Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Too Much Bass!

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Wicked-T, May 16, 2018.

1. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Hi all,
    How do you lower the bass output in a Vox solid state Pacemaker amp? There is a
    cap a 1uf that goes between the treble and bass control is that the key or changing more
    caps is the key? it's hard can't find a schematic but so far I'm doing good just need a little
    advice.

Thanks to all

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Reduce capacitance at coupling stages to reduce bass. Depending where you cut bass in a circuit will change how an amp sounds/responds. I find earlier in the circuit tends to work best, and to cut in small increments, rather than a single sharp cutoff.

Wicked-T likes this.

3. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    I found a schematic it's from one of there other models but they use the same
    circuit board for all the models with and without reverb.

fullsizeoutput_6177.jpeg

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Something you could try is jumper C1, then give each input its own coupling cap after the input resistors.
    You could move the .1 cap to input one, that'll give you stock sound. The following two inputs can have progressively lower value capacitors to cut bass in different increments for each input.

5. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    That's hard because it's a circuit board see below, I'm trying a .047uf and it cut it down a little and opened the sound a little more. if you look below there's a blue cap on the left
    that's the .1uf cap after the first inputs. I'm been improving amp as I go along.

P1070043.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2018

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    That amp looks seriously modified. If so and you've been "improving" as you go along - how can you be doing it at all with no schematic?

What work has already been done? It may explain the bass problem if you are "on the trapeze without a net".

Wicked-T and Andy B like this.

7. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Only the electrolytic's were changed and one coupling cap C1 which is a .1uf (on the
    lower left). I've been working on it and did change C11 from a .22 to a .1 and now
    seemed to control the bass better not as boomy as before and did change a few
    others C1 to a .1 mustard cap and C8 .0068uf to mustard as well.

8. the fatch

the fatch TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    LEEDS UK
    C3 is providing AC feedback around the Darlington pair, probably across the full frequency range. Reducing its value should cut bass.

9. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    OKC, OK
    Play more cowbell!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.