Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tom Scholz guitar gizmos

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Knowcaster, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was watching recent Boston video and spotted a couple of unusual contraptions on Tom's gold top Les Paul - one at the nut, extending up to the first and sixth tuners, and one where the stop bar usually is. Anyone know what they are and what they do?

Here is a screen shot:

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 8.51.24 AM.png

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The device on the bridge/tailpiece for adjusting the pitch/tuning of all 6 strings, simultaneously.
    The device by the nut facilitates that.
    Shux, ol' Tom is almost as smart as me.;)
    A truly brilliant guy!

fendrguitplayr and BB like this.

3. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    All I know is the Rockman saved my sanity when there was a wife and 3 kids in the house in the 80’s. I could sneak down in the basement and jam for hours. Never listened much to Boston but God bless Tom Schulz.

BB likes this.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Interesting. The top piece looks like some kind of invention, maybe for better intonation?

5. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    from: http://www.thirdstage.ca/boston/art...ing-talking-les-pauls-with-bostons-tom-scholz

Other than the Mighty Mouse sticker, are your Les Pauls stock?

No. I do a lot of messing around. That year and model came with the big soap bar P-90s pickups, which I love, but I had a lot of trouble with them in the ’70s. The lighting systems back then made everything buzz. They put out tremendous amounts of RF. I had to take out the bridge pickups and install humbucking pickups so I could get on stage.

On one guitar I have a tuning device that changes the tension on all the strings by the same amount, so I can go up or down incrementally. We do a lot of outdoor playing so temperatures affect the strings. With a quick one-knob adjustment I can bring the guitar up or down a half step. It is purely a mechanical system. I was going to build an automated tuning system for the market--a one-button system that would tune all your strings to a programmed, pre-determined tension. But in general my Les Pauls stay in tune so well I never bothered to develop it.

I have another device that lifts the string so there’s very little friction up at the nut, and a custom built roller bridge so there’s no friction at the bridge. It’s mostly things that make the guitar easier for me to play.

The open strings on a guitar are never going to be quite perfectly in tune. And what size string you use and some other factors affect this, but in general the G is often a little flat, the high E will often be sharp. So I changed the shape of the nut and added pieces of steel to the neck to lift the string. I even have a fake fret behind the second fret on the high E string, so when I play an open D chord the F-sharp will be a little bit flat, which puts it into mathematically perfect pitch for a D chord.

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    That is really interesting - thanks for posting!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.