Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To Throw Down Your Guitar or To Not Throw Down Your Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Jan 18, 2017.

Is it ever OK to throw down an instrument?

1. No, not unless safety depends upon it.

52.1%
  2. Yes, I think it's a valid form of artistic expression.

13.0%
  3. Only wieners throw down their instruments, except that one time Jimi did it.

32.9%
  4. I throw down my instrument all the time. Anybody have a spare instrument?

2.1%
  1. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Exactly as unoriginal as every other move, look, or sound...for the most part. That's why I say, if it's done because the heat of the moment calls for it, great; if it's planned, go home with that crap.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Played out. I might be entertained by Bad Dog if Joe Bonnamassa does it though, for more rebel/punk street cred, of course.

TMMC likes this.

3. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    And then the audience throws up?

1955 likes this.

4. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    If smashing a musical instrument as part of a musical performance was a spoken statement, what could it be?

"There, I've played this thing perfectly, so now nobody will ever play it again."

"I never could play this thing, so nobody else is going to."

"I've finally achieved artistic perfection, so no further need for this thing."

"I know a hundred people in the room can play this thing better than me, so I'll make sure I don't get upstaged."

"I'm frightened you all see I'm a fraud, so here's my misguided attempt to distract you from the fact."

"I'm so besotted with my own ego, fear, and/or amorphous rage, music can no longer express it. So I'm just lashing out."

"I'm so insecure, I need to make it clear to this audience I"m capable of violence."

"I think you, members of the audience, are stupid, trifling louts. So I'm doing something I think you can appreciate."

Any I've missed?

RoyBGood, Tony Done and JayFreddy like this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

How would you caption Jimi setting his Strat on fire? It's more like a sacrificial, burnt offering to the gods.

TMMC and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.

6. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'm a knuckledragging [expletive] and this is my idea of fun.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    RoyBGood likes this.

7. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    Hendrix's biography details his long standing frustrations with stratocaster guitars. Perhaps his statement was to Leo Fender:

"Hey Leo, your guitars won't stay in tune. Can't you make a reliable one? I'm burning this one in public to underscore my frustration."

TMMC likes this.

8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I've never cared for smashing instruments. I think it's selfish, immature, and has nothing to do with making music.

Despite my personal views, I voted "valid form of expression".

Whether I like something or not has no bearing on someone else's right to do it.

deadicated, william tele and TMMC like this.

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I guess it's just one of those many things that helps people determine which side of the generation gap they're on.

10. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    This whole thing fascinates me.

Having a strong opinion on it is great, but I'm so surprised at the reasoning or thought process behind some of the reasons why one does or does not agree with the idea of slamming/throwing/smashing an instrument.

I love it.

11. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC

How about, "The music has taken over my mind, the booze my body, so therefore...ARRARARHRHRAHRHRRRRGGGGGGG!!!! -smash-"

12. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Even if it was still attached to the wireless transmitter, which did have the range to fly away, the real trick would be getting feedback. That usually happens when it's close to the amp, and unless you've got a train load of Marshall stacks behind you, or placed at intervals on the flight path, yeah.

But, you'd probably end up looking as cool as this kid.
    [​IMG]

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Challenge accepted! Fernandes Sustainer: [​IMG]

14. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    I heard at least two players say they wouldn't play a guitar without the Fernandez sustainer. Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and spent the first few weeks of summer swimming with swim fins exclusively. When I finally took them off, I had to learn to swim all over again.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    So do these things sustain for periods of multiple 24 hour blocks of time?

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Do you throw your kids down?
    So no, my guitars are part of the family, in a sense.:cool:

Obsessed and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.

17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    It's a source of amusement- kinda like encouraging BMW drivers to go out in the snow.....

Les Paul tossing ought to be an Olympic sport.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.

18. GoldDeluxe5E3

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    I gather it's like an E-Bow without the physical E-Ebow hardware in your hand.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I love guitars and I don't like to see them get abused.

I also think that throwing down your guitar is melodramatic and clichéd.

On the other hand, I understand that for some performers, the guitar is also (or mostly) a prop in a performance that is something more than the music. I think it was Pete Townshend who said that The Who never wanted to let the music get in the way of the show. So, maybe? They crash a lotta cars when they make a Transformers movie...

I thought it was fun when Prince threw his guitar UP in the air after his performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", but it WASN'T cool when he threw down Kirk Douglas' '61 Crestwood after playing on Fallon.

Man, this just made me remember the Prince is gone... :(

20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    For fools.
    I saw Dickie Betts throw a Les Paul to the floor because the cable wasn't working properly.
    Idiot.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.