Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Too Old To Trick or Treat?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Oct 13, 2018.

1. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I could have been jailed for trick-or-treating at age 13! Fortunately, I'm old enough to have grown up in a more sane era. Why would I have risked getting jailed, you ask?

Because I had a little brother who wanted to go trick-or-treating at age 10, and my parents were busy Halloween evening. So I was tasked with babysitting my little brother. Me and my friends took him out with us and he was happy because he got lots of candy. He went as a robot, my Dad helped make his costume which was a couple of boxes (big one for the body, small one for the head) wrapped in tin foil with clothes dryer hoses for the arms.

I'm amazed that they are trying to criminalize this. Fact is that in many parts of the USA there are not many wholesome activities for teenage kids on Halloween night. Why would the powers that be want to discourage trick-or-treating for early teenagers? We are now living in a nanny state.

Ira7 likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    We give out age appropriate treats.

Little kids get smaller, "fun size" treats that are easy for them to eat.

Bigger kids get full size candy bars and such.

Teens unaccompanied by younger siblings get a Laffy Taffy.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Thats funny - Laffy Taffy sucks ! :lol:

Teenagers in their warm coats with no costume with big pillow cases are half the
    clientel after a certain time. Close up shop before them.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    We get small kids where we are now, but they are growing up and getting a bigger. I haven't seen anyone except for the parents accompanying them over what appears to be nine or ten years old. At our old house which was in an upscale neighborhood, I'm sure they bussed 'em in, we would have a torrent of trick or treaters through there that wore at least size 14 shoes and I had to look up at 'em when they said trick or treat in a voice that would make Josh Turner sound like a school girl. I don't miss that.

Lake Placid Blue and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    We get a few of the older kids, 15 - 17 year olds, out scrounging free candy. I guess as long as they bothered to put on a mask, what the heck. Give 'em a gumball.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  6. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Minnesota
    Those who are willing to introduce children to the criminal justice system because of trick or treating at age 13 are lacking brains, heart, and foresight. That, to me, is completely asinine.
    Our two children were cut off at 13. That seems to be the unwritten rule around my town. We never denied teens who knocked on our door. I did give the older ones a few verbal jabs though.:twisted:

7. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    I just refrain from participating in this archaic pagan display. Now, get off my lawn!

pdmartin and DrPepper like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Having been subjected to a creepy Catholic upbringing , I always found the pagan aspect of Halloween to be a breath of fresh air once a year - and certainly less spooky/threatening...o_O

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    It sounds drakonian on the surface - but there must have been issues for a town to enact a law / ruling like that. Some older kids must have been doing something for a town to have to react. Nobody in their right mind will just make a ruling like that out of the blue.

Unfortunately, the article does not give any context as to why these laws were put into place - just the after effect for people to speculate on.

$0.02 and all that...

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I scrounged the neighbourhood for free treats from something like age 4. It was fun and exciting. Now I think it's a risky business. Not only because of all the freaks and weirdo's out there but also because the food items could have anything in them. Not sure i'd let my kids do it if I had any. If kids are going to do it I think around 13yo should be the cut off age.

11. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia
    If they're 10-12, I nicely tell them its for the smaller kids.

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    8th grade, unless accompanying younger siblings.

I'm not refusing to give candy to older kids though. Nobody loves a scold.

13. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia

yeah I guess I misspoke 10-12 is a little young. Its according, we'll have older kids show up with no costume. They have no chance.

Chunkocaster and jondanger like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    william tele and Deeve like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    The kids with the hottest moms accompanying them get the best treats at my place. Spread the word.;)

trahx, Ira7, Rustbucket and 2 others like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The coming Halloween is bittersweet for me, it will be the first time in many years Toto won't be here with me to greet the trick or treaters. He enjoyed seeing them, and some of the kids that he knew I would let him go out and see them, they all enjoyed Toto. Still, I intend to pass out candy to the little kids, I enjoy seeing their little smiling faces.

17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    We don't get that many kids in our neighborhood, but I pass out candy. I don't see much point in going out myself when I have three bags of Snickers I can eat right here.

nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    i wonder why no one ever said...trick...when we said...trick or treat...i was not prepared with any tricks my friends werent prepared either...lucky for us i guess!

19. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I hate it when I forget it's Halloween, i'm sitting there about to enjoy some tasty chocolate and there's a knock at the door that jolts my memory and I have to hand over all my treats. It's happened a few times.

drf64 and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.