Tolex on a tweed style cabinet...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tubedood, Mar 21, 2019.

1. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I have a quick question.

I am tolexing my little 5F2-A style build and when I did the top piece I wasn't too sure what to try. I know tweed styles get away with a few little triangle pieces to compensate the angle of the slits to fan the material for the chassis cut out, but I am not sure the best way when the amp will be covered in tolex? I hosed up the first top piece thru careless cuts and I don't want to mess it up again. I have a heat gun and more material on the way. Should I use the little triangle filler pieces or can I make conservative cuts and use some light heat to form the chassis cut out?

I'm surprised I am having this big an issue as the ovals on my rear cover panel turned out easy peasey.

As always any tips or advice are very welcomed!

Dale

2. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

For my last Tolex cover - not Tweed - I did use triangle pieces, I can't see how you could manage without. The one thing I'd say is, having looked at lots of original tweeds recently, original factory production often looks pretty rough around that one inch radius bend, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Nickfl likes this.
  3. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Use triangles and super glue them in position.This way, if you are stretching or pulling the main tolex piece over/around them, they don’t lift off or rotate.

tubedood and Nickfl like this.
  4. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Careful with that heat gun, it is likely more than capable of making the tolex shrivel up and peel away from the backing... I had that happen while using an iron to help stick down tolex when I was still using ****ty water based contact cement instead of the real solvent based stuff.

tubedood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.