Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To Throw Down Your Guitar or To Not Throw Down Your Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Jan 18, 2017.

Is it ever OK to throw down an instrument?

1. No, not unless safety depends upon it.

52.1%
  2. Yes, I think it's a valid form of artistic expression.

13.0%
  3. Only wieners throw down their instruments, except that one time Jimi did it.

32.9%
  4. I throw down my instrument all the time. Anybody have a spare instrument?

2.1%
  1. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    not a guitar, but the singer from my band jumped on my bandit trying to surf it, wiggled it a little bit (to shake the reverb springs) , and then came down with the amp. We ve got a singer down, plus a few missing knobs on the amp, but it kept working.

As for guitars, i ve never done it, but i don t mind a few dents on them either. Most of them are not done on purpose though.

Plus i don t think i ve got enough strenght in me to break a fender.

2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Can't say I can agree at all, but to each their own for sure.

viccortes285 likes this.

3. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    I was never rich, so I would rather give a guitar away then destroy it. Now retired I can say never would I even if I was rich.
    That's just me.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.

4. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Neither was I, nor were most the punkers I saw actually smash their gear. Wealth has little to do with it, in some ways. I've given away guitars, thrown a couple (never smashed one), but not once was it about being wasteful or unappreciative of what I owned. I think there are so many thoughts on the why, the cause / effect of the act of throwing down a guitar that everyone is right and no one is wrong; the trick is respecting other's ideas while maintaining our own.

viccortes285 likes this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

In my book, giving gear to a school is cooler than smashing it on stage.

Blue Bill, viccortes285 and TMMC like this.

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    If you need to repel Stage Invaders than fine, bash away. Other than that there's no good excuse

GoldDeluxe5E3 and viccortes285 like this.

7. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    100% agreed.

stratoman1 and viccortes285 like this.

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

That's what may end up happening with mine. No kids, nieces and nephews don't play so after I'm done no telling where they will end up

9. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2013

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Just watchend the Sturgill Simpson clip, and now I've decided this is a non-issue. Worst thing that happened to that tele was a bent PU switch, I bet.

11. TXNJ

TXNJ TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Dallas
    I watched a video of him from outside the CMAs last night and he was answering viewer questions and someone asked what the state of that guitar from the SNL performance was. He said it was "destroyed" and he basically glued back together and it hangs on his wall as "art". He said he'd been trying to get kill that guitar for years. It was interesting. I don't get it, but to each their own.

12. TXNJ

TXNJ TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Dallas
    He also said he used to play mostly telecasters but that he made most of them. He didn't know if he ever owned a real one. the one he broke on SNL he made.
    He also said he's been playing a Les Paul mostly of late

13. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    My strat can handle a chuck. My Ibanez RG on the other hand is a much more delicate instrument.

But I wouldn't throw them in the first place.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I guess the most anticlimactic breaking of a guitar happened during Edwyn Collins' performance on Jools Holland's "Later" show.

It looked so clumsy.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

15. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    thought is was stupid back in the sixties still do.

Ok to use a prop though. But not a playable one

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    A Strat can take it. I've never done it but it could be cool at right moment.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    and people whine about "does anybody else dislike..." threads.

By all means, one should throw down their guitar as often as they give themselves a glass shard enema.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    We used to end our shows with Whole Lotta Love and at the end I'd throw my guitar on the floor and stomp on the trem bar of my USA Strat with my foot, through a really loud Marshall.... sounded kinda cool. I was always very drunk when I did this.

TMMC likes this.

19. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I’ve never actually out-and-out smashed a guitar, I don’t have the heart to do it — even a crap guitar would be of value to someone if it’s all they could afford.
    But I was in an energetic, anarchic, kind of theatrical art-punk band. If, like you say, the energy of the crowd and performance was right and the spirit moved me I might end the set rhythmically bouncing my guitar off the stage a few times, pulling a couple strings off and then leave it leaning on the speaker cabinet feeding back.
    When we could afford it, we’d have a local artist we knew make a beautifully realistic electric guitar piñata. We’d fill it with random stuff and the singer would smash it at the end of the show. We thought it was a fun subversion of the hard rock guitar smashing trope.

TMMC likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.