Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Today is World Emoji Day!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    With a language as rich and diverse as English at our disposal, with it's ability to give us the exact words we need to express with subtlety and nuance our most complex thoughts and emotions, it's good to see that we can simply use a clipart image instead.

Then again, perhaps I should have just said, :(

badfish_lewis likes this.

3. BigDaddyLH

Sad!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    World emoji day? Really? We need a day to recognize illiterate teenagers (and immature grown-ups) who use little pictures, because they can't compose grammatically correct, coherent sentences?

Oh, why not?...

:confused: :mad: :oops: :rolleyes: :cry: :lol:

J Hog likes this.

6. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    I'm sure you read over your response many times to make sure it was grammatically correct before hitting the Post Reply button. :D

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    There isn't one to signify how I want to celebrate World Emoji Day. Those decals in the back window of certain pickups referencing other pickup brands comes close.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    From what I understand, English isn't all that precise. It is my native language so I'm very used to how precise I can be with it, but my friends and colleagues in French speaking places complain about the inherit ambiguity often found in English. Latin was a ridiculously precise language and we don't use as much Latin based words as other folks like our friends that speak French etc.

Such a cool topic though, I wonder how weird it would be if we had to conjugate nouns like Latin...

I don't particularly like emojis, despite my age, but I agree with you regarding :(

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    C'mon, it is becoming the world common language and people now sit next to each other texting each other, so get with it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cry::cry::rolleyes::cry::rolleyes::lol:;)

10. scottser

scottser Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin

11. BigDaddyLH

???

[​IMG]

logankolarick likes this.

12. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Based on the pedigree of this observance maybe we could get TDPRI to declare World Get Off My Lawn day and get the CEO of Fender to issue a special Telecaster in honor of it (they could just put a sticker on one of their models and get the CEO to tweet about it). You can't see that I'm smiling so I will include the following metadata hint. :)

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

Maybe we just need TDPRI-related emojis:

* Leo
    * cookin' tubes
    * cargo shorts
    * bacon
    * cowboy hat 'n' boots
    * elevator

ukepicker likes this.

14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    French evolved from Latin, English evolved from German. Hence, the significant linguistic difference between the two languages.

English adopted a bunch of Latin vocabulary, and during the Enlightenment scholars tried to impose Latin grammar, but as a Germanic language, any attempt at forcing the rules of Latin onto English will be inherently artificial and doomed to fail.

English can be incredibly precise. English speakers? Yeah, very often not so much.

Sconnie likes this.

15. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2017
    bradenton fla

16. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2017
    bradenton fla
    How come apple took all the guns out of the lineup? Were they afraid we were going to shoot each other?

17. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach

18. BigDaddyLH

No emojis of violence?

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    On the contrary, English can be exceptionally precise. It's no accident it became the language of science and research.
    English grew up out of old German, but had a lot of French grafted into it following the Norman conquest. What happened is a lot of things had both a French and a Germanic word, such as pork and swine, depending on your place in society. But more subtly, the meaning of each changed slightly. So for example between many of these parallel words, now in English we have the ability to ask and to request, and there's different shades of meaning assigned to each. Few languages offer this level of resolution when it comes to word choice, and it allows very specific meaning to be conveyed.

soulgeezer likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.