Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To those who were there; tell us about...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    1964-1972. What was it like? When did the 60's seem to start crashing down? Looking back as a history/music lover. It seems like they lingered into maybe 71/72 and then it just changed. The festival's went away. Everything seemed to change. I mean what really happened? What was it really like?

I'm not going to muddle this OP down with my thoughts. I'm just going to let those who were there share. Looking forward to reading the responses.

blille, PhredE and TheGoodTexan like this.
  2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The last six weeks of '72 were pretty good for me.

Blue Bill, Sillyak and Nickadermis like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Candy tasted sweeter back then.

rich815, McGlamRock, Hiker and 3 others like this.
  4. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    It seemed to me that the sixties started to come apart shortly after Kennedy was assassinated and Johnson escalated the war in Vietnam. Then, Bobby got assassinated and Nixon was elected president. After that, the fun was over. The festivals ended because Woodstock was a fluke, and people started getting hurt or killed at them.

5. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    You forgot MLK. Impactful for me anyway.

Ekko, 6l6-57, JustABluesGuy and 5 others like this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Definitely that, too. And then having Hendrix and Joplin and Morrison all OD on short order was also a bring down.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Opposition to the War was an incredible engine, that drove expression and forced disparate people to work together for common causes, and IMO as the War began to wind down, people re-discovered some faultlines that existed between those who were once allies.

Also, just flat out exhaustion. You cannot usually keep "a cause" going indefinitely. Drugs also consumed some people and took the casualties out of the mix. Wild, all out living can run on for a while but eventually it crashes into a wall.

8. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    Altamont 1969. Things weren't right after that.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Not quite sure about your timeline, memorex. For me, the sixties STARTED after JFK died, when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. Yes, the sixties weren't all fun and games, Vietnam, violence by police during civil rights protests, Chicago during DNC, Tate/Manson murders. But for me, the music overshadowed most of that. I was 17-18 in 1969, probably didn't grasp a lot of the "badder" stuff up to that. Watergate wasn't until 1972. Woodstock wasn't the only "good" festival, there was Atlanta, Lewisville, Monterrey, etc. I think it was like A Tale of Two Cities...."The Best of times, the worst of times"......

10. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2009
    Southern California
    I was just graduating from a liberal West Coast college in 1972 and had the distinct feeling that the freshness and newness and edginess of music in the mid 1960s had given way a feeling of more beat-down-ness. There were still good bands of course, but the world they were making music in had changed. I finally moved to Haight Ashbury in the summer of 1975 and the summer of love was most certainly gone, replaced by harder drugs, destitute souls on the street and a more desperate air. My personal view. I am 67.

Matt G, Georox and Chicago Matt like this.
  11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I'm not much older than you, but I clearly remember the McCarthy era, and the Cold War, and how most of the country started to believe the world was going to get better after Kennedy beat Nixon in 1960, and sort of finessed his way out of the Cuban Missile Crisis. I really believe that's when the party started.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    the drugs definitely wore off by about 72.

kidding.

sort of.

Certainly by 1973, everything counter culture about the 60s and the hippies and flower power and people lets stop the war, all that stuff... had made its way into the mainstream and so the thrust of it, the main power line so to speak... totally compromised. Its no longer radical when your main purpose of philosophy or anger, is voiced on a tshirt you got at K-Mart.

I mean, hell, even I had flower embroidered bellbottom jeans by about 1972 and was listening to Hendrix. And that was in North Carolina.

So it had run its course. I think the 60s ideals and lifestyles and all that, crashed and burned as others have mentioned, sort of lingered... but were long gone when disco came in.

Things change but somehow remain the same. Then punk came in and cleared out a lot of the 70s hedonism, or so the lofty minds at Rolling Stoned thought, and prayed for.

Alas.....Then punk went mainstream and married disco.

Will the circle... be unbroken?

middy and 6stringcowboy like this.
  13. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I remember having a 68 camaro that had a trunk lid that I painted the steal your face logo on with the inscription "Better Dead Than Disco" but that was a bit later . . . . . . .

6stringcowboy likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Reed?

15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Well, having lived through all of that..

I agree with pretty much everything said so far.

I think what all those events and influences did was to give people a reason to feel and express themselves -- it evoked some of the best and most creative music in modern times. It certainly was not all good -- a lot of it was, a lot was bad too. But, the music that came from all that was some of the best.. EVER. Pop, Rock, R&B/Soul, Blues, Hard Rock, Bossa Nova, Country, Jazz too... there was something for everyone then; I don't think the sum total creativity and productivity overall can be matched anytime soon.

My 0.02 and I'm sticking to it.

Ricky D. and Georox like this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    For me musically I can follow my albums. Sam the sham to blue cheer to stooges to mountain to deep purple to Tull to bad co to nada.

17. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    American Experience did a great episode on The Summer of Love. It covers the good and bad aspects of it, but it's also only an hour long. It mostly focuses upon efforts to create a Utopia and the reality of doing that.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

KENT STATE, JACKSON STATE, Watts, Detroit, Bull Connor, Slain Civil Rights workers in addition to assasinations, Vietnam, etc.
    “Don’t trust anyone over 30!”

A time of incredible tragedy, change and deep divisions. The sexual revolution, flower power.
    Music played a huge part in shaping the cultural changes.

I would say Bobby Kennedy’s assasination was the breaking point because it lead to a totally different direction for the US.

teleman1, John Owen and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    Albany,NY
    We had to walk to school backwards, under water, and in 14 feet of snow. 10 miles everyday, both ways. You kids have it easy now.

20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Well, I started out the sixties practicing hiding under a school desk in preparation for nuclear war. Which is a great experience when you're six years old (sarcasm).

Then the British Invasion came, JFK was assassinated, LBJ escalated in Vietnam; all before I was 10 years old. Civil rights movement was a big deal too - I'm just old enough to remember segregation.

Music moved so fast you could hardly keep up. In 68 I was thirteen and saw Jimi for my first real show. He might as well have been from another planet.

Growing your hair and dressing the way you wanted could get your @ss kicked in many areas. But it was fun to be a teenager during the sexual revolution.

In 69 my friends and I heard about this new band that was playing for free at Piedmont Park, and went up to see them. I was already into the blues, but unprepared for what I heard that day. It wasn't like any other music. They had two drummers, for heaven's sake. And two guitar players who played lead, sometimes in unison. They looked and talked like us, too.

So I have lots of memories, some vivid, some very fuzzy. You know the saying; if you remember the sixties you weren't really there!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.