Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tom Waits meets the Stones in the Hindu Kush (mix content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    I thought long and hard before posting this one ... it's pretty bizarre (even for me) ... an adaptation of a 500-year-old Hindu chant. I kicked it around for nearly a year trying different treatments; one thing led to another and it ended up like this.

Kevin the ScatMan helped me work the kinks out of the mix, including a daring drum-track rescue — huge hunks of my MIDI drum data somehow got hosed, and the only complete version of the drums I had was a reverb-drenched audio copy. ... He managed to convert that back into digital form (MIDI file), and it was pretty dang accurate. Saved my bacon ... I swear, that cat's always thinkin'! ;)

A few mix notes:

* The gruff vocal is three copies of the same track — one untouched, one with vocoder, and one with long reverb using substantial pre-delay (panned +7 / 0 / -7).

* The percussion part is a sample of an Indian drum whose name I can't remember (sort of like trombone bongos), and the Bansuri flute is also a sample.

* The outro (the actual chant) features my luvly wife RC as a female vocal section in the call-and-answer. That's her singing harmony vocals on the choruses too.

* Hate to admit it, even though you'll know it with the first note, but the bass is MIDI too. I wrote it as a scratch track in March using an electric fretless model, figuring I'd go back and play real bass ... but the part worked over numerous versions, so I never felt the need. (May revisit that subsequently if my old bassman buddy Tom climbs aboard.)

The hard part about writing this one was reconciling the Vedic spiritual vibe with good ol' heathen rock 'n' roll and railroad-bum lyrics. Here's hoping the Old Gods approve. ... This mix is from December — it's pretty wet, in pursuit of an otherworldly atmosphere, but I figured I'd let you guys slap it around some before I dive back into it! :D

Feed Your Soul

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2006
    South central Mass.
    Ooooo...me likeee

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" T. Waits

3. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    Woodman,

I always enjoy what you put out! Thank you for posting. Thank you for playing great music that has soul and a vibe.
    Thank you for playing the Telecaster.
    By the way, I like the way you sing!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Cool and full of vibe. Diiiiig it!

6. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Haha! Thanx, pal. You may be in a peculiar minority, though! :p:D:lol:

7. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I love it. Great overall sound, the vocal is excellent. Can I paypal you $1.29 for a copy for my itunes collection? :lol:
    Actually I am serious.

8. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    You should be able to download it for free from Soundcloud. :)

9. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    That was great! Thanks for posting. I can listen to that one again!

10. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2010
    Gotham City
    That was way cool. Thanks, Woodman.

11. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Jul 7, 2008
    Texas
    This is one of my favorite woodshed tunes from you Woody!

Doesn't come across to me as 'bizarre' at all.. some eastern leaning thoughts with eastern music instrumentation nestled in a western rock setting.

Now, if you could find a way to mesh Indian Ragas with rock, that would be something! Even George and Ravi couldn't do it, but they gave it a go.. ;)

12. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Many thanks to all! Lately I've been drawn to more experimental forms, and I'm a little self-conscious about it, so appreciate the vote of confidence!

Wow, the raga form is formidable ... scale variations interlocking with percussive patterns in relationships I've never fully understood. That would take some homework! :D

13. Lizard

Lizard Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2012
    Left of the Dial
    Woodman, I dig it! You hit the nail on the head with Tom Waits meets the Stones. Great description for that tune. Love your stuff.

14. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
  15. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Well, yes I knew that...

16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
  17. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Idaho
    That was great, i really liked the feel of the vocal mix. Im trying to hear the vocoder, how did you use it?

18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Cool. Enjoyed it and I too like the description. Never know which way experimentation will take you.

19. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    No vocoder side-chain or any of that — just used the "sci-fi voice" sound and blended just enough of it in with the dry and reverb vocal tracks to grunge it up a little.

20. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    That was excellent!

Cheers,
    Geoff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.