Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

To the non-pro players among us: Why do you play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Jul 15, 2017.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Don't do it.

ukepicker likes this.

2. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Meister

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I think making music with people is a blast. If you happen to get paid, even better. I went for maybe 20 years of not playing with other people and was invited to a session that I've attended every Wednesday for the last 10 years. When the whole thing comes together-no better feeling.

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I have all these guitars, and I gotta do something with them.

:lol:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm gettin' ready for the day Tommy Emmanuel lays that golden guitar at my feet and says, Damn, TD you're the best that's ever been. I have a short ways to go before that happens, but...

I'm going to see Tommy this Thursday, but I'm kind of holding off on havin' a contest with him for another day or two. Imona check him out, and see how much I needa practice. Probably not much. I think it's like kinda ridin' a bike.

william tele likes this.

6. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    Sell all your gear to get really nice stereo equipment??? Are you nuts?!?!?! :eek: I suppose it comes down to your perspective. I'm a non-pro, been playing in bands (and getting paid) for 50 years, and unlike many here, I really have no other hobbies, other than recreational cycling. I just can't imagine not playing for an extended period of time completely by choice. I did stop playing out for a few short years after my son was born, but as soon as I got an offer I was back out there. If you aren't that serious about it I guess I can see your point, but I certainly couldn't do that.

As for stereo equipment, I'm fine listening through my old Altec Lansing computer sound system. I'd rather play.

That's the truth right there! Sometimes chasing that right combination of people is like searching for the holy grail, but if you can latch onto the right people there's nothing better!

ukepicker likes this.

7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    When I was first married, I was obsessed with hunting and fishing and woodworking and guitars and songwriting and I was looking for a '68 ford truck to fix up. My wife sat me down and said, "PICK ONE."

I knew music wasn't gonna go anywhere, so I chose that. Basically quit hunting, fishing, woodworking, etc and bought a nice gibson and started learning how to use it.

Funny now, almost 15 years later, and I built up a bit of a woodshop because it's "for guitars". And now that I have boys, I feel obligated to teach them about hunting and fishing. So really, I still get to do all that stuff, it's just lower on the priority. So low, in fact, that I wouldn't call them hobbies at all.

Music is pretty much it for me to.
    (notice that in my original post I wasn't selling my gear for that 68 ford or a motorcycle or a planer or pheasant gun.)

_____

And again, I'd like to express my thanks for everyone's concern. I bought a new amp last night. A guitar amp. With tubes and everything. So I guess I'm not giving it up. I hope that makes y'all feel better.

I know it makes me feel better :)

william tele and Stubee like this.

8. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    What kind of amp did you get? I've got plenty of nice (enough) guitars, but I still struggle with amps. One will sound good at one venue, then so-so at another, so I'll try a different one and the same thing happens. One of the guitarists I work with uses a sacrilegious Mustang III, but makes if sound pretty darn good.. and consistently at that. I have one of them as well and wonder if I should just use it and be satisfied with "good enough".

ukepicker likes this.

9. Bingopete

Bingopete TDPRI Member

May 13, 2016
    Binghamton, NY 13905
    Like many others here, I play for my own enjoyment and it's therapeutic for me.
    I started playing in the 80s during the rise of heavy metal. Started getting bored with it musically. But really couldn't play much else, didn't know much better at the time. Then I got turned on to the Grateful Dead and the begining of what would be the Jam band scene. Couldn't figure out any of it. Ended up just taking a break from playing for a couple years. And I listened to more kinds of music. Jazz and reggae, bluegrass, prog and all kinds of new Jam Bands. Then picked up my guitar again with new musical influences. Learning things got easier. My playing did not improve really at first. My ears did. I would not recommend a 2 Year break from playing but, I get where a break from playing can be beneficial to some degree.

10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I got a 68 Custom Princeton Reissue. I've wanted it since the first time I heard it. But it's really just a toy.

I'm not a gigging player, so I probably shouldn't make any recommendations. But really getting to understand how to use a versatile amp like a Mustang III or Boss Katana seems like it would help you find a sweet spot in any venue.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Same here, but look at that as a plus! Means you don't HAVE to play to earn a living, so can take your sweet time and enjoy all the "a-ha's" along the journey, or not play at all for a while, then pick it back up.

ukepicker likes this.

12. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2008
    Independence, MO
    It's just plain fun. I don't record or play with others, it's just fun for me.

Oh, and so I get that look on peoples' faces when they find out I bought another piece of gear, lol

ukepicker likes this.

13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Great thread UP!

I'm not that good at anything else. Even though I'm a hacker, I get so much enjoyment out of it. It's challenging to my mind to stand in the kitchen most nights with my acoustic, and blast all my troubles away. I will play songs by heart, and test my memory. Other nights I will get the books out, and play songs that I haven't done in a while. Man, it's all good!:D

ukepicker likes this.

14. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    The ability to learn more music. The challenge of it. And the music itself, so deep I can barely make a dent.
    MD

ukepicker likes this.

15. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2007
    Lynden, WA
    I was a pro for a very short period of time, and guess what? I almost stopped playing guitar when it was solely about money. True for most of my friends as well.

Now that I’m in a job I feel good about (teaching high school), music is that creative aspect that I need. I think all humans need it, and when they don’t have a creative outlet of some sort, be it cooking, knitting, visual art, music, etc., they don’t feel right. They buy too much. They drink to much. They do stuff to distract themselves from the fact that they are merely consumers in life, not producers.

Think about this: music was around a long time before people made a living off of it. Therefore, it’s a human need to create. Don’t worry about not being a pro: enjoy your creative time, maybe even leave a few songs for your friends and kids and whomever, and just play.

Biggest thing I learned through some tough times is not to overthink everything. The instant you start taking lie too seriously, you’re a bore to be around. Be a shining light of happiness and fun in other’s lives!

ukepicker likes this.

16. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    I think therefore I play.

ukepicker and mad dog like this.

17. bobspez

bobspez Tele-Meister

I have taken breaks when I have felt tired of playing, but I always come back. I enjoy recording and editing music and putting it on youtube and soundcloud and posting a link on my facebook page. Some of it is crap, some of it decent, it really doesn't matter. If I get 3 or 4 "likes" I am happy.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I enjoy the gear, I have become a OK player by the simple fact that I have been playing for almost 40 years. While I enjoy playing it's rarely for more than a hour a day a few times a week, I gig only on occasion. The classic guitars & amps from the 50's & 60s (many drums and keyboards too) are in my opinion modern art and speak to me as strongly as a Albers, or Mondrian print, or a FLW building. I enjoy the tech aspect also, how does it work, how did the technology affect the development of various styles, it's all good fun.

ukepicker likes this.

20. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I agree 100%. I've even felt that way about old circuitboards. And a really well done handwired amp? Man, I want pictures of that on my wall.

21. mfromb

mfromb TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Boston, MA
    1. I enjoy the challenge of learning to play guitar and trying to get better at it. There is a sense of achievement when I learn to play a riff, chord sequence, or a song I couldn't initial play. The personal satisfaction is a source of motivation and fuels the hope that I'll continue to improve to or beyond a level I'm 'satisfied' with.

2. I use one half of my brain far more extensively at work all day. I have increasingly found that hobbies which attempt to kick-start the other half of my brain are a welcome experience, even if it leans on the more oft-used side of my brain, as long as it creates a good intersection and brings the other side of my brain into the experience more than my job does, then I tend to like that. Playing guitar, photography and a few other hobbies I have seem to do that for me and takes me to a different place than I am M-F, 9-5.

3. A continuation of item 1, Bottom line, I WILL become the oldest, slowest to develop, most overlooked guitar 'prodigy' this planet has ever failed to take note of, even if I die trying (the latter of which seems a certainty!). ;-)

ukepicker likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.