Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

to shield or not to shield ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by pirana, Apr 19, 2005.

1. jdimitri

jdimitri Tele-Meister

Naw, i followed the direction on guitarnuts, i like pictures :rolleyes:
    Hmm is it because i have a chrome pickguard?
    I thought because its already metal i won't have to shield it again...

2. onceagriffon

onceagriffon Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2006
    USA
    If the chrome PG is touching the neck pup screws and cover that could be the problem, remember how the guitarnuts directions make a point of ensuring your pickguard shielding doesn't have the neck pup screws touch? from the site:
    "The only critical area is around the pickup slot and holes for the pickup screws. Here you want to make certain that you remove enough material that the metal cover on the pickup and metal springs on the pickup mounting screws don't contact the foil. The pickup cover is grounded and if it also contacts the foil on the back of the pickguard (which will be grounded through the cavity shielding) this will create a ground loop that is susceptible to noise."
    That could be the problem. Is it chromed metal or plastic? Either way you may need to insulate the screws and pup cover from the pg.
    Rob

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006

3. microphonic squeal

microphonic squeal Tele-Meister

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta GA
    I had Jason Lollar make me a pair of pickups with no potting. They sound great as long as you position yourself correctly with the amp (find the sweet spot and mark it on the stage).

Seriously, if you want ultimate tele tone,
    Don't shield and don't pot.
    It will suck the tone right out of your tele.

Love the squeal!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.