/horses and I'm dirtbikes and guitars. I will try the spot under the clock. Also, my Tone King has an attenuator, which might take the volume down to a bearable roar. As for 30 people...I'm not a fan of those. There are about 4 people on Earth I'd want in that room. Hah.

13. NashvilleDeluxe

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    I do have a place in the Laurentians, but this one is closer to Hudson. The "Fermette." Also known as "The Labour Camp." Shoveling poo and feeding horses. And cranking amps.

TeleFunk Man likes this.

14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    yeah, with all the hard surfaces and corners you can't expect sound not to bounce around. Either remove everything from the room but a microphone and a speaker and use it for an echo chamber, or put lots of mass in there to absorb sound and dampen reflections.

Heavy drapes, windows are great for bouncing sound around. Carpet on the floor, you can hang a tapestry or two in there to subdivide the space, put it on a roll around rack and you can move it where you need to . A fabric sofa and a couple a chairs will dampen things more.

I'd start with the windows, see how much that helps and then keep dampening until you can't hear a pin drop. If you don't want to do all that, get or make some roll around panels where you can box in the source you are recording to isolate it from the rest of the room.

or you could put up basket ball hoops and just use it for fun and stuff.

15. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Id probably try building a few mobile walls with sound deadening measures and section of a portion of the room. This way you could expand the section as you need more space. Applying acoustic tiling to that whole room would be costly.

Think of it like those old chalkboards on wheels, but they'll be sound boards

16. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Hudson? Wow, we're practically neighbours. Shovelling crap sounds way better than my job, sitting in front of a computer screen 15 stories above ground. At least you get to crank some amps.

Cool amp on top of the Peavey by the way, what is it? Would love to see some pics of it.

17. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

if you can't tamed the acoustics, suggest reverting back to using the room for GF's yoga classes. :)

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Shag..should work...lol

19. NashvilleDeluxe

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    upload_2017-10-3_19-42-42.png

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I would not buy carpet from these guys.

[​IMG]

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.