Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tone pots aren't working as they should. Help!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Sky Bluefeather, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Sky Bluefeather

Sky Bluefeather TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    I just wired up a strat build I've been working on for awhile. All of the 5 positions work, volume works. However, only the middle pickup seems to be affected by a tone pot. When I turn down the tone pot for the neck pickup, it does nothing for awhile and then just cuts out (there's no signal), kinda like a volume pot. When I turn down the bridge tone pot it does nothing at all. The back tone pot is wired to the bridge and middle pickup, and the front tone pot to the neck pickup. I suspect it might be one of my capacitor legs is making contact on top of the middle tone pot. Would this be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Holt likes this.
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I had this problem once. Post a picture of your wiring and someone smarter than I will help you get it fixed. On a typical strat wiring scheme one leg of your capacitor should go from the outside lug on the first tone pot to the center lug on the rear tone pot. The other leg of the capacitor should go to ground. I like to use heat shrink tubing on the the leg that goes to the tone pots just to make sure that it doesn't make contact with the back of the pot at any point.

3. Sky Bluefeather

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    That's a good idea, should have done that. I knew when I was wiring it up that it touching might be a problem

4. Sky Bluefeather

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    Okay I opened it up today.... I can't see an obvious problem. I'll continue to search the internet to see if I can find a fix. Any input from here would be appreciated. Here's a pic. 1531211792588437168555394575201.jpg

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Okay, you did the exact same thing I did and it's an easy fix. You have one leg going to each pot.

You should have one side of the capacitor going through the two tone pot lugs and the other side going to the ground. This picture is an in progress picture I took the other day while wiring so it isn't complete, but it illustrates my point. In this picture the capacitor needs to be connected to the back of the tone pot and it will be installed correctly. Hope this helps :) 20180603_135049.jpg

6. Sky Bluefeather

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    Thank you very much! That fixed it.

Steve Holt likes this.
  7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Glad I could help! And curious that no one else chimed in. Usually I'm the one needing help for my wiring woes. But like I said, I did this exact same thing once and had to post a thread to get some help.

Now how about some pictures of that strat! Here are the two I just finished!

20180619_231626.jpg

8. Sky Bluefeather

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    Those look beautiful! Here's mine, it's my first build. The neck I made from scratch, the body I recarved and refinished. IMG_20180711_135739.jpg

bender66 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.