Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To Puff or not to Puff (Poll)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by xxicjoy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. xxicjoy

xxicjoy TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    The Tone Cap tread inspired me to inquire, being a new
    tele owner. My Guitar came with a 100pf cap bridging the
    output and wiper of the volume pot. Ive not seen this in
    any 50's era schematics but do see it in CBS era wiring.
    Any opinions on the value of "to Puff or Not to Puff"?

2. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2003
    Pleasanton, CA
    Personally, I don't like the treble bypass cap, though 100pf is certainly a more reasonable value than the .001uf cap you often see there (.001uf = 1000pf).

I prefer, and, in fact, rely on, the slight loss of highs as I roll off the volume. To me, it sounds more natural.

3. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Mo'town NJ
    Jim, I thought I was alone

I also use my volume knob knowing a little 'ice' gets rolled off. Diming it gives me the highs and the hair, rolling off gives me a little smoothnicity.

4. Roger Alburn

Roger Alburn Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    West Chester, PA
    I found I started using my tone control a lot more since putting a cap across the volume pot. This way the volume knob becomes more like a "dirt" control.

5. da dougster

da dougster Tele-Meister

Count me as "cap-less" and proud of it.

6. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    NO vol pot wiper cap for me, please - a plain ol' vol pot is my best "tone pot". YMMV.

7. Phil Jacoby

Phil Jacoby Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    No vol pot cap for me although I can see why folks like it with 2 PAF style PU guitars.

8. Kevin

Kevin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Matter of preference....

I personally like the treble bleed circuit. I use the .001mf cap with no resistor and 250K pots.... Note that my bridge pup is a SD Broadcaster, so it has more mids, anyway, than, say, a 52 RI; I could see how one of those would be too "icepick-y" to some with the mod.

I would hazard to guess that people who use this circuit generally play with the volume knob somewhere around 8 or 9 (hey, it's a tele; it's hard to know for sure) and then turn the volume up for gain on leads...

That's what I do; I also play with a bit of gain on my amp. Turning down the volume with the circuit "cleans up" the sound -- I think someone called it a "dirt control" -- and then you can add gain as you turn it up. I have a tone control on my guitar that I use as a tone control, and will often roll it back about 1/4 when playing.

Personally, I hate the muddy sound that comes from rolling back the volume on a guitar without the circuit; I just want to turn down the volume -- not change the tone....

As can be seen from the other posts, however, YMMV and probably will.

The best way to tell if you'll like it is to put it in your guitar and try it out. It's a two-minute mod that's easily reversible if you don't like it....

9. med

med Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    I can take it or leave it .

I have bypass caps on my Teles but they are switched into the circuit with a (dirty word commin up) pushpull pot.

Gotta say i love them PP Pots ya can switch all kinds a stuff with out any mods.
    I think i may add a tone cap switch for streight through tone.

I do play with my guitar volume very low (no giggin) and my amp volume high.

YMMV mine sure does.
    Med
    ] :lol:

10. xxicjoy

xxicjoy TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Thanks all. I Did the a/b test a while ago and definitely
    preferr the no cap circuit at least with the fralin pickups
    which are hyped in the ultra high end zone, although your
    point regarding the broadcasters needing the mud
    prevention will stay in mind as I audition a set of those
    PU's.

11. Rusty

Rusty Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2003
    Bridge p/u
    no cap

No cap for me! I agree with Jim Collins--it just sounds more natural that way. The cap made it sound thin when I turned the volume down--not good for MY sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.