TOM PETTY Signature Tele Needed!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Oakville Dave, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    AND...it's used! Not for me either, thanks.

2. Greggorios

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    I'm with you. I see them as "vanity" purchases for either mega fans of the artist or the wealthy. I guess it's all a matter of perspective; if you have a couple million in the bank what's 20 grand for a guitar.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Not sure who Gibson was expecting to buy the $5000 Vivian Campbell signature.

No offense to him, he is great and I love his playing, but I don't think there was much call for it.

4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Largo, Florida, USA
    To me, Tom Petty is/was a national treasure. He’s certainly deserving of a sig model. But I personally don’t need one. He (along with Keith and Bruce) are the reasons I picked up a Tele in the first place.

5. Greggorios

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Well said. :)

Hatfield92 likes this.
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia
    These sig. models, I don’t get. Ok I see honoring the man. The price is usually unrealistic, because it’s a limited amount of takers. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t say to myself, their making a replica of so and so’s guitar, “I gotta get that!”. In addition when I see a band and I see someone playing a tribute guitar on stage, I think it makes them look , to put it nicely, more than a little silly. Unless your in a tribute band you won’t look good on stage with SRVs #1, Jimmy Page Dragon Tele, or a Gene Simmons axe base, what ever that would be called. Just my take on it. No offense intended. Take your shots.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I've always thought that was Campbell's too. Those two always seemed to share gear. Lord knows they have enough.

Bruxist likes this.
  8. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Albuquerque
    I agree, the white Tele is probably a stock offering. The bigsby one is special. I vote for it

9. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Largo, Florida, USA
    I tend to agree with your sentiment. But if I had Ace’s flashing les from the dynasty tour, it would totally be part of my stage rig.

Jim622 likes this.
  10. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Largo, Florida, USA
    Also, there’s one current production sig Tele I’d consider buying. The Brad Paisley road worn sig. I hate the road worn part, but I picked one off the wall at the local guitar center not too long ago, and playing it just felt special. It was set up perfectly for me. It was super light, and it just seemed to SING. And this was unplugged.

1CC442A1-FCAF-43B3-A301-BF20A6B66BB9.jpeg

11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    I appreciate your agreement, but I'm not being entirely logical or altruistic :lol: I just have a thing for a Tele with a Bigsby and an atypical pickup configuration (I believe the red Tele has neck and middle humbuckers!). There are no current production one's I'm aware of, and any past models I can find tend to be expensive.

That being said, there is a clip of a Heartbreakers TV performance where Tom is playing the red Tele, and that thing sounds killer.

The blonde Wildflowers Tele with the red sticker totally screams "Tom Petty" to me, and it's a good look. But it's a little too "look at my Tom Petty guitar!" for me to want one of my own.

12. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If Fender were to issue a Petty signature Tele model I'd vote for the Red Dog.

13. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Well, it's kinda hard to get his signature now. Too bad no one thought of this while he was still alive.

14. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I second this!

Put me down for the black and gold tele from Long After Dark.

@Oakville Dave that last photo you posted is one of my favorites. I found it several months ago when I was looking to make a "custom" full size poster of Tom. That was the photo that made the cut!

15. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    The Tom Petty signature Ric was based on the prototype 660/12 from Damn the Torpedoes, famously Campbell's guitar as well ;)

Bruxist likes this.
  16. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Brad Paisley played Crooks almost exclusively for years, then ...Wham! Tele signature model.

I'm sure if the royalties are right, The Estate of Tom Petty will jump on it. :p

17. Greggorios

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Indeed. I love the whole idea of their (Tom, Mike & Heartbreaker's) "clubhouse". I love the pics of the mountains of amps and rows of guitars. Check out the pics online.

[​IMG]

18. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I think he warrants a signature Esquire over a Tele. After all he didn't he play his favorite Torucaster? Not a Fender...

Also even Trini Lopez had a signature guitar, and he wasn't that special. The idea that someone needs a signature guitar is ludicrous. All the siggy nomenclature will result in a overpriced simple guitar. I don't buy 'em, but you're free to spend your own money. The only ones needing this are the guitar companies

19. PlainAllman

PlainAllman TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2019
    Van Zandt Co, Texas
    I saw Tom Petty on The Wildflowers tour in 1995. He played that Tele with the emblem on it at that show along with several other instruments of course. Funny thing is I'm almost certain that guitar wasnt a “Fender”. Its been so long ago now I cant be sure but I believe it was a G & L. The reason it stuck in my head was because back then I didn’t realize G & L was a Fender just not a “Fender” and i always wondered why Tom Petty would play a knockoff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.