Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tomsline pedals, any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by chrisgblues, Dec 16, 2014.

1. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2010
    Halifax
    There are a bunch of pedals on Ebay right now called "Tomsline Engineering" coming out of China for a really low price. I just snagged a delay for $29.99 complete with shipping.

I'm quite sure these guys are cloning previous designs, but I can't tell what designs. They don't really look like anything I've seen before out of China. Here is a link to their website, the parent company is called Aroma.

http://tomsline.com/product/

Any clue as to where they cloned their designs?

2. dntfeartherevrb

dntfeartherevrb Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2014
    Panora, Iowa
    Not sure what they are cloning. I had the OD/Distortion, not a bad pedal, but it didn't fit for me. I flipped it after a couple months. For some reason it sounded really good boosted by another pedal and with the gain cranked to 3:00 or higher.

3. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2010
    Halifax
    Well I got my Tomsline (Aroma) delay pedal from China the other day. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
    1. It works!
    2. Sounds good, delays are clean and clear
    3. Knobs are solid when you turn them
    4. It's true bypass (if you like that sort of thing)
    5. No background noise
    6. Only took 3 weeks from China to Canada
    7. It's CHEAP...$29.00 shipped to my door
    8. Aluminum enclosure
    9. Easy access battery compartment on the back

Cons:
    1. It has the wrong graphics! It says "Metal" instead of "Delay"
    2. Everything is board mounted...jacks, dc input, switch, pots, everything. This is not a problem...until it's a problem ;)

I won't gush over it, but it sounds very good and works fine and it's cheap. And for what it's worth I'm pretty sure it's all analog but I could be wrong. Good buy.
    JMHO. YMMV.

4. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Just saw on them ebay. Looks like there is a reseller out of NJ now. $32.59 for a delay, much shorter shipping time.

5. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2012
    Pacific Rim USA
    Notice the Delay's enclosure color is almost the same shade of gold/yellow as the "Metal". I can only imagine the supervisor screaming at the line workers over that mistake. Maybe they made thousands like that.

6. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    These have been around a while. Aroma also introduced a mini range, which looks pretty much as you'd expect it to.

7. I just got the delay, wanted to try it since it was so cheap. Which ever way I use this thing it generates so much and so so many kinds of noise it's completely unusable.

8. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but has anyone had/have any experience with the Tomsline Mario/bitcrusher pedal? I just found out about it late last night, but I can't find a single video for it demoing it on a guitar. I've been considering a EQD Bit Commander; mainly because I want to play with those NES-style sounds. While I realize the tomsline pedal isn't going to be anywhere near the EQD pedal, it might get me in the ballpark, and the tomsline is $40 shipped which is over $100 less the the cheapest Bit Commander I can find.

If you have one of the Mario/Bitcrusher tomsline, please chime in and let me know what you think.

thanks,
    Phil

9. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Yeah, saw these in Aliexpres... they look like a rebadged ENO/ Mooer to me.

10. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    I don't think so, the housing and range of circuits seem very different from me.

Sure there's a resemblance, but I don't think what you're suggesting is literally the case here.

Re the bitcrusher pedal the poster before asked about: I say go for it. If $40 isn't too much to lost in the case of disappointment, then no problem. Chances are it will do its job reasonably well, but might not have brilliant long-term prospects if you're gigging it.

I think you have a reasonable right to expect a pedal that works and is reasonably sturdy (compared to the olden days of plastic rubbish - this new pot metal rubbish is much better). I think you shouldn't expect extremely high quality, detailed instructions, attention to decorative detail (mislabelled knobs etc). You may have a quirky led, some kind of operational noise at worst, but perhaps not.

This is based on my experience of a few different things from aliexpress. Not found anything terrible yet.

I doubt you'll find a poster who owns one of these that quickly. Have a trawl through aliexpress listings for this product, see if there are any feedback comments left for them (take whatever you find with a pinch of salt).

You might just have to be a pioneer on this one :)

11. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    I respect your opinion man but, it's just that I had an ENO before and now a MOOER pedal and they even have the same box! :p I have feeling that this is just in same factory and they will just differ on how much quality they need put in for their company depending on their budget...

I watched this show before that those 'hi-end' shades and those cheaper once were just made in the same factory! They just differ with some of the parts and at times just the brand... :D

12. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    I see. I am aware that this happens an awful lot - if you have access to the moulds/other tooling, why not make use of it if there is no law against it? I thought that the Tomsline stuff looked sufficiently different to not be a case of this (not that there are not tons of brands other than Tomsline that these are sold under). However, your experience clearly shows that there is more to it than this.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    They do not. Examine the corners and you'll notice they are different. Someone had even opened up a Mooer and an Eno of a similar pedal and the PC boards were also laid out differently.

14. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    I skipped the tomsline butcrusher, I found a video of it attached to a piano, and a soundcloud recording of a guitar through one and both sounded overly noisy, even at rest. I sold some stuff from another hobby I have and just bit the bullet and bought a EQD bit commander. I've watched enough demos of that to know I'll more then likely be happy with the results. Plus it will be here on Monday not 3-6 weeks from now. :) maybe if a us reseller picks them up I'll grab one for comparison...

It's good to know these cheap pedals out of china are reasonable reliable. I'm only playing for fun in my home so I can't always be buying boutique pedals. But I've been drooling over the bit commander for months.

15. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    They mean packaging, not the housing itself.

That said, every chicken shop in England uses the same "Tasty Chicken!" box, but it doesn't mean every chicken shop is the same...

16. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    These cheap pedals are very good for the most part. If you're after a classic circuit, I'd said they're the first place to look.

Also, I loled at "butcrusher".

17. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I'm about to pull the trigger on their 'bass limiter' to see if it can bump my Boss LM2....

18. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Interesting stuff guys.

I'm looking to replace my Boss tuner to create space on my board. Anyone have any experience with their tuner. Visually it looks a lot like the Aroma and at $25 (there are cheaper mini ones out there too, but I want to make sure it's true bypass and mutes while tuning).

19. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Bought a Tomsline tuner for $20-$25 to replace my Boss TU-2 for space considerations.

It works fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.