Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To relic or not to relic?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jazzybb17, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Jazzybb17

Jazzybb17 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Essex
    Hello there,

I've finally finished spraying my strat body sonic blue. After a few hiccups it seems to have come out pretty well. I still need to wet sand and polish.

I was going for the look of a 56 custom shop relic originally but as it's come out better than expected I'm not sure whether to relic it or not.

I think I prefer the look of the relic and the faded blue but it seems a shame to ruin a good finish.

As its nitrocellulose I've heard that it will wear overtime quicker than poly and naturally relic so at the minute I'm thinking of trying to fade the colour. Would I be able to do this by leaving it in the sun?

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions.

Thanks for looking,

Jon

Attached Files:

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Not really. Reds fade more quickly than other colors but it would likely take quite some time to be real noticeable. But "natural wear" is something that takes years - even decades - unless you tReat your guitars pretty darned badly. Even then the wear would not look like "wear" - it would look like "damage". Aging toner should have been applied before your clear coats.

But it you do not understand how to relic a guitar so it has worn areas in logical areas, scratches that look "normal" and stained by years of use, checking that has grime in it so it doesn't look forced/fake etc - don't do it! Badly relic'd guitars look FAR worse than ones left alone. Relic work is artwork and takes practice - and practice is NEVER done on your actual guitar, it's done on spare bodies/necks finished specifically for relic practice. Otherwise you stand the risk or probably ruining your finish job and ending up with an ugly guitar.

Based on your question I'm assuming you have no experience, and I guarantee you will never get within miles of what a CS '56 looks like. Right out of the gate, your color will be all wrong because you didn't use agin toner - so any relic work will look incredibly "wrong".

You might want to look up "aging toners" and similar finishes on the internet. There's a ton of information available you can use for future projects. Buy some junk Pawlonia bodies from Guitar Fetish, finish them with aged systems and work on relic techniques. IMO it takes 6-12 dry runs before you get to the point of being able to do *mild* relics that look decent - not great, but OK. Possibly less if you have a background in lacquer finishing and artwork. It'll cost money in bodies, coatings, computer "duster" aerosols etc, but it's the best way to learn.

RoyBGood likes this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    My vote is -leave it as-is and let it relic up naturally. That looks like a great finish.

Fiesta Red, brookdalebill and brogh like this.

4. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Yup, listen to Silver and just make do with a good looking guitar. I suppose you could wrap your right bicep with a hunnerd twenny grit paper for a couple months...

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Looks nice. Take it out and play it a lot and and when you're an old fart like us it'll be perfect!

brookdalebill likes this.

6. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT

7. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    UV exposure is the way to fade colors and yellow clear, so if that's what you're looking for, sunlight would achieve it. As for relicing, why not? Research methods, look through actual vintage guitars, and remember that less is more.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I already said no over on Strat-Talk, but apparently I need to say it here too.
    NO.

AAT65 and RoyBGood like this.

9. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

And again... NO!

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Play it, then play it some more.
    Let your friends play it.
    Do outdoor gigs, play it in smoky bars, rock out!
    It'll get there!

11. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Lend it out and it'll be done in no time!

12. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    It looks super as is, but if you really like the relic look go for it! A well relic'd guitar, whether naturally done so or not looks cool too. The last Strat I made sat on a bench in my shop for 3 years. Through moving it from here to there and back again, over that time it took on its own 'well loved look'. Do what you love, do what you feel:)

13. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    Came out great! String it up and start playing. Let Mother Nature take it from there.

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I'll say ti again to follow up on other comments.

Yes, a "well relic'd guitar" can look very good.

And if you do not know what you are doing the chance of that is close to zero, despite gung-ho comments to the contrary. Google "ugly relic guitars" and check out the images (hopefully you'll laugh your a** off!).

Relic work is not simply beating-up a guitar, and "UV fading" takes FAR more time than comments would indicate.

I hope you can figure things out from there on your own.

15. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I'm not a big fan of most relics myself. But that isn't my guitar. Your guitar... if you think you would like a relic'd look more than that beauty right there, then by all means, get to work on it and relic that sucker.

You could ask 100 people on here if you should tar and feather your tele and even if 100 people said NO... it isn't our guitar. If you would ultimately be happier with it, then by all means dip it in tar and feather it! You aren't doing it to please us... you are doing it to please yourself.

16. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Which is better?

A) Fresh clean beautiful woman?

B) Stinky dirty ugly woman?

apply the above to guitars.

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Relic it by playing it.

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    If it's the color contrast you like, why not a gold competition stripe?

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Except of course SOMEbody would say "go for it"...

So...go for it??

imploration likes this.

20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    YOUR girl....YOUR guitar (wink,wink)!

Jupiter likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.