Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tom Petty ... Another Victim

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Jan 19, 2018.

1. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I suppose when a youngster is repetitively beaten as a child (as was noted with Tom) it may lead to an under-active dopamine mechanism. Later in life, one such person (as Tom) may be introduced to cocaine and such stimuli... his brains "reward center" makes him feel THIS is normal. A dangerous pathway (in multiple senses) may have been set.

IMO, addictions can be a curse.

In the past when I volunteered with an organization that helped the needy (St Vincent de Paul Society) I often witnessed the effects and outcomes of addictions. It's rare any become (high) functional addicts. If one thinks they are, typically they die.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Chicago Matt likes this.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I'll believe the first time - yes.

I'll believe the second time - no.

All supposition.

3. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    It seems many of us Musician's have dabbled with drugs, in Nam I did smoke weed to relax when it was around. After I was Medivaced home I never took anything the doctors didn't order. I personally found out I played sloppy if I was high. Now at 68 still clean.

4. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    He killed himself.

Go ahead and believe what you want to believe.

We all have our own reality. Here's a smile for all of us. :)

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Anyone who thinks that he was simply an addict by choice doesn't understand addiction or the human condition.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think hardly anyone is an "addict by choice". Maybe in the very beginning, but then they got a jones
    they can't kick. And a lot of it has to do with how their brain is wired-- in Petty's case by having a very
    difficult childhood. The notion that anyone who isn't able to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and
    fix themselves (and/or go to rehab to fix it) is somehow to blame is not very compassionate.

I also agree that fentanyl is nasty stuff. There are lots of high-functioning self-medicators who can go for
    years managing their habitat. Look at Ray Charles, for example. But fentanyl is so concentrated that
    if a few extra grains happen to be mixed in, then watch out.

Another example is Heath Ledger. A stressed out, anxious, insomniac who accidentally took a cocktail
    of OTC drugs that when mixed with alcohol caused him to stop breathing in the middle of the night. Should he
    be blamed for that? I don't know. Seems like many people make the same mistake.

I am loathe to throw stones because there have been numerous times where I could have checked out, but
    my guardian angel worked overtime. Overcooking a turn on my motorcycle. Crashing over the side of a cliff
    on my mountain bike. Walking down a hill in the dark and falling off a 6 foot drop that I couldn't see in the dark.
    Getting in a car with friends, not realizing how drunk the driver was, and just about kissing the ground when
    I was able to walk away. Drinking way too many shots with my friends and passing out-- what if I had never
    woken up? I wouldn't want my family and friends to think I did it on purpose, or that I was out of control.
    I think all of us have flown close to the sun thinking our wings weren't going to melt.
    There but for the grace of God, and all that.

Marln864, Fiesta Red, tomkatf and 5 others like this.

7. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    Every junkie's like a setting sun.

I didn't mean to be cruel or callous in my post. But I saw the slow deterioration of Tom Petty over several years. It could have been stopped at any time. No one was going to stand up to him. Let him rest in peace.

The guy was an amazing songwriter. A great band leader. His legacy will live on.

If I was cruel, then it was tough love towards those that use opiates and those that enable them. Not pointing any fingers.

8. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    Make sure the ex-guitarists of Thin Lizzy are OK if you got the reach.

telemnemonics likes this.

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

I’m so sorry for your loss, I have lost my share of friends and family but I can’t imagine losing a son, or stepson, especially to drugs. I hope you have good friends, family and professional support to lean on.

telemnemonics likes this.

10. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Many of you set the bar too low.

Drug dependency is the fault of the drug? LMFAO.

xafinity likes this.

11. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

I agree with you, other than one detail. The comment about no one was going to stand up to him. No doubt in my mind many, many people tried with him over the years. Addicts can not be stopped until they choose to and until that time addicts with the financial means to keep getting drugs tend to surround themselves with enablers and shove other people out of their world.

12. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    That wasn't my post, it was from another member.

13. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

Now I’m really confused.......

14. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Never mind.

15. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    A person who has never struggled with addiction will ever understand this.

A person who has struggled with addiction will understand this.

16. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    Yeah, you are probably right. I'm just bloviating.

It's just that Tom seemed so really out of it, on so many occasions - slurring his speech, his eyes pinned (Constricted pupils).

It's probably not fair to draw judgement on those he had around him.

I guess it was a mixture of personal politics and perhaps personal gain.

I think we should let him rest easy. One of the greatest singer songwriters of his era. To be a part of the band with Roy Orbison? You know the rest.

An exceptional talent.

17. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Someone else posted about "Who was going to stand up to the Mighty Tom Petty"
    Ya know what, it's a shame no one in his life was able to ... just sayin'

Tele1966 likes this.

18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Ya, I know.

This thread made me think of SRV and one of his later interviews when he was completely sober and clean after rehab, just how lucid he was and how good he looked. His smile was so genuine and his eyes were so bright. He played a short solo version of Superstition and Rude mood, I think it was a French interview and he spoke of getting help. I miss him and Tom, and many others.

telemnemonics and FenderGyrl like this.

19. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

I know, I did not attribute that to you. I quoted something else you posted.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

FenderGyrl likes this.

20. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Well,
    I am done.
    Time for me to wrestle with my own demons.

FG over and out

ROCKERGYRL.jpg graphics-music-209883.gif giphy.gif

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.