Tom Hess

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johnny k, Mar 11, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

What do you think about this guy ?

He seems a bit weird to me. Some people think he is a genius, and i bet as many people think he s a fraud.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Fast guitar is like fast food, and fast sex.
    How good can it be?
    No me gusta, señor.
    I ain’t in a hurry, anymore.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    matrix, Fiesta Red and johnny k like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

When I hear “fastest” or “technically proficient” or whatever adjectives and adverbs are generally reserved for Yngwie, Vai, etc., I always think “stunt show.”

I like stunts, but not an entire movie’s worth.

johnny k likes this.
  4. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart TDPRI Member

A couple of years ago I signed up for one of his "personalised" courses without doing much research. Sent me a bunch of PDFs, just random ones that I assume are the same ones that are sent to everyone. To be fair, the actual content of them was fine and I'm sure if I had continued I would have improved my playing, I just found his personality so toxic that I didn't want to give him any more money.

When BB King died he posted up on his message board about how BB was a terrible musician with a horrible vibrato. Couldn't take him seriously after that.

johnny k likes this.
  5. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I've watched some of his stuff in YouTube. He has good insight into guitar mechanics. You don't have to want to be speed demon to benefit. I struggle enough to just play fast enough to credibly play what I play. A few percentage points here and there is great, and welcome.

johnny k likes this.
  6. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

He had some advice once that you need to "signal" your hands to both play at same time. That was a take away for me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I ve read once in a guitar magazine, it was some kind of advice for advanced players i guess, and from what i remember, it was more like relaxation with your guitar. Like breathe deeply, put your left hand on a G chord, imagine the sounds it makes. Be very relaxed, do another chord, don t fret too hard, imagine the sounds it makes. It really didn t make any sense. Like yoga on a guitar.

At the time I just thought it was phony. And here is this guy, saying basically the same thing without the relax bit. People commenting on the videos say this is the right way to do it.

So i was wondering if there were believers among you guys. I don t know theory, nor do i know anything about guitar mechanics ( got to admit i don t even know what those are)

I was just curious if this new age guitar thingie was efficient.

8. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

Many of us learn to play songs by learning the fretting hand motions and the picking hand motions seperately. This is in order to deconstruct and learn the exact mechanics. Fair enough. Unfortunately, when we perform these songs, we have leftovers of this process and the playing can sound stiff and often sloppy. The idea is to think yourself into playing both hands simultaneously by "signaling" them simultaneously - a singular intent. A good performance may also be achieved without this "yoga" by practicing normally and without thinking this through but, in my brief experience (have only been trying this for a month), takes about 3 to 4 times longer to get it right.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.