Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tom Rush - tell us what you know

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by boris bubbanov, Sep 20, 2017.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Urge for Going is just such a monster song.

I feel like this man got to keep his life intact, and avoided all the degradation of the Hustle.

But I don't know much - tell me what you know.

2. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    I'm no expert, but the better of my Folk music friends regard him as a GOD. Like Prine, Dylan, Paxton.

boris bubbanov likes this.

3. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Yes, Tom Rush should be a household name! It was Rush that introduced me to the likes of Joni Mitchell and Jackson Brown, and when I first began performing in public, during my college days at Kent State, it was part of a duo and we did at least 10 songs learned from Tom Rush records! My two favorites were the old folk song " Joshua Gone Barbados " and the Jackson Brown standard " These Days " ....and in some parts he is recognized as a God, Boston and the rest of New England....he is very much worth discovering if you don't know him....ymmv....

RJ

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Jim W and xafinity like this.

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    He was certainly a "God" in the Boston area and played there a lot. I remember seeing him at the old Park Street Under venue in '67, '68. He had a bass player and electric guitarist with him. He did all his big songs plus some surprising numbers-"Who Do You Love", "Circle Game"...Thing I remember most was him changing a guitar string in the most casual manner while talking to the audience. We stayed through 2 sets. I need to get some of his old stuff into my play rotation.

5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Thanks, BB. LOVE this song. Tom Rush is one I needed to remember today.

6. caimi

caimi TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Midwest
    I have been a big Tom Rush fan for over 40 years. He has always been a great interpreter of other artists' work, has written a few great folk songs himself and is currently recording a new album. Google him and check out his website.

7. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I remember hearing his version of Who Do You love as a young teenage kid in the mid-60s. It blew me away; it was so dark and sinister - he was completely believable as that nasty guy in the song. A few years later when I got into more of his music, I found out he wasn't nasty at all. He was just a great teller of tales and singer of songs.

Bob M likes this.

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    One of my all time favorites. First time I saw him was with Trevor Veitch + bass and drums, one of the best concerts I ever went too. All his albums are excellent and worth owning.

rjtwangs likes this.

9. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Driving Wheel caught my ears

10. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Hey Jimmy, how much did we listen to him in college?? Do you remember how Roger and I did " These Days "?? it was a great time James....

RJ

Jim W likes this.

11. boris bubbanov

Great posts!

And so, is it the consensus that Tom sidestepped the "Big Label Game" and did self promotion and thus was not at the mercy of executives who, if they don't kneecap you this year, might do so next year?

12. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Well no, Tom was signed to major labels during the height of his popularity....his first albums were on Prestige, then on to Elektra and then to Columbia( CBS Sony ) and he now has his own label....he was a big act for CBS back in the late 60's thru to the mid 70's....he is one of the truly great ones....ymmv....

RJ

Jim W likes this.

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I knew a woman who used to hit on him when he played in SF and Tom would flirt with her friend. She had a major crush on him.

Wrong End of the Rainbow was a favorite of mine.

14. boris bubbanov

I see.

I often remember hearing him on various radio stations outside the Deep South and then I resettled in New Orleans in 1971 and he seemed to disappear.

Then it was the late 1970s and he was talking about managing his own way, I suppose in somewhat the same way as Todd Rundgren did. It seemed to me that nobody else was doing that.

I apologize - I get a strange impression as to the development of some folks' careers because I went without a TV when everyone else had gotten in line. I remember stopping in to visit a friend and the crowd demanded I sit in and drink beer and watch Mannix or something. The script was all about shoot em up and half the characters in the story get killed - I gotta say, I wasn't conditioned to stuff like that. I'd dropped out of the TV scene when Red Skelton and Jimmy Durante were the stars. So anyway, I know the music but not the history on many artists.

15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    I recently got interested in the late Jesse Winchester and created a Jesse Winchester channel on Pandora for my morning commute. Tom Rush pops up frequently in the rotation, and it is has been great to rediscover him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.