Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tone pot question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ALNICOJOE, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ALNICOJOE

ALNICOJOE TDPRI Member

Oct 18, 2013
    San Diego, Ca
    I have a 500K tone and volume pots. The tone pot does nothing until the last 80-90% and then it just grounds to mud. Is that unusual for a 500K pot. Thinking I might have a bad pot? Any experts care to chime in?

Thanks in advance!

24 track likes this.

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    It's probably linear, rather than audio taper. What markings are on its case?

ALNICOJOE likes this.

3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Some are like that even though they are not linear. There may be wiring schemes out there that help too if it's a Gibson style 4 pot setup, , I'm not sure.

ALNICOJOE likes this.

4. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Burlington, Ct
    I built a couple of Jazzmaster types and used linear taper. Yup-same thing. Use audio taper on vol/tone pots. Oh-and take a good hard look at who made them-and where. Caveat Emptor...

ALNICOJOE likes this.

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I've gotten into this discussion before with a friend. I thought it was audio taper that has the dramatic fall off.

I buy linear pots & get a nice sweep all the way to zero.

ALNICOJOE and schmee like this.

6. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    In my experience, CTS 10% audio taper volume pots have that dramatic fall off around 8, and linear pots don't do much until you get to the other end of the sweep. With tone pots, the 10% taper doesn't bother me at all.

But other factors affect pots' behavior, and we don't have enough information to know exactly what's happening here.

ALNICOJOE likes this.

7. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Is it '50s wiring? As well as being interactive, I had that same effect with the tone control until I changed it to 'modern' wiring. Also, in my experience, clean tones are more affected by the tone control than overdriven or distorted.

ALNICOJOE and schmee like this.

8. ALNICOJOE

ALNICOJOE TDPRI Member

Oct 18, 2013
    San Diego, Ca
    It says, "Emerson Pro 500K" Those are the only markings on the Pot.

24 track likes this.

9. ALNICOJOE

ALNICOJOE TDPRI Member

Oct 18, 2013
    San Diego, Ca
    I emailed Emerson Custom and got this response today. They have great customer service.

I guess I'm more used to a tone pot that sounds like a wah-wah.

Hello Jeff,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. Our Emerson Pro Pots have a unique audio taper that is different than what you'll find in most guitars. Our pot taper is a 30% vintage audio taper which means at half rotation (knob rolled down to 5), 30% of the signal is still audible, where as on a standard audio taper pot only 10% of the signal would still be audible, so the standard audio taper pot will make the tone cap go darker much faster than our Emerson Pro Pots, but that doesn't mean its not working, its still working (bleeding off high frequencies) from 10-3 on the knob rotation, its just not as strong as what most people are used to. We designed our pots to have this more useable taper as it gives the player more choices to dial in the exact amount of treble roll off they want instead of going full bore muffled or bright like the standard audio taper provides. If you listen closely when using our tone pots it will decrease the treble from 10-3, and we think you'll dig it. There isn't anything wrong with our tone pots, they just work differently than what some people are used to. Everyone's ears are different and hear treble and bass frequencies better, sooner, or clearer than others so there really isn't a "one size fits all" approach to pot tapers and capacitor values.

I hope this info helps.

Cheers

Mitch Ingram // Owner

Rickaphonic and 24 track like this.

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    this may help explain what is happening

LINEAR_VS_LOGARITHMIC_POTS.jpg

audio taper gives a slow sweep up until abour 50% then a steep sweep from 50%-100% as were a linear taper pot is consistantly smooth all the way from 0% to 100%

ALNICOJOE likes this.

11. ALNICOJOE

ALNICOJOE TDPRI Member

Oct 18, 2013
    San Diego, Ca
    And this.....

Thanks Jeff,

If you want a faster roll-off you can always experiment with a high value tone cap... 0.047uf, 0.1uf, 0.22uf etc

Thanks

LutherBurger and 24 track like this.

12. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I was going to recommend the same thing after reading the first response. If you want the tone control to "do more" near the top of its rotation, you can replace the pot with a lower value or different taper, or replace the cap with a higher value.

ALNICOJOE likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.