Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tone sucking pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jguitarman, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    Recently I joined a variety band and I have started using more pedals than ever. I've always pretty much been a guitar direct into amp with tuner (direct bypass) and maybe a dirt pedal player. I now use a Peterson Strobostomp, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Fulltone OCD (v.1), a Fulltone Fat Boost, and a Dunlop CryBaby wah.
    Last night during a gig my cable going from my guitar to the tuner (first in line) crapped out in the middle of a set. I unplugged the cable going from the last pedal to the amp and put that in the guitar as a quick fix. In other words, I ran straight into the amp. Immediately I could hear an improvement in the quality of the tone. Now I'm frustrated. I need these pedals but I am convinced that they do suck tone. I believe the Fulltone and Peterson pedals are direct bypass which would indicate to me that they should not suck tone.
    If it matters, I use batteries and no direct ac source.
    Is there a way to use the pedals without the degradation in tone?

2. lioncommandking

lioncommandking Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2007
    marrero,la.(New Orleans)
    Using a buffer helps restore your tone jguitarman. But know that even using direct bypass pedals has an effect on your tone. There are some real good dedicated buffers or I've read here that Boss pedals function well for this purpose. I too have just yesterday, stuck a Boss GE-7 at the beginning of my pedal chain. It seems to help. Wow, I think the Crybaby wah may be your biggest culprit. But a buffer should help.

3. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

May 24, 2011
    Baltimore
    Crybaby, and the Boss, if you leave it off most of the time. Or, you are using too much cable and need moar buffer?

First, try a shorter cable to the board, that's what I usually do, then try each pedal by itself and see if you notice any difference. Figure out which one affects your sound when off (or on) and then see what can be done about it. It's hard to solve the problem with so many variables.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    It's a well perpetuated myth that true bypass
    eliminates "tone suck" but this isn't quite true.
    It could be the cables between pedals as well.
    It could be the long cables from guitar to board,
    then board to amp. It's probably a combination of all
    of them in conjunction.

But using TB in tandem with pedals with good buffers
    is better than TB alone.

There's a web site that explains this well, but I can't recall
    the page name now. I think it might have been Stinkfoot's
    page. Or it could have been Beavis's page. Do a little searching
    and you'll surely find it. I have a buffered pedal at the beginning,
    middle and end of my board. I have no tone loss. The one time I noticed it
    happening, I traced it to a short jumper between pedals that was getting
    fouled up for mysterious reasons. Replaced the cable, and all was back to
    normal.

And if memory serves, wah pedals are notorious for tone loss.

6. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern California
    You can put the tone suckers on a loop an bypass them when not in use

7. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    NY
    I bet the Cry Baby is the biggest offender. Try pulling that out of the chain and compare. If you notice that that is the biggest cause you might want to convert it to true bypass.

8. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

May 9, 2010
    Singapore
    Wouldn't hurt to get a power supply unit as well. I hate having to put in new batteries before a gig.

9. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    Hey, lots of good advice here from each one of you. I'm not familiar with a buffer but I will research and find out. Also, I am curious to see what is on the Stinkfoot and Beavis pages regarding tone suck. It's hard to crank the volume much where I live but I have a gig Saturday and will experiment with pulling the wah out of the chain and see if that makes a difference. I only use it for three songs so no big deal pulling it.

Question for Progbusters: Are you suggesting that I create a loop with an ABY box or do you have another way? I have a Morley ABY box, (hope it doesn't suck tone) and could try that.
    As far as cables go, I always use the shortest cables possible. With this band I am playing a Les Paul Standard and a Tele and run through a '68 dripedge Deluxe Reverb with a Weber Feromax ceramic speaker.
    Thanks for your advice!

10. justin.ray

justin.ray Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2010
    Lindale, Texas
    I've got a crybaby and it sucks tone like a champ! I'm cheap and don't use the wah much, so when I've got a song in a set that I need a wah for, I mute with my tuner, unplug from my board and plug in my wah before my board. Labor intensive, but for 1 out of 100 songs...

YMMV, especially if you're in a Metallica cover band.

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Hahahaha! :lol:

12. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Apr 2, 2011
    Akl NZ
    The Boss buffer should be fine. The crybaby, however.. . . .. .

One buffer per 20ft of cable seems to be a good way to go, but if it sounds good with more, why worry? (Excl. the crybaby)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.