Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Today could be a big day for me..freedom or heartache

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Dec 9, 2017.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Agreed.
    There are people who seem so obsessed and distressed about their chosen issues that they are like rabid dogs or drunk people.
    I feel bad for them, not for their views but for their rabid state.
    I have/ had a friend whose views I shared but I couldn't stand to be around him when he got into politics. Change the subject, walk away, introduce him to somebody who liked to obsess.
    Not sure why he died young but I suspect stress was a part of it.

I vote and I write my congresspersons.
    I also presume that there is stuff happening that I am not privy to, like when a politician doesn't do what I want or expect.
    They are required by law to lie about govt secrets.
    They MUST engage in behind the scenes deals and compromise on one thing to accomplish another.
    I am absolutely certain that no matter how much reading I do, there will be stuff happening that I cannot fully understand or make sense of.
    Fighting over the details does not improve my life or our society.

Telescience, src9000, studio and 3 others like this.

2. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Yes I think we are way too close to crossing the line right now.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    My sense is that as we get older we have a chance to observe that politics keeps swinging left right left right left right left right.

Humanity OTOH marches forward in an ever worsening trajectory.

The politics of the moment are IMO less significant than the greater and greater animosity between individuals, cultures, and political factions.

It is our personal animosity that we must vote out of power.

Frodebro, MuddyDitch and Obsessed like this.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Wish you the best. Gone are the days when we would agree to disagree. You had an opinion and so did I. We agreed on several things, disagreed on others and that was ok. We were friends and respected their view. Now if you differ, people will get vile and spew hatred.

Tele1966, stratoman1 and MuddyDitch like this.

5. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    I'm still not sure when those days were. They certainly weren't the 20s, 30s, 40s... and the 1800s weren't any better. While the political divide is certainly in focus right now, our history isn't exactly a series of kumbaya moments. To top it off whenever a kumbaya does occur it's often used against one side. Political strife has been and is likely to remain the state of the nation.

P Thought likes this.

6. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    It's bad enough to deal with the endless soapbox ranting that goes on in social media these days. To have to deal with it on a constant personal level in real life is too much to ask.

You are right to seek some refuge from that by setting up some boundaries for the sake of personal relationships.

Good luck with your situation.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Tele1966, telemnemonics and troy2003 like this.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

Y'all need to sit down and watch Sarah Silverman's show on Hulu - together.

(we are all ants that happen to be alive right now. There is no more significance to most of our lives than that - unless you make it so.)

songtalk and jman72 like this.

8. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    If your brother, sister and niece have argumentative personalities or have narcissistic tendencies if you confront them it will be like pouring gasoline on the fire and they will defeat your attempt to place a boundary.

If your brother, sister and niece are relatively normal, things will go well in the discussion.

If things don't go well in the discussion it's time to think about how you move forward knowing they care more about arguing about their feelings rather than caring about you. If they are indeed narcissistic people, you have to learn how to leave them withering on the vine.

9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    This is the unfortunate inevitability of the bipartisan system that we built for ourselves. Both parties keep getting more and more extreme. They're becoming caricatures that are based on polar opposite opinions on a relatively narrow set of issues. Our voting public is given so little credit. Not saying we deserve more, but the system doesn't care either way.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    "We need dirty laundry!"

That was 35 years ago. There is probably a 2017 equivalent that should be composed...based on the fact that cell phones, web cams, and two-faced book have us wired directly to the source of the annoyances in the obnoxious world around us...

Tele1966 and telemnemonics like this.

11. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    Using absolutes like "cannot have a discussion with anyone", or "No one is willing to concede anything..." may be part of our problem.

I am very opinionated, yet I am also willing to listen- and I am open to the possibility that my opinion can change over time. In fact, on many issues, my opinion has changed as I have navigated through this life.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Tele1966, troy2003 and 2blue2 like this.

12. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Self sacrifice and service to others could help on both sides.

songtalk likes this.

13. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I try to respect different opinions than mine , and do not as such dislike people with different views than mine
    I used to get worked up by certain things though , and as a result only read headlines everyday. I never watch the news , and have disabled my FB account.
    Downside is , I sometimes feel I know too little about whats going on.........upside is that I live a life without worries for the most part , take care of my job and the people near to me as good as I can............To some , that would probably be a boring and bland way to go through life , but it works for me....

Tele1966 and wayloncash like this.

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I usually suggest that they turn the TV and talk radio off. A steady diet of TV and talk radio is toxic. I watch local news but that's it

15. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Hyperbole. And I figured among this group that would be ok to make a statement with a blatantly obvious meaning, without it being picked apart and twisted in order to fit someone else's perspective. Not cool...

Even though I knew exactly what you meant in your post, I could say something like: "It is not about opinions, it is about interpretations of facts," or "being an opinionated person does not necessarily make you an informed person." I think that you could see how that would be pretentious of me.

16. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    Politics is just one more hobby. If anyone takes it too seriously, then they need to take a break,. Vote how you want, volunteer how you want. If people can't have fun discussing politics, or is they think that it has to control everything they do and say, then they don't understand politics.

wayloncash likes this.

17. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    People are either on one side of the political spectrum or the other. Political discussions are just a waste of time and energy as no one will ever say the other side is right about anything. No win situation

wayloncash likes this.

18. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I don't know why but this seems reasonable.

Compromise is a powerful thing.

One might argue it is the foundation of our peaceful democracy more so than any other thing.

That being said, human suffering is something that people should care about.......but believe they don't have to.....I guess that sort of vulnerability of conscience is understandable within our exploitation/greed based economy/culture.

19. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    there was a TV series filmed in Vancouver called "Dead like me", there was one line in the movie that one one the charactors said , I use it when these situations arise :
    "Were you whinning at me ?, I was ignoring you".

seem to fit this situation as well

20. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Four people get together, three of whom have similar interests. The fourth guy is the one who is going to make rules about what is talked about when they're all together. I think number four is due for a reality check.

songtalk likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.