Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To tortoise shell or not to tortoise shell?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Estrio, Mar 12, 2018.

Tortoise Shell?

1. Definitely!

46 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Hell no!

29 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went back to mint green after trying black and tort--just wasn't the same as nice as an offset sunburst or even strat SB with tort. Black wasn't as cool as every other picture I've seen, but still good looking to my eye. Maybe the tort was too red?

CroppedRedTort - Copy.jpg

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    For that sunburst, yeah. You're right.

That tort is way too red.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    You're right...that one looks too red.

Maybe it needs more stickers!

[​IMG]

4. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess I'll get some of the puke brown stuff. Swapping guards like shoes.

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Did anyone ever do a transparent guard on a sunburst, with whatever accommodation to conceal the ugly part of the neck rout?

6. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dunno, and I don't think I'd like that even with a concealed route :eek:

7. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What if it was semi-transparent with white paisley?

8. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    White pickguard on a sunburst just looks out of place IMO. It doesn't flow with the colors of the body. Black or tort looks much better with my first choice being black.

9. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Like this?

Design is CNC'd on the back of clear acrylic, and hand-painted on the back side--Decoboom. Something like that, maybe more color options.

decoboom-pickguard-telecaster-engraved-pineappe.jpg decoboom-pickguard-telecaster-engraved-spawn_of_paisley-2.jpg

fenderese and Southpole like this.

10. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    I generally support tort but I'm not crazy about the sunburst combination. Lots of classic archtops used the combination but it was often a different shade of tort.

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A little loud for me.

Just mostly clear with a little white paisley I thought might be cool.

And there’s opaque white in the above photo, not transparent.

BorderRadio likes this.

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If white works on a sunburst Strat...millions of them...why not a Tele?

And believe me:

We’re all nuts here about this minutia here, like little old ladies. And not one opinion is more valid than another.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Absolutely but what I have found, is the tort pickguard can easily make the sunburst body look too reddish or not nearly reddish enough.

I recommend, normally, the precise, dead opposite approach and that is a murky gray Fender brand "mint green" pickguard, on guitars with little or no yellow or red in the burst, and I use either parchment or black on the "3 tone" sunbursts.

BorderRadio likes this.

14. boris bubbanov

Your opinion, while valid........

Is wrong! :^)

Nubs likes this.

15. boris bubbanov

See, this, I think, is fun but the "why" is that the body is utterly white and we're letting the pickguard "make the statement".

When a guitar is already sunburst, the body is the centerpiece in the story and everything else ought to be held back. Trying to combine both Tort or Pearloid with a sunburst body that's bursting with visual interest is like men who wear loud plaid shirts with striped pants. Or like having a band with a female lead singer who is both singing her heart out and trying to tell jokes (or do a strip tease) all simultaneously. One thing at a time, I beg you.

Nubs likes this.

16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    both, since it only takes about a minute or two to change. And change is good.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Man.

I wish you didn't say that. (Tee hee!)

But I can't respond, because I'll get banned and sent to the Island of Misfit Toys again, like recently happened to me for making a joke about lefties.

fitflatpicker likes this.

18. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, agreed 100 percent. Maybe except the singing, joking, Burlesque dancer.

The best mint is the Fender gray-green mint, and it is where I'm staying with my double-bound burst. It's a CVC donor body, BTW, since colors change with lighting, for anybody stuck on the same conundrum :D

boris bubbanov likes this.

19. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I like the Tortoise, I threw Tortoise on my MIM Standard. Just wasn't crazy about the white on black.

I didn't realize there was sacred tradition behind fender's choices. If you order custom shop/BTO they'll let you mix and match colors & pick guards if you want to.

I bought mine used & this was part of just making it mine.. I changed the pickups and other stuff too.

6l6-57 likes this.

20. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Tortoise only looks right to me on a sunburst if its a vintage style tele and even then the sunburst has to be colored right. Like Marty Stuart's and I've also seen Guthrie Trapp play one that looks right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.