Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tom Petty just released interview on Rickenbacker 12 strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Oct 5, 2017.

1. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great article!
    He was such a cool guy!

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks for sharing that. I needed something positive today.

brookdalebill likes this.

4. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    What a really great article!!! Like Paul said, I needed something positive today. :)

5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    ^What they said^

That 660/12TP looks awesome. I never realized how much he played 12 string guitar.

6. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Great read, thanks for sharing. I love the 660/12, it just sounds right.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    It's nice how he keeps coming back to how much easier it is to play the wider-necked models. It's a shame that Rickenbacker ignored him about that.

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I though Petty’s signature Ric, had a 1 3/4” nut?

9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I have a 650S, I love the outline, playablity and sound, and tried the 620/12. The sound is amazing, but due to the narrow neck it is a total pain to play. I would like a 660/12 but they are few and far between in the UK and I would not want to buy without trying, so I bought a Burns Double-Six whilst I was waiting. The Burns plays really easily but seems dull compared to my recollection of the 620/12. I bought a Surfcaster 12, which again sounds great, the lipstick pickups have a real shimmer, but playability is again compromised so it will have to go. So here's hoping that one day I'll find a 660/12, and that it will live up to expectations.

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    It does, as does the 660/12, which they continue to make in limited numbers. Problem is, for me at least, is that when most people think of a Rick 12, they see a 360 or 330 semi-hollow, and those still have the skinny neck, and will likely always have it.

Which is why I play a Danelectro now.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I have 2 electric 12’s with 1 3/4” nuts; a Fury BBM 12 & a custom made Reverend USA...my DeArmond S-73-12, has a 1 7/8” nut.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    I’m glad he asked about string changes. I love the fulness of a 12 string but would have so many pokes to my fingers I wouldn’t be able to play for 2 days after a restring.

13. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Funny, he didn't mention it in this interview, but I remember him saying loooong ago that one of his keys to keeping a 12-string in tune was to 'never change the strings unless they break.'

Perhaps that was before he could pay someone else to do it for him. ;)

alnicopu likes this.

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    This bit made me laugh!

Did he show you the opening "Hard Day’s Night" chord? Everyone seems to have their own version of that.

I remember [laughs] we were having a discussion about that chord, and this other guitar player, Gary Moore, was over. He played the chord, and George played it, and he said, "No, that’s not right, it’s like this." And George is like, "No, it’s like this." And Gary asked if he was sure. And George goes, "Yes, I’m sure." We all fell about laughing.

15. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    I heard an NPR guy say that someone successfully deconstructed the chord. Its all open guitar strings in standard tuning with an F thown in from a piano. Havent tried it though.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.