Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To those who were there; tell us about...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    Big Band
    Swing
    Doo Wop
    Rockabilly
    Elvis
    Country Western
    Johnny Cash
    Blues
    Beatles
    Stones
    Cream
    Hendrix
    Motown
    Led Zeppelin
    Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
    Disco
    Funk
    Glitter
    Kiss
    Hair Bands
    Guns 'n Roses
    Grunge
    Nirvana
    Rap
    Different sounds for different times......add to my list, or re-arrange it.

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I think I've heard about Haight Ashbury by the early to mid 70's being so different but I can't remember what was said.

It's an interesting thought to me how it changed. Care to elaborate on the differences? I know you were'nt there for the original 64-70 run but I mean on what you seen and experienced.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yay, I found another person that was listening to the lyrics! I felt the same emotions.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The period made me question many of my beliefs but strengthened my values. I did not have to serve in Vietnam though I know enough that did. I still lived a typical college life from 67 to 72. I was pretty straight arrow. I was an idealist and remained that way for years but that settled into to a more realistic view of things although I am certainly now very cynical. Then again that's what happens when reality smacks into idealism.
    I have profoundly strong and passionate views about things then and now. I can temper it by playing with my granddaughters although I worry about their opportunities for the future.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My parents took me and my sister up the road to just walk the streets of Haight-Ashbury in the late 60s for some out of school education. Yup, I'm still a flower child of sorts. I often went up to S.F. For the music scene as I got older. The music in Golden Gate Park is still in my blood.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Oh does this bring back memories. The first and only time I was ever suspended from school was in Junior High School. I was in 7th grade. We had an air raid drill. The procedure was to leave the classroom in an orderly fashion and duck and cover against the lockers. I left the classroom and headed straight for the door. I was stopped by the assistant principal who asked me where I was going. I explained, if this is a drill it's pointless. No one will survive a real nuclear attack. If it's for real, I'm going outside for the show.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    jrbab, charlie chitlin and Obsessed like this.
  7. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    So that's why a lot of guys your age I meet are cynical. Because idealism and reality have crashed into one another. :)

What's sad is that the older I get the more I question everything and everyone. For example, I used to believe most people were friendly and good towards others.

And on the surface they may be but I've learned when it comes down to it they are liars and only truly care about themselves.

And I know everyone has off days and makes mistakes (I have) but I'm talking about how pure is some ones heart.

8. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm a bit younger than you, but during the tugs and pulls of idealism during the 80s, I kept my 60s values and beliefs whereas I watch my whole generation sell out. It has been very difficult for me to understand it. I thought we had learned a lesson from the 60s, but obviously and sadly not.

9. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I pictured the scene in my head. It seems so cool to must have seen that. It's weird to think about history from this perspective.

I could go to Haight Ashbury tomorrow but it WILL NEVER be what you saw. No one can ever do that again and you can only do it in your mind. But it is actual events and fragments of time that existed. Weird thoughts in my head.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    It is interesting that my parents knew the importance of a 13 year old (1968) to witness what was going on. Part of it is that my Dad's oldest brother had just lost his eldest son (my cousin) in Nam and tore that family apart. In high school, I was sneaking off to the Air Force and Navy recruiting offices taking tests to see what my options might be, while unbeknown to me, my dad was looking at employment opportunities in Canada.

JL_LI likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    When I picture Haight Asbury I smile. Yeah, drugs were a part of life but my picture of it is a place where musicians congregated and wrote some good music...and it was a place that young people formed ideas.

Of course it was a moment in time. That's all that life is...the next moment in time and how you decide to spend it!:)

12. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I think you have it about right. The early 60s seemed more like the 50s to me until '64 and by '73 they were gone.

And what is generally referred to as The Sixties and all that implies essentially covers that period.

Much turmoil, much promise and man, the music. But as mentioned earlier, the war was winding down, fatigue and disillusionment set in and the '70s were upon us. I lived and loved most of it.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My high school was right across the street from Stanford University, where we watched protest marches and the burning down of buildings. Our High School abolished our own student government. My middle school had open mic at lunch for student anti war speeches. I worked at a gas station when once in awhile Neal Young would drive in for a fill up (we were the nearest station to his ranch on the east side). At the time I just thought this is what everyone was experiencing across the nation. It was not until I went off to college in '73, that I realized what a special spot I grew up in.

thegeezer and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  14. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    great thread... really enjoyed reading all posts... i was born in 69 so i m too young to remember but this thread is excellent... thanks for the memories people

cheers

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  15. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Is it just me or is it weird that I feel the same way and noticed this about a time frame that I didn't live in nearly 50 years ago. And it's just from listening to music, watching movies, reading, and talking to people. I mean how does that happen? To most people who were not there it's probably; 69? 74? What's the difference? To me it's a huge difference but why? I wasn't there. I have no memories. Why when someone mentions a certain year my brain cranks up with thoughts and feelings?

I weird myself sometimes with the way I think about history. It's like I was there and was part of it. Am I ghost? :) I ensure all I am not on LSD right now. I hear that stuff has been hard to find for quite some time. ;)

dkmw likes this.
  16. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    it was great. I blame disco

jrbab, Humble Pie and teletimetx like this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the same thing in the 80s and that is why I said we lost more of our values in "greed is good" decade than we did in the 60s. We lost our innocence in the 60s. We've repeated and continue to repeat the mistakes of the past.

thegeezer and Obsessed like this.
  18. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I was born in '54. The 60s (and 50s) and early 70s were nice in that it was a very safe and pretty stable. Drugs were coming onto the scene. Lot's of concerts and such. What has happened to our society since I'd rather not say except it's unsafe and uncivilized.
    Sociopathic behaviors have been fostered and nutured as well as entitlement as well as grandiosity. Anything else borders on getting me banned.

knopflerfan, Hammerdog, jrbab and 4 others like this.
  19. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup. I know that history repeats itself, but to actually bear witness within one generation surprises the heck out of me.

Humble Pie likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup. I had to walk away. I can't bear to watch it happen.

midnight340 and KyAnne like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.