Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To those who were there; tell us about...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    There is a saying that, “if you remember the 70’s you weren’t there”.

Seriously, I correlate the times to the music, just like Uriah said. In 1962, I was 7 years old, and my parents bought me a transistor radio. Doo wop was still popular, (think Gene Chandler’s “Duke Of Earl”), Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons were hot, Elvis, Everly Brothers, and there was a heavy dose of early R&B. I grew up outside of Philly, so we didn’t listen to country.

Then c1963-1964 things changed forever. I was then between 8-9 when I first heard “She Loves You” by the Beatles. I’m speaking for my generation here, but you immediately fell in love with that sound. Nobody else rocked like that, up until that point. Beatlemania was real, and it seemed like everybody loved them. You wouldn’t really understand it unless you lived it. Then came the Animals, Kinks, Stones, Herman’s Hermits, Yardbirds, Zombies, Bob Dylan, and you had this sense that the “times were a changin’”.

After that, it was like somebody opened the floodgates. The folk rock scene and psychedelic music heated up simultaneously. The Doors, Janis, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Clapton, Pink Floyd, The Band, The Byrds, CSNY, Neil Young, James Taylor, et. al.

Every generation has great music, and I’m not gonna say ours was the best, but it was pretty darn good!

PS: Musical festivals still thrive to this day. The Philadelphia Folk Festival has been going strong since 1962. The Newport Jazz Festival has been active since 1954. So, yes, music festivals are all over the map.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    thegeezer, DonM, Obsessed and 5 others like this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    LSD was illegalized in '65. Thankfully we had Owsley doing sound for the Dead at the time... or things would have stopped a few years earlier...

3. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    The 60’s moving into the 70’s, don’t have a comment on any national trend, I only know how it was for me. Two words, wonderful and frightening.

The wonderful; The girls, the cars, the drugs, the alcohol, the music, walking on the moon.

The frightening; Vietnam, monks setting themselves on fire, daily body counts from Southeast Asia, losing Kennedy and Bobby and Martin, Kent State, Watts riots, George Wallace, Nixon, the drugs.

4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Don't get the thread closed but it would have been interesting to see your opinion.

You

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I was a kid growing up in semi-rural Georgia. Here are a few things that I remember that weren't particularly headline news like the space program, Vietnam, school integration, assassinations and so forth.

I was a fan of Beaney and Cecil

My first "guitar" reflected that...

[​IMG]

I was too young to go to the Atlanta Pop Festival that was just up the road but I heard about from older teens, especially some who had ran away from home to go to it that my parents helped out. I thought they were cool but my parents didn't want me to talk to them.

My older cousin served in the Marines, fighting in the Battle of Khe Sanh. When he returned home, he became kind of a hippie folkie, went out to California and such. He played a lot of traditional folk songs mixed with Dylan. He was a big influence on me taking up guitar as well as joining the Marines.

So, where did you go to buy a guitar in the late 60's to early 70's if you didn't live near a music store? You went to our version of Amazon, the Sears Christmas Wishbook...

[​IMG]

Of course, you needed a cool bike too...

[​IMG]

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Born in 1964, but i started listening to radio early on, man..the beatles,stones, Zep Sabbath,CCR ect..all these tunes we revere so much were live on the radio and it was exciting..it wasnt like today..over processed garbage,,it was guitars into tube amps ...it was raw..and the music genres was just so open ..no clogging up with 1000 bands of every type...the who,kinks,dylan, hendrix,doors..ahh...man..the radio was so good

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    It's not so much that I disagree...however, I do feel pity for people who express such bitterness and responsibility for spontaneous social evolution and the outcomes they have no control over...

moosie and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    For me, things musically began to change for the worse with the arrival of the 1910 Fruitgum Company. I still ain't got no love in my tummy for bubblegum music, which I think was the forerunner to hip hop.

DonM and Stringbanger like this.
  9. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    In my world, at the age I was during proper bubble gum, it was girls that mostly decided whether I liked bubble bum or not.

Oh...who am I kidding...I loved Tommy James.:oops:

10. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Oct 25, 2011
    Maryland
    munich.jpg

This was a game changer for me.
    Summer of 72 being 13 and walking in from messing around outside with friends and seeing this on TV.
    I think for the first time I realized planet earth was not such a friendly place after all.

11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Everything before computers was better.

Alex W, viccortes285 and Humble Pie like this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    People mostly were ignoring Elvis, other than the 68 Comeback Special. And there was all this BS hippie crap. So yeah, public tastes totally sucked back then. A big period of cultural devolution, IMO

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, I think the thread should have already been closed with that response. It's one person's opinion choosing to judge an entire period as when we somehow discarded our "values". I would say, in fact, we were trying to find our moral compass with regard to injustice, racial inequality and war. We either lost our innocence or naivety in that period. In my opinion, we lost more important values in 80s. The age before the 60s was not "Apple Pie Americana".
    The 60s were a time of revolution and immense change. So many issues all converged at one time. I can't forget things like Kent State when 4 innocent kids were killed by the National Guard. Those kids were painted with a broad brush as malcontents or agitators. Does that sound familiar? (Blame the victim)
    I can't forget when some folks cheered when MLK Jr was assassinated. I can't forget the rows and rows of shanty houses two blocks from my dad's corner drug store. (Just on the other side of "respectable" neighborhoods). Where were our "values" then? Sadly "shanty" towns still exist they just look a little different.
    Yes music certainly played a role in expressing the feelings, fears and hopes of the age. Dylan, CSN, Joni Mitchell, the Beatles and others all put a voice to the change that was occurring, sometimes in outrage.
    Listen to Dylan's "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll". That's real.
    Of course, sadly there is no utopia that many sought back then. It doesn't exist and never will.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Both Kennedys killed.
    Dr. King killed.
    Eugene McCarthy was suddenly replaced with Nick Dixon and it was all over.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    From '65 until early '70 I lived in a closed, protected environment. A USAF base in a foreign country. The TV and radio were both Armed Forces Broadcasting, and everything else was in a foreign language. I was shielded from much of the events that were transpiring in our country, so culture shock awaited me when my Dad retired and we returned to the U.S.

16. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Like you said, that was his opinion. So it's hard to tell him he's wrong because that's what he saw. I saw things more like you did as well...and somehow, I managed to enjoy my life and don't recall intentionally hurting anyone. And I certainly wasn't represented by the picture Roscoe painted...

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Being the same age, but growing up in the S.F. Bay Area, I experienced almost everything you mentioned too. There were fun fuzzy times and dark scary times. The draft ending just before my number came up at the end of high school in '73 that let me go ahead and plan a future. That is when the 60s ended for me, but I am still that 60s hippie at heart. Sometimes I feel like I was the only person that listened to the rock and roll lyrics of the 60s.

thegeezer, william tele and JL_LI like this.
  18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    I was young at the time, when I was in intermediate school, my friends and I heard rumors that the Rolling Stones were going to be playing at a local bar in the San Gabriel Valley somewhere. Just a little bar with no notice. I didn't get to go, but there was an episode of the Wonder Years where the same thing happened to them.

When I was 13, I was introduced to the music of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors, The Animals, etc.

When I was 9, my uncle played me a Jimmy Reed album and I was in awe.

19. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Same thing, not that agree or disagree but that's a personal and deep response. That's what I like reading. Part of me just wondered; why do I care about the responses in this thread?

We're talking about a period of time that ended 20-25 years before I was born. Maybe it's the personal ties that make it more interesting than a book or documentary. Maybe people my age should try to absorb the thoughts and feelings of people who actually lived through the periods before them. Notice I didn't say learn because what one could learn from somebody could be a horrendous set of values and morals. One must examine their own moral compass.

One could learn values from you and they would be a completely different person than learning from RoscoeElegante. But listening and making ones own judgement is important, which is why free speech is so important.

Honestly don't even know what I'm saying or the point. What do I know?

t guitar floyd and Minimalist518 like this.
  20. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Of the ones mentioned I'd have to go with Janice. She's my favorite female singer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.