Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tone pot seems to only adjust volume (not tone) on Tele bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by fretful, Nov 10, 2017.

1. fretful

fretful Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2007
    Kent, UK
    Is the consensus that this means pickup - on 90s MIJ JD Tele - is in need of replacement? Sounds nice if a bit thin but there's no control over its "tone"... Tone works fine on neck pickup.

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Dead pu , or maybe dying....

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I should add , please go through the usual wiring issues that shold be checked first , before changing the pu. Make sure you try to re flow the two blobs of solder on the pu , before they actually become wires on the flatwork

4. fretful

fretful Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2007
    Kent, UK
    Thanks, that’s what I thought.

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    A simple measurement of the resistance between the blobs ( after reflowing ) will tell the tale

6. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    .....usually a sign of a short in the coil,rewind if its a vintage/upmarket P/U,otherwise a good excuse to shop around for an upgrade....

7. drew1d

drew1d TDPRI Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Westchester NY
    If you have both pickups on, does it seem to cancel sound out in some pot positions? pickup "hot" wire reversed? I say that, because from the "hot" ground, the tone knob would be passing resistance in series as you turned it. Thus making it quieter.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

8. fretful

fretful Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2007
    Kent, UK
    Both pickups on it simply reduces volume I think rather than tone. (To some extent Tele tone does add a kind of volume via treble I suppose.) Tone works fine on neck pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.