Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To Throw Down Your Guitar or To Not Throw Down Your Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Jan 18, 2017.

Is it ever OK to throw down an instrument?

1. No, not unless safety depends upon it.

52.1%
  2. Yes, I think it's a valid form of artistic expression.

13.0%
  3. Only wieners throw down their instruments, except that one time Jimi did it.

32.9%
  4. I throw down my instrument all the time. Anybody have a spare instrument?

2.1%
  1. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    Is it cool or is it for fools?

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Depends upon the headstock.....Gibson-style...foolish, you've just destroyed your guitar....Fender style....just pick it up and play.

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong here....If someone wants to treat their instrument that way, that is their business.

Me, never. I love my guitars and protect them from damage...I am rough enough on them already...cymbals, mic stands, PA cabs, etc. all seem to find them!

hellopike likes this.

3. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    If you have more money than sense then it is OK. For me not so much. Is it part of the show and it will make you more money then possibly.

mauer62 likes this.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    A childhood friend's father would say, sarcastically, "Tear it up, it's paid for".
    Not me.
    I depend on my guitars and gear for my livelihood.
    I don't disrespect my guitars, or my audience.
    About 6 months ago, a bass player acquaintance of mine grew frustrated with a sound man, and tossed his bass down.
    The cat's 60.
    Immaturity looks even worse on a geezer.

Jakeboy, Thin69, Omiewise65 and 8 others like this.

5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I agree with this. But, Every time I see something like this I cringe.

I'm always after my daughter to treat her possessions with respect. There are so many less fortunate people in the world.

Jakeboy and TMMC like this.

6. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I don't feel like it should be done willy-nilly. But if the energy is right, if it's an absolutely stellar show, if your instrument can take it, if you feel the need, if you've been overcome by a life-force known as THE GODS OF LIVE MUSIC and just can't let it go, then absolutely, without a doubt, do as you must...that includes treating your instrument like a club, a bat, a rock, a medicine ball, whatever.

I've done it maybe twice in all my shows, and both times I felt like it was not only appropriate but a beautiful and natural embellishment on a fantastic concert.

That said, I've never had the intent to smash or destroy a guitar, just release the demons, so to speak.

Minimalist518 likes this.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    It's a tired look, like the mic drop. Adds nothing.

jackinjax, Thin69, jaybones and 2 others like this.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

For outdoor gigs: hook yer guitar to a drone and have it fly away. Extra point if it's feeding back!

FenderGyrl, Larry F, soul-o and 7 others like this.

9. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    If it's choreographed or planned in advance, I completely agree.

bparnell57 likes this.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I was just remembering that my first job at 14, I earned 50 cents an hour. My paycheck, after two weeks, was something like 35 dollars and change. not gonna happen with my guitar, but if some other performer feels so moved, by the moment, it's kinda cool to watch.

I'm liking the drone idea, but with my luck, I'd be like "....uh, wait, WAIT! the cord! still. plugged. in. to. the. amp..."

...with a little luck, it drops 15 feet, lands on the bass players noggin, and his IQ goes up a couple of points...

11. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Unless you are, in reality, Pete Townsend.... Probably end up badly. Clownish.

brbadg, Omiewise65 and Jim622 like this.

12. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    Billy Corgan on the subject: "Sometimes you just have to put the guitar down instead of throwing it against the wall."

(Can't find the source right now. Anyone?)

TMMC likes this.

13. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    Prince, of course, has his own category.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Corethron, blille, dbl9 and 1 other person like this.

14. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    There is a show being put on. As the excitement grows and crescendos the performer grabs his instrument like a ball bat and smashes it into his amp, throws it on the floor, stomps on it and lights it on fire.

A film is being made. A scene is shot in which a factory fresh looking first gen Camaro runs head on into a pristine 69 hemi Challenger. Both cars are obliterated in mass of twisted, flaming steel.

I detest both of these examples of artistic expression... It's their money but it just hurts to watch. The gratification that the performers and film makers feel is not telegraphed to me.

But I understand why it's done. Smash away...

Mr Green Genes likes this.

16. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    It doesn't impress me...

brookdalebill likes this.

17. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    BUT -----
    was it a borrowed guitar?

18. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC

I totally get where you're coming from. Artistic expression is a tricky thing; is it the artist or the recipient of the art who decides? I argue that it's both and that both can have opposite feelings and still both are correct. To me, throwing an instrument isn't artful, it's primal or reactionary, outside of intention and on the skirt of mindlessness.

That said, some find it artful. Weird, but whatever.

william tele likes this.

19. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    Back in the late 80's I was joining a band in Sacramento and after jamming with them the other guitar player threw his guitar down and walked off lol. I guess he thought I was his replacement but I declined to join because me and the drummer were fighting over me dating his ex lol. :D

2 Headed Goat likes this.

20. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    People can do what they want, but smashing a guitar is cliche. If Garth Brooks has made it a regular part of his stage show, you should probably take it out of your shocking punk rock repertoire.

therealfindo and Obsessed like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.