Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Too easy - right?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JustPlay, Sep 8, 2017.

1. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

To all:

I am installing a GFS dual lipstick single humbucker in a tele build. I should mention that it has the kwickplug system.

I would like it to have one volume, and one tone control. I have 2 - CTS pots - one "standard" 500k - and one push-pull 500k with the newer style wiring block.

I'd like to use that one as both a volume and a (separate) coil split pot. The more standard one will serve as the tone control.

It doesn't matter to me if the north or south is the single coil...

If anyone can provide a diagram I would really appreciate it! The more detail the better!

Thanks in advance,
    Will

2. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Any info appreciated! I plan to just give it a go tomorrow...

3. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

There is only a red, white, black and bare conductor /? I would settle for just knowing how to wire it even as a basic humbucker . One volume one tone . Any assistance please! Thanks - Will

4. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    Three wires? Slightly odd. Usually there are four or five. Let me find a diagram of the GFS pup really quick.

5. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    I read it wrong. Sorry. Four is about the minimum. Without testing it I wouldn't know which ones are which. Hopefully the paperwork that came with the pup tells you what each wire is. One should be north start, one is north finish, one is south start, one is south finish. For a standard hum, I typically put north finish to south start. North start runs as my ground and south finish works as my output to pot. I would wire it so the bare wire is my ground and one of the shielded ends up being my output. Seymour Duncan has a great diagram resource for pickups. You can do almost any configuration with what they provide. Are you only running that one pickup? If so then the poles aren't as important. If you have another pup going in though, you need to know the poles on the lipstick. If you do a coil split and run it in conjunction with another pickup, the polarity of the magnets must be opposite or they will cancel out. Sounds like absolute garbage. I think Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac used to wire his guitars intentionally for this, but not a tone I like.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Looks like a typical low DCR hummer wired in series. images (24).jpg

You can use the junction of the North and South coils to split the coils with your push-pull. I suspect a single off this is going to be low-output

Red to switch, black to common ground.

7. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still confused:

There are only three coated wires (red, white, black) and a bare ground.

If I forget the cool tap is there even any way to wire the pickup for one volume and one tone? Thanks very much!!! Will

8. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Please let me start over -

To all:

I have a dual lipstick GFS pickup with a Kwickplug 3 conductor (White, red, black) plus bare ground cable.

The info that came with it reads as follows:

White = Coil tap
    Red= Signal +
    Black = Ground
    Copper = Pickup shield ground

Given that, could someone please show me how to wire a CTS push poll pot (with the side block) for the coil tap & volume -- along with a separate (standard) CTS pot to be used for the tone.

Please be as specific as possible. A marked up diagram would be really great.

My apologies in advance if I am just being dense on this one...it happens.

Thanks in advance,
    Will

Yesterday at 3:27 PM
    + QuoteReply

9. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Here's a diagram that will work for you. You just have to convert the Seymour Duncan color codes to GFS color codes like so:

North Start = Red Signal
    North Finish + South Finish = White Coil Tap
    South Start + Bare Shield = Black Ground + Copper shield

[​IMG]

10. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Does your pot look like this? 1504971873083.jpg

If so attach your white coil tap into "C1". Then run a jumper from "1" to ground. Follow the rest of the diagram as normal. Are you planning on abandoning your quick connect?

11. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Yes, my pot looks like that. Are the little tabs on the side the ground post? And yes, I really didn't even want the quick disconnect - would you advise cutting that off and splicing into the lead coming off the pickup? This is just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!!!

12. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Short answer is yes but, do you have a picture of the pickup lead handy? Don't do anything until you post a pic and get confirmation.

In regards to the pot - It's important to understand that the push/pull function is completely independent of the traditional pot function. Not to discourage you, but have to wired a guitar up before?

13. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Got it. Thanks all.

14. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Thanks. What if I forgo the coil tap? Using the GFS red, black, white, and bare - with 2 / 500k pots - can you show me a diagram to use for the basic single humbucker wiring? Thanks!

15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I put an Eden lipstick HB (same things as GFS?) in my Eastwood baritone, and intended to split the coils. But since I initially hooked it up to see how the HB sounded, I haven't bothered to add a coil split; it seems unnecessary for my 'clean tones' purpose.

So I'm curious how your works out with a coil split, if you go that route: with these lipsticks, aside from a drop in output, is the single coil mode all that different from the humbucker?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.