Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Too much FUZZ

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by klkampman, May 11, 2018.

1. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    I have 2 fuzzes and don't know which to keep. Both have huge positives and some negatives. Wish I could keep both but I just can't right now. I wish I could have both in one box. Fuzzy potato shot below.
    Using this forum to think out loud and maybe get some input from you.

Neither are your daddy's classic fuzz tone. These are only to be used when you ready to explode.
    EQD is a great sounding fuzz. No noise. Love the one big knob but also not a lot of control - mainly volume control I need. Works anywhere in the chain. The bias set low is my favorite spitty broken fuzz sound. Full in your face tone. Top jacks work well for me and soft momentary switch is why I got it over other boxes I demoed.
    Haunt is also great. Has a nasty broken gate control, which is good. Kind of noisy but only when I kick it on so not a big deal.
    I wish I had the tone of the Erupter with the volume and gate control of the Haunt.

My perfect fuzz would be the Erupter tone, box layout and switch, with the volume and gate of the Haunt.
    Both look awesome too. Can't decide which to keep! I listed the Erupter on Reverb today but may pull the ad until I decide. The Erupter is just hard to use in my rig without a volume control. It's just off or full on eruption.
    Just need some money for other pedals. Id like a tremolo, phaser, Univibe, etc.

Attached Files:

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    EQD every day for me.

I have a copy of this circuit, and like you say, it's for when you really want to explode.

Fuzz isn't an effect to be used lightly, or with any degree of subtlety - One Knob to rule them all, right? :D

klkampman likes this.

3. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    Two is too many? I'm up to six and it's still not enough :)

My guess is that you'll never find The One that covers all the bases, unless you have a very specific sound in mind and don't really care about experimentation. If I was gigging regularly and needed to minimize my pedal board, I could MAYBE get away with just two...

klkampman likes this.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Haunt sounds good to me...

5. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    @klkampman
    I have the Hoof pedal from EQD. Instead of having one big volume knob, I can adjust the level: Check out the reviews, plenty of good things said. Probably one pedal that will never be sold for me.
    961FF963-13C4-4DE1-96BB-5DFC5F50216E.jpeg

6. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Yeah, I’d say two is like the beginner’s package.

FRESHMEAT and telemnemonics like this.

7. VintageGearMan

VintageGearMan TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Canada, Quebec City
    I have the erupter... I play a LOT of 70s rock and I can get a super nice crunchy kinda distorion when the knob is all the way down and when I roll down the volume on my tele... Maybe try that and see if that does it for you :)

8. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    So... I traded my Erupter for a Hummingbird very. I kept the Haunt as it's more tweakable.

I will get more fuzz, but for now i need a few basics covered. Erupter is absolutely awesome and sad to see it go. Once I get the basics covered I can get start getting extras and back ups.
    The Haunt sounds awesome and is very inspiring, just doesn't have as full, well rounded tone as EQD. I can dial it in to get pretty close and more.
    Still looking for phaser, Univibe, compressor, and delay. I pretty much know what I'm looking for. As I said in another thread, I keep coming back to or ending up with Way Huge products after trying out a bunch of choices. Probably add a Green Rhino for another dirt and the rest I mentioned. (MXR, Keeley) almost all set.

Anyone try the Keeley Psi fuzz? I may try that for my classic fuzz sound, or end up with a Havalina or Swollen Pickle if not. Also liking the SunFace fuzz clones I see on Reverb.

9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    When you get brave enough, head over to youtube and look up two brands.
    1. ZVEX: Mastotron Fuzz, Fuzz Factory. Both are fantastic.
    2. Blackout Effectors: Musket Fuzz, Fix'd Fuzz, Twosome Fuzz
    3. Stomp Under Foot: I have the '76 Amherst Fuzz. It's a J Mascis "signature" fuzz.

FRESHMEAT likes this.

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA

Sollipsist likes this.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I keep buying fuzzes and I keep putting my cheapie Behringer SuperFuzz back on the board. It sounds great and plays nice with the other pedals... mostly.

I do have a Katzenkönig (Catalinbread's Tonebender/Rat hybrid) that I'm pretty crazy about... it definitely makes the hairs on my neck stand up... but I haven't found how it fits in with everything else. I may just have to build a smaller board around it.

Don't take any of this as meaning that I have the fuzz thing figured out yet. Cantankerous, addictive beasts. Sheesh.

12. WallyD

WallyD TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2016
    AZ
    No such thing as too much fuzz. It’s good to have one that’s really fat like the EHX or the Foxx Tone Machine along with something a little thiner.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Only 2? Lawd I got 10x that....

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Am slowly building my way through the different varieties of Tonebenders.

You can never have too much fuzz...fuzz is fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.