Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tom Petty ... Another Victim

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Jan 19, 2018.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Brutal honesty has a taste that most cannot deal with .

alnico357, telemnemonics and Tele1966 like this.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I can't agree he was the same worth as billions of others. Maybe at the smallest level - how his family and close friends feel about his loss. Obviously almost every death is comparably tragic on some level.

Still, he's been more impactful to more people than the average person. That's just common sense talking.

telemnemonics likes this.

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I've worked in the medical industry for 20+ years, and I can say positively and whole-heartedly that it's entirely possible that a doctor--even a single doctor who should be watching for toxicity and contraindications--to prescribe a cocktail of death like that, just due to inattention and/or stupidity. I've had to take my elderly in-laws grocery sack full of medications to their doctors and demand that they tell me what each one does and how it interacts with the others multiple times.

Did Tom have some responsibility?
    Yes
    Did doctors have more?
    Yes X 2

Tele1966 and telemnemonics like this.

4. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Benzodiazepines ?

3 or more at a time ?

I just have a hard time believing that all those were prescribed by the same
    physician at the same time.

5. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Victim? Of course, its the IN thing nowdays. 30 years of the physco industry spending 50min a week @$100hr counseling both child and adult clients how damaged they are and how to play the victim has created a victim society. Of course when the insurance drys up the 'victims' are magically cured and enjoy many years of victimhood.

Tele1966 likes this.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunate and sad? Yes. Victim? Not in my mind.

8barlouie, Chicago Matt and Tele1966 like this.

7. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Watching the Netflix special on the Heartbreakers right now and saw them a few years back. Gonna miss him.

8. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    This hurts me so much. I Love Tom! He & the Heartbreakers will always be with me! God Bless

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    WRT all the suggestions that he had resources and should have sought treatment for his drug problem, what do we all assume "treatment" is?

The medical establishment changed its treatment of opiate addiction a few years ago.

The current treatment for opiate addiction is prescribed opiates with an added ingredient that makes them not feel good.
    (the product has been around for years but was previously called "harm reduction", not "treatment")

So if you go to an addiction doc to get off opiates, they just prescribe you their opiates.

The current addiction treatment that maintains active addiction actually makes it harder for addicts to get clean.
    Not only do they put addicts on prescribed opiates instead of getting them off opiates, they are far less likely to put addicts in detox, instead saying "stop the street drugs and take our drugs, or go home and try to stay clean on your own".

Because medical attempts to get opiate addicts off opiates has been an abysmal failure for decades, doctors often tell addicts that they cannot stay clean.

Doctors even pressure addicts with more than a year clean (in 12 step programs) to get back on the prescribed opiates!

...So please don't presume that all Tom needed to do was "get some treatment".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    moosie, william tele and FenderGyrl like this.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Why is anyone surprised? There are obviously many others just like Tom who die in obscurity because they aren’t famous.

I am no moralist but our society, including the medical community, doesn’t respect medications. There is a cavalier attitude towards drugs. I say this as a retired pharmacist.

Regardless, Tom made choices. It’s tragic, it’s disappointing and whether it was preventable would be dependent on a lot of factors. Were there enablers? Was somebody complicit? .....

His music lives on.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018

11. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I had not planned on posting again in this thread because I thought the thread was headed down hill, but I’m impressed with the quality of many of the responses.

My oldest daughter is a physician and all her patients love her, other than one group, the chronic drug seekers. It is troubling how often she deals with the patients that go from one doctor to the next looking for more pain killers.

She of course prescribes the pain killers for those that she feels need it, but draws the line at the chronic drug users and seekers. Her stories of how angry they get are troubling. They yell and scream at her, then they go and find another doctor.

We only hear the stories is general vague terms due to HIPAA, but that is enough to understand the severity of the drug issue in our society.

12. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    victim

[vik-tim]
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    noun
    a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency:
    a victim of an automobile accident.
    a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonalagency:
    a victim of misplaced confidence; the victim of a swindler; a victim ofan optical illusion.
    a person or animal sacrificed or regarded as sacrificed:
    war victims.
    a living creature sacrificed in religious rites.

People who fall into addiction are victims. Regardless of their Net Worth, place in society, or age.
    The definition of Victim above covers my statement that he was a victim.
    He fit the definition listed above. Yes, he was just as responsible as his enablers. But he was also a victim, even if it was his own doing.

13. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, me too.
    But, the downhill slide is inevitable.

Still, everybody is entitled to their opinion. Oh well, guess we can all agree to disagree.

Keep an eye on your loved ones. No matter what age. If you know a family member that is struggling, reach out to others. I lost my stepson to Opiates last summer. The devastation left behind will be felt for decades.

Like I said in a previous post, the world is changing faster than I can adapt to it.
    Life is short, just be kind ......

14. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Well said. Keep rocking

FenderGyrl likes this.

15. Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Chincoteague, VA

We're all gonna die. Ten-out-of-ten people die.

~ Pappy ~
    deplorable :cool: pick'r

Chicago Matt and Tele1966 like this.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    For a single physician to allow this is negligence or complicit behavior. Your "grocery sack full of medications" is called "polypharmacy" and it is more common than most recognize. It is also the cause of adverse events, hospitalizations and death. Continuity of care is so fragmented in the US, that it is easy for it to occur. I would bet that Tom had an enabler or two and a few "patient friendly doctors" or a "guy who get stuff."

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm probably guilty in the past of doing what happened here...fixating on one word and and jumping all over it...rather than the spirit of the post. It just feels worse in a thread that was intended to purely lament the passing of a loved musician. No matter what he was or did...he was loved and enjoyed by many.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I was under the impression that at least one of those drugs was not at all available in the US.

I thought they made that clear in the initial report ?

Anyway - maybe he had a doc outside this country, maybe they were street, maybe...?

19. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Tom Petty was not a victim by any definition.

Tom Petty was an addict by choice.

20. Toronto Tele

Toronto Tele Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2016
    Toronto, Canada

"I'm 100 percent sure that I'm not making it out of this world alive."

So sad to hear that Tom succumbed to the continuing scourge of opiate addiction that is so prevalent today. When I heard of his passing on Oct 2/3 I thought that a heart attack seemed likely. He had continued to smoke heavily and kept a very high pace of activity despite doctors and family pleading that he slow down. I had thought that he had just run out of time after a long tour and was saddened as he had said he wanted to slow down and enjoy more time with his family and focus on some other things but didn't get the chance.

Hopefully Tom and the Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch had other recordings in the can and maybe we will still get a little more new material in time. Regardless, i hope he is at peace. His music will live on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.