Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tone Benders and their respectable copies

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by drob, May 25, 2017.

1. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    Toronto
    Forgive the repeat of other posts, but I've read as much as I could find...

My son is totally into mid to late 60's garage rock, and is looking for the perfect fuzz. I'd like to get him one for his upcoming birthday. He tells me the Tone Bender is the signature sound he's looking for. But open to opinions. From what I've read, the mkii is likely the one given the date range he's trying to copy. But I could be entirely wrong.

I can't quite determine which copy we should be looking for. I think he plans to use it almost as an always on so he's really looking for a pedal that is primarily great for chords. For leads, a boost in front or after for would be ideal. He plays through a Deluxe Reverb with an Alnico speaker.

The list I've gathered so far include. I've put what I believe to be the Tone Bender version beside it:

Fulltone Soul Bender (mkiii)
    EQD Tone Reaper (mkii)
    SolidGold FX Rosie (mkii)
    WayHuge Havalina (mkiii)

Will any of these fit the bill or can you recommend another?

2. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Earthquaker Devices are quality. I didn't price compare but I do know the Tone Reaper get great reviews.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Lovepedal Bonetender, bad part is even used, people are asking almost full retail price. But I guess that speaks to how desirable they are. I got my gold one on his half price sale for $80.

[​IMG]

4. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    Toronto
    I love that it's a mini.

5. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    Also check out the Park Fuzz Sound, also by EQD.
    It's basically an MK III, but a really versatile Tone Bender fuzz nonetheless.

mitchfinck likes this.

6. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I personally think the tonebender mkII is the best vintage fuzz pedal of the many I've tried, so much so that I built my own. I seem to recall that BYOC has a good clone of it, but I haven't really checked it out to see if they use the period-correct germanium transistors (which is the only way to go, IMO... beware of the clones that say they use silicon transistors).
    Although BYOC sells pedal kits, I believe you can order them assembled if you prefer to not build it yourself...

7. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Ive had a WH Havalina for a while now. A very good vintage sounding fuzz. I'd say its close to a tone bender, but mixed with a bit of swollen pickle. So if you're looking for a true tone bender, I'd look elsewhere. Otherwise, the havalina is great vintage germanium fuzz.

8. jgordito

jgordito TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Utah
    I really like my tone reaper. I'm finding I use it more than any other od,distortion, or fuzz that I have. Tons of different sounds in one box. I would recommend reading the manual as the knobs aren't necessarily intuitive

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley

10. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    Not a straight clone, but pretty mk ii-ish is the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe. It's a very good sounding, very versatile tonebender style fuzz. Check it out before making a decision, as I think it would cover all the ground your son is looking to cover now and be versatile enough that it would still serve him well if his musical style changes a bit in the years to come.

Iago likes this.

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Twin Bender by Rambler FX. Accept no substitutes

Very flexible.

ramble-fx-twin-bender-3.jpg

Chiogtr4x, Iago, tweedman2001 and 3 others like this.

12. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I like the demo , thanks for posting this demo. wow ! :cool:

tweedman2001 likes this.

13. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    Toronto
    That looks and sounds great, although expensive and complicated.

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    You might get more replys on TGP. Tone Benders have long been a hot topic over there.

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Go to the Monsterpiece site....Richard is a fuzz EXPERT.....
    Big differences between the various Bender variants.....I have his Mk1 and it nails the Beck/Page Yardbirds tone plus it does the Mick Ronson with Bowie Thing.

Be forewarned: it is not a Fuzz Face. With a FF the guitarist is in control, with a Mk1, the fuzz is calling the shots....but in the coolest way possible.

Doug 54 likes this.

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Lol, I'm imagining band mates looking over at the guitar player with raised eyebrows after a solo, and he just shrugs and says, "Sorry guys but the fuzz is calling the shots."

17. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    One of the nice things on the twin bender I am seeing is the mid boost. Most of the mid-late 60's garage was not played on mid-scooped blackfaces. That eq may be a good compensation.

What bands is he listening to?

18. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    The italian vox tonebender or fuzzrite/orpheum are what I think of for mid 60s garage/surf rock/protopsych sounds.

19. thirteendevils

thirteendevils TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2007
    UK

20. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    Yeah, this really is a good one. There are a bunch of good ones currently available, honestly. The Ramble FX one is right up there with the best though.

tweedman2001 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.