Too many Naptha fumes?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Old duck, May 4, 2019.

1. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

Ever start one of those projects that seems like a good idea at the time and then turns to **** in spite of your best efforts?

Several years ago an acquaintance of mine needed some money and wanted to sell me a guitar. I already have many guitars, but took a look at what he had to offer. He had an old POS partscaster that had a body of unknown origin and a neck off of an 80’s Squier Strat and unknown pups/pots/switch. It was painted metallic gold (which I hated) but I played it and loved the neck. He said he’d take $90 for and so it was. I hung the thing in a closet and went on with life.

Then my grandson got interested in guitar and I decided to make a custom strat for him, from the gold partscaster. I decided it couldn’t be gold so I took it apart and started to sand it down, The paint was very thick and realized I wouldn’t live long enough to sand through it , so I decided to use paint stripper. Turned out it had many coats of some kind of clear on it that the stripper wouldn’t touch, so I had to scrap through that and keep applying stripper. It also turned out that the body had been many different colors. I went through the clear then gold and lime green and silver and orange and yellow and black, which seemed to be the original color. I sanded the sucker down and sprayed it with a white primer/filler and then sanded it very smooth. I sprayed the cavities with iron based shielding paint and was ready to paint it.

Meanwhile, my grandson (like many young folks nowadays) decided that guitar was to much work and went on to taekwondo and baseball. I hung the strat body back in the closet and went on with life.

Fast (?) forward two years and I got more bored and decided to do something with the gold partscaster. I looked at many colors online, and in local shops, and finally, after 6 months, decided on a pale yellow/off white. Every time I would see an off white that looked right I would buy a can and then decide it wasn’t what I wanted. (I’ve now got a whole box of spray paint that I have no use for.) I finally saw some Krylon Fusion for Plastic in a Buttercream yellow that looked about right. Had to order it online since no one had it locally.

Finally got my **** and the paint together and started spraying a couple weeks ago. The Fusion went on really nicely and after about 5 or 6 coats, was looking real good. Of course, I was not quite satisfied and decided it needed some clear coats to make it really “pop”. My local hardware had Krylon Fusion All in One, which says it is for “all” surfaces. Rather than order the Clear Fusion for Plastic online, I grabbed the All in One. I waited 7 days on the color coat, per directions, and then sprayed a coat of the clear. Instant f--k-up! The color coat dissolved in many places and “curdled” up. A total mess. WTF? Apparently, not all Fusion is the same. After I calmed down, I hung the body to dry for a day and then hit it with 220 grit and removed all the “curdle” and did a tooth sanding on the whole thing. I had enough of the Buttercream left for about two more coats, so I sprayed a color coat. WTF? The color coat curdled the spots on the body where I had not removed all the clear. GREAT! Well, three hours, a half a quart of Naptha, and two T shirts later, I have removed all the new color coat and all the clear coat I put on and a little of the original 5 coats of color. Fortunately, the earlier Buttercream was old enough that the Naptha didn’t remove much of it. The body looks like someone attempted a “relic” job on it and chickened out. Out of disgust, I hung the POS back in the closet, and life goes on.

So now, I have spent $12 on paint remover, $60 on paint, $10 on Naptha, $15 on sandpaper, and about 20 hours of valuable time on a POS $90 partscaster, and still don’t have a finished guitar. Not only that, I had to drink half a $40 bottle of gin to get rid of the headache from the naptha fumes. What? Ventilation? Gloves? Brain damage? What kind of woos do you think I am. Hey, I didn’t get to be 72 by reading all the f--king warning labels, you know! And besides that, I wouldn’t have typed nearly as verbose a story if I was sober!

2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

Don't worry, you'll be OK after the buzz wears off. :)

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Old duck likes this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Two words

Fire

Pit

SlightReturn and Old duck like this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Ouch! No advice to give. You type very well for someone who has downed half a bottle of gin.:D

RoscoeElegante and Old duck like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Sometimes a project exists just to learn a new lesson....you got one.

Old duck likes this.
  6. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

Well, that took an hour and a half and had to be corrected about a thousand times. I've found that sometimes, typing up the story makes it seem kind of laughable rather than demoralizing. I wouldn't have posted it had I been a little more lucid. Besides, that wasn't straight gin, it was gin and tonic. The tonic keeps you pretty sober, I'm told.

Steve 78 likes this.
  7. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

Yep, this is the last POS I'm going to deal with. I'm redoing several guitars right now, but they are all $2k or so and and not in bad shape to begin with. I can put up with a lot more crap for them. I may be a slow learner, but I do learn.

Milspec likes this.
  8. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

i love the smell of Naptha in the morning, it smells like...victory

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Naphtha won't remove much at all. It'll mar/mess up enamels but won't hurt lacquers, urethanes, epoxies or other coatings at all.

And next time read the MSDS sheets - and wear a cartridge respirator and goggles like it says.

Wally likes this.
  10. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

Uh, I though that was napalm?

11. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

Well, just for information, it'll remove Krylon Fusion pretty well if it is not fully cured, and lifes already too long to get all hung up about MSDS sheets.

12. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Your mind set may cause cancer in the state of California. What are MSDS sheets? A sheet form of solvent?

A better product than Naphtha for removing paint is Methyl Ethyl Ketone and/or lacquer thinner. To keep your geezer man card, do not wear a respirator and use in a confined space.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Old duck likes this.
  13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Respectfully - if you want to follow that thinking I guess there's nothing I can do to convince you - but I hope no one else does.

Some of the materials used in finishing can permanently damage your respiratory system. In my career I saw guys in hospice with terminal emphysema that could have been prevented by using respirators instead of useless "dust masks".

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Pr@ctice, practice, practice?? (;^)

Steve 78 likes this.
  15. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

I appreciate your concern, and wouldn't recommend my behavior or my life to my worst enemy.....well, maybe one. But anyway, I don't mean to come off as a dick, but I'm not thinking that long term effects will apply to me. Naptha is not like breathing something like a catalyzed polyurethane paint that can kill in minutes or hours. If I thought I was going to live long enough for naptha vapors to kill me. I'd just kill myself now and get it over with. I just do this stuff to kill what little time I have. Also, I don't have a respirator....

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Confirmed: gin is for... umm... experts.

Old duck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.