Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

tone knob ?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by capt bp, Jun 7, 2018.

1. capt bp

capt bp TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    in my new to me American Tele,, the tone knob seems to have a Off or a click detente,, in stead of a smooth rotation ,, I have yet to plug it in ,, any idea what this is?

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Isn't that the tbx tone thing?
    Center point has a small click and, going clockwise from there, you're boosting.
    The point of the click, as I understood it, was to let your fingers know where the middle of the span was located.
    Experts - straighten us out.
    Peace - Deeve

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    My Am. Dlx. Strat also has that at the "10" spot on the bridge/middle tone knob, because at that point it's actually removed from the signal path.

4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Is the detent in the middle or at one end

5. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yes, sounds like a TBX tone circuit if at the center of rotation. CCW from the center detent is normal tone circuit spread over 1-5 instead of 1- 10. (treble at 5, bass at 1) 5-10 is kind of a enhanced tone, mostly sparkle.
    Some other circuits have tone by pass if at the end of rotation.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Some of Fender's 'no load' pots have the detent from '9' to '10'
    '10' being the bypassed 'no load' sound.

7. capt bp

capt bp TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    It is at the end or a stop

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Yep, that's a no-load pot. I have one in a Tele, and I like it a lot.

Before the detent, it's basically a normal 250k pot. When you click it into the full clockwise position, the capacitor and the pot's resistance disappear from the circuit and you'll probably notice a slight increase in volume and treble.

9. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Which BTW shoots down the claim by some folks that the tone cap rating doesn't matter when a standard (non-detent) pot is fully open. It does IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  10. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    That was not my intent, and I don't think what I posted "shoots down" any such claim... unless you're a bat.

11. tap4154

I added IMHO and won't argue it.

Carry on.

12. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    So you ARE a bat. Please forgive my presumptuousness. :D

13. tap4154

Not a bat, just trying to maintain some detente...

err-ah

LutherBurger likes this.
  14. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    :lol:

tap4154 likes this.
  15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Hi Capt,
    I agree with LutherBurger that what you are describing sounds like a no-load pot for the tone knob. If wired just like a normal modern tele tone pot it will behave just as he describes.
    But there is another application that a no-load tone pot is sometimes used for and that is a blender circuit, where, with the switch in the "bridge" position, rolling the tone knob back, out of the detent. slowly adds in the neck pickup such that at the "0" position the neck and bridge are equal, just like the normal middle switch position. You'll know for sure whenever you plug it in and either of the wirings described above can be changed out into the opposite one with a 15 minute solder job. So enjoy it either way.
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.