Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To those who were there; tell us about...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Mar 13, 2018.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    There is no harm in wondering about the past . Regardless of what you may think of it doesn't matter because it can and will never happen again . Look to your future and smother yourself in it because it belongs to you . Don't know where you are in NC , but find yourself some local sourwood honey and savor the play unfolding before your eyes . LSD and other substances are only a temporary thrill , but living will serve you a lifetime . Don't waste it because there is no dress rehearsal . There are no real definitive lines because it all flows together , alway has and always will .

teletimetx likes this.

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thank you for that advice and I know it's true. Honestly, I feel like my life is just passing me by at times. Could be for a number reasons that I've mentioned here before. I keep saying I'm going to do this and I think about a lot of options but yet days tick off.

I think everyday of just getting in my Jeep and driving to Nashville and seeing what adventure unfolds yet days go by. That's just one of the things I think about on a daily basis.

Edit: I also don't know why I can share things with people more easily now than I used to. I used to wouldn't open up about anything when I was younger. Which sort of contradicts my post about becoming cynical the older I get.

I think maybe people are just colder, less friendly now. I can't put my fingers on it. Maybe that's why I look to the past. For example, 4 years ago when I was 19/20 I went to start college a year late.

I didn't get to (family issues) and only stayed a couple days. As I was leaving the girl that I cared so much about seen me walking with my suitcase and guitar and she stopped to see what I was doing. I told her and she started sort of begging me to stay. Anyway when my student cab driver showed up I hopped in the front seat. As we drove off I said "Man, I hate to leave. That girl right there in the yellow top is begging me to stay."

The dude gave no response. I've always thought how strange that was. He was so cold and unfriendly. If I would have been the driver I would have been like "Dang, man" and been engaging. I don't know it seems like most people are like this student cab driver.

That was the last time I seen her by the way. She did send me one text a week later that read "Are you going to be able to come back?" I told her no not right now. She replied "That's so sad." And that's the last thing she ever said to me.

PS: I don't do or never have done any drugs. Not one drink of alcohol either. The LSD thing was a joke, man ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    KyAnne and Obsessed like this.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    You are doing fine. We all go through some hard relational break ups around that age. I sure did and it sent me through a spiral for awhile. With the world as your oyster and limitless possibilities, it takes time to find your compass. It is a classic time for introspection and reflection. Others can't quite relate to your moment, so you kinda have to find the best path on your own. To me it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, so have confidence in that and move forward. Good luck with your adventure in life. Live it to the fullest.

4. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    Hunter S. Thompson summed it up pretty well.

“Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired ********, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

5. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I agree that around '68 with the assignations that things started to go down and got darker. Still, there was a lot of good music well into the '70's. I started college in the fall of '65 and it's just hard to explain how much fun it was and what a great time to be a teenager. As someone previously mentioned, the girls, the cars, the music, have never been better. Just so many changes coming at such a rapid speed. And since forever, parents have not understood the younger generation, but our parents just weren't prepared for the '60's. They didn't get it, couldn't understand it, and were just blindsided.

My father was a supervisor at a large steel mill in the Pittsburgh area and I remember him telling me of this major case between management and the union over a young man that had let his hair grow long. And this wasn't below the shoulders long, probably just over his ears, and they wanted to fire him. So many folks I knew who were friends of my parents and their age would say, I like the Beatles and they wouldn't be so bad if their hair wasn't so long. I came home from college once and got up the next morning and there was a note taped on the bathroom mirror, "shave!" With what all we have going on now, it just seems so petty and ridiculous, as it was.

But we were still rocking into the '70's. I was at the Watkins Glenn Summer Jam in '73. Larger than Woodstock at over 600,000 and featured The Band, The Greatful Dead and The Allman Brothers. Not a problem, a really great time. All I remember is a 45 minute version of Tied to the Whipping Post.
    image.jpeg

thegeezer likes this.

6. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    ha! I liked 1-2-3 Red Light and Mercy Mercy. One of my roomate's in college went to high school with the guys in the 1910 Fruitgum Co.

7. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The 60s didn't arrive here until 1971, they were just something we heard about that happened in America. They were over by 1972.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I visited a buddy in SF about 15 years ago.
    I asked him, is there any reason to go to The Haight>
    He said, it's like the Haight-Ashbury pavillion at EPCOT Center. ;)
    But I had an uncle who lived in Greenwich Village whom I visited often for the first 26 years of my life.
    That was quite a scene.
    He was on Perry St, right across from Timmy Leary's "church" where he passed out the "sacrament."
    Then all the Hippies went to Nathan's to hang out and eat free saurkraut.
    It was not always pretty...but I loved it.
    The counterculture had a deep effect on me.
    Today, I live in a commune.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Obsessed and thegeezer like this.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I agree totally. I have no idea how my generation took the lessons learned and, not just ignored them, but doubled down on the opposite. That in itself augments my cynicism.
    The music of time reflected a heightened awareness of cultural and societal issues. People talked the talk and many walked the walk but now that is gone.
    "Don't judge us by our hair, clothes, etc." But today, what do we have? It's the same. People are judging others by their clothes or their hair.

I think of Sly Stone's "Everyday people" sometimes.
    "There is a long hair that doesn't like the short hair
    For bein' such a rich one that will not help the poor one
    And different strokes for different folks
    And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo

we got to live together
    There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
    That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
    And different strokes for different folks
    And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo"

Where the hell did that go?

One other thing: I, and most folks of my age, did not abandon the values we were taught by our parents. We just no longer accepted things because that's the way thing always were. Family and societal dysfunction back then wasn't discussed or even recognized. The dysfunction that was recognized was swept under the rug. It's hard to accept that your parents could be FOS.

I always have felt that I grew up in the most interesting of times. Then again, it might pale in comparison to what could occur in the present.

Obsessed, thegeezer and 6stringcowboy like this.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    64 to 72 was a great time in my life !
    Born in 64 so I was just another happy go lucky booger eater, while the world was going to pot.

The 60's are an interesting ten years in American history expecially if look beyond the myths and legends.

Minimalist518 likes this.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not all doom and gloom today.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    The OP is 24.

Probably one of the last who will buy into the boomer BS.

It's romantic to think back about living in "interesting times" then again actually living in them/during them is something else entirely...*ahem*...

I want that Rose Morris three pickup Ricky !

Flakey likes this.

13. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Amen.

14. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    Hmmm, 1964 to 1972, eh?

In 1964, we knew who the Beatles were, hair length was a MUCH bigger issue than drugs, and most Americans couldn't have found Vietnam if you gave them a map with a big red circle drawn around it. Radio was AM ONLY. There were 2 TV stations in most television markets unless you lived near a very large city, and they were NBC and CBS. They went off the air between midnight and 1 AM.

1965 bought us the Addams Family, and everything changed after that. Well, maybe not, but by God, I did love that show. You begin to hear more "white people rock-n-roll" played on the airwaves, but it was still AM only, race was increasingly becoming the centerpiece of the evening news, and a few people figured out where Vietnam was.

In 1966 it was apparent that this rock-n-roll fad had some real legs and wasn't disappearing like my parents so fervently hoped it would. Hair was still a big deal but the word "marijuana" started to pop up in conversation from time to time. TV was going all color by now, and one at a time, you starting seeing color TVs appearing in houses around the neighborhood. This was a BIG DEAL on Sunday nights when Disney came on. I can still recall exactly where I was when I saw the intro to that show in color for the first time.

1967. IMO, this was THE year when the 60s are discussed. Race Riots, drugs, hippies, draft riots, Vietnam has gotten red hot and now everybody knows where it is. And the music.... 1967 can lay claim to a huge amount of AMAZING & significant releases from both a musical and sociological standpoint. 67 can be summed up as "**** WAS HAPPENIN'!" 1967 remains a special year if you were around for it.

1968 continued the best and worst trends of 67, lots more riots, Burn Baby, Burn, The Nam, drugs, drugs, drugs and more drugs and SEX. The movie industry embraced the anti-hero, a romance that continues unto this very day. FM radios begin to appear in cars and the rock-n-roll stations begin to transition to the "no static at all" world of frequency modulation. LPs begin to be made in stereo by default, as mono begins to lose its vise-like grip on studio engineers. Politics, already turned up to 11, got really shrill that November.

1969... it was the best of years, it was the worst of years. Stuff that we all knew couldn't last, it didn't. Drugs began to get a lot edgier, the days of puff puff pass pass were turning into junkies riding the spike. The Milhouse was in the White House, and he bought Spiro along with him. There was trouble. 69 bought a lot of trouble. If you were a high school senior and you didn't have the grades to go to college, you WERE going into the service. That hung over everything, all the time, 24/7. The music was good, and oddly.... older people started sporting bell bottoms, sideburns, longer hair.... Madison Avenue discovered the 60s, and suddenly everybody was in. Except your grandparents. They were honestly befuddled by what was going on. America put a man on the moon, which was a really big deal if you were around for it, now days no one cares, When Neil Armstrong died, the New York Times ran a story declaring astronaut Neil Young had died. They pulled it down after a few hours, but not before me and few million other folks had taken screen caps.

1970 meant the 60s were over, but the party kept on rolling. Lots of drugs, lots of hair, lots of sex, lots of rock-n-roll and Vietnam continued to eat people. Kent State happened in May and the mood got VERY serious, VERY quickly if you were of that age. Soldiers (yeah, I know, it was the Ohio National Guard, but look at the pictures and use 1 word to describe them) were gunning us down and how can you run when you know? 70 was the year I got radicalized for a spell. Jimi died. That was some serious BS.

1971 was Vietnam and get your haircut and what's that funny smell coming from your room and in reply, LOUD PROFANITY. Sides had been taken, lines had been drawn, "Don't trust anybody over 30" went from a joke to a way of life. 1971 was very acrimonious. The anti war movement and the civil rights movement were deemed to be very "chummy" by the powers of the day, and letting your freak flag fly was a considered risk in a great deal of America. Getting shaken down by the law was not an unusual event in 71, The Manson Family trial in California convinced a lot of people that hippies were actively evil murdering dope fiends and needed to be eradicated, locked up, shot, beaten to a pulp, you name it. Man, that was one effed up year.

In 1972, The Milhouse runs against McGovern and that was a total blowout. That was the first time I ever worked "within the system" for a given political candidate, and it was very educational, but probably not in the manner that was intended. 1972 saw a major force reduction in ground troops in the Nam (this has started earlier, but we were accustomed to being lied to so no one bought it) and it began to appear that there just might be a day when you could get out of high school and .... get a real job. Things are still pretty tense at home, kids do not trust authority figures at all, cops still have license to bounce hippies - or whoever they deem to be "hippie-ish", lots of all the sex drugs & rock-n-roll, it was a nice summer where I was...

That's all I remember, or can legally say, as I am uncertain of statute of limitations in various states that I may or may not have been in.

This went on a bit. Sorry about that. It was intense.

15. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I'm slightly younger than all the old codgers posting here. Here's my version of 'the 60's'...

I don't consider myself a boomer. My parents were too young for that. For me, the 60's start with Kennedy's declaration of going to the moon and end with the end of the Apollo program, Watergate, Nixon's resignation, and the OPEC embargo.

Musically, there wasn't much for me. We didn't much listen to the radio. No idea what my father liked to listen to, if anything. My mother listened to what is now pigeonholed as 'Beautiful Music'. And Rafael Mendez, who I would not classify as such. Oddly enough, for me the end of the 60's also meant that I got my first radio. One that was in a box of stuff my family hauled around from place to place.

Vietnam didn't really touch us personally. My father was 4F due to having to wear glasses. One uncle was the only son of a farmer, the other too old. My cousins who got drafted were from a first marriage and much older.

My parents finally bought a house, and we lived in the same place for 5 whole years, ending in 73. Fairly happy days then, with the stability. Then they sold it in 73 and we moved every year in apartments again for another 4 years or so until they bought another house. That stunk.

Big change between 60's teachers and 70's teachers. Elementary school teachers in the 60's were all elderly, unmarried women (which is why I'm amused an appalled at anyone who says that children are only successful if their teachers are like them. Mine weren't at all!) Middle school teachers in the 70's were young (except for one, who was my mother's teacher in a previous life, but thought young), hip, and progressive. We lucked out there. We were the children of our 60's teachers, and the future to the 70's teachers.

In the 60's, we were going places. In the 70's were were not.

Minimalist518 likes this.

16. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    If you think life was better 60 years ago than today, it's because you're not old enough to remember how it was 100 or 150 years ago. There were always sleazy politicians, political assassinations, dishonest bankers, wars, general wackos, riots over one thing or another, you name it. The issues of race, drugs, hair styles, war, poverty and monetary inequality, health care, etc. have changed very little in the last 100 years. The drugs, hair styes, and wars have changed, but the basic issues remain the same. The country swings back and forth as to whom it votes for, but the issues don't really change. People say the drugs got more potent. I don't believe that. They just didn't have LSD 100 years ago, but the booze, the weed, the cocaine, the opiates were just as potent or nearly so 100 years ago as they are now.

Music styles have certainly changed. There was no Metal or Rap or EDM back in the sixties, but there was plenty of other stuff, and a lot of it was lousy. Back then, you generally only heard music that got airplay on the radio, so you didn't get to hear the 26 cover versions of Why Do Fools Fall in Love, or all the other sound-alike tunes that didn't make it. There was no Internet or Cable Music Channels through which you could stream practically anything, so you're exposed to a lot of music today that you would never have had the chance to hear back then. And a lot of it sucks. And a lot of it was bad then, too.

Flakey and william tele like this.

17. BigDaddyLH

Wrong.

There are different estimates that fentanyl is anywhere from 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine and anywhere from 30 to 50 times more potent than heroin. And Carfentanil is 100 times stronger than fentanyl. There's an epidemic in drug overdoses right now and it shouldn't be ignored.

As for cannabis, do you really thing today's is no stronger that what was around in the '60s? For reals?

Chick-N-Picker and william tele like this.

18. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I know for a fact that today's weed is not stronger than the best stuff that was available in the sixties. I spent 4 years in college doing intense research on it, and I can state it for a fact. It was just as good, and a lot cheaper.

Smiff and dkmw like this.

19. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    The violence then, right or wrong at least was usually protesting something that someone believed in. It wasn't just random!

Chick-N-Picker likes this.

20. BigDaddyLH

What about on average?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.