To Keep or Not

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Recce, May 3, 2019.

1. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I have a nice Martin 000-28EC. It looks and sounds great . I just put new strings on it and the ring and depth it has with the right strings has returned.

The problem is I recently bought one of Gruhn’s 0000-18 Sinker Mahogany’s. The Sinker sounds marvelous and if I am going to play acoustic I now always pick it up. This is the only guitar I own that when my wife walks by she comments on how good it sounds.

So my question is should I send the Clapton, the 000-28EC, on to someone who will play it and love it or keep it? Great guitar but it isn’t getting much playing time. I wonder if I move it on if I will miss it. I go both ways keep it but then I think you aren’t really using it so why keep it? Both of these guitars are sunbursts.

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I envy your difficult decision.
    On one hand, if the sinker makes you happy and makes the missus happy, life may be simpler with one less "thing" to manage.
    On the other hand, many of us here believe "more is more".
    Looking forward to the group opinion - hive mind.
    Peace - Deeve

Afterthought - save the EC as your "beach guitar"

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I own and love one. It's a different sound and I can see how some may find it limiting. In your case, I'd say sell it if you feel you can't keep both.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

Martin's are always good for someone. If you have something else doing the same thing for you, couldn't your Martin be turned into something else that does something different?
    You have time to ponder; its unlikely you'll wake up one day in a world where nobody wants a Martin.
    Tone wise, is the mahogany Gruhn able to sound as bright as the Martin?

5. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I wasn’t clear both are Martin’s. Gruhn had some Custom Martin’s made from Sinker Mahogany. They do sound different because of different woods. But, I am more likely to pick up the Sinker.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I find I go in cycles. Just because you have a new favorite doesn't mean you won't want to revisit & old friend in time.

Of course that line of thinking gets you into a dozen old friends soon enough.

Tough call.

7. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

If it is not a financial hardship you should keep both. You can always sell it later, but once sold, its tough to get it back. Just keep it. You might find a need for it one day.

8. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior TDPRI Member

I vote for moving it. Sometimes something comes along that usurps the old favorite. That's ok. In my experience, I've never regretted moving something I didn't use. Be honest with yourself. Do you really need it? If you ever needed to, could you get one again? You could also parlay it into something you would use.

9. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've gotten rid of one guitar, that I wasn't playing much at the time and didn't think I needed. I sold it for almost three times what I paid for it. I've regretted it ever since.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Of course, it depends on whom you're thinking of giving it to. If I'd been given a guitar when I was twenty, I wouldn't have been able to take care of it. I'd have either lost, wrecked, or sold it.

Do you have a friend or family member who would actually play it and take care of it, at least for long enough to be worth the gift? If you do, that would make a great present.

If you don't - and if you have space for two and you don't need the money - might as well hang onto it - for the reasons others have mentioned above.

11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you don't need the money, keep it. I think RW and mahogany bodies sound different enough that it's worth having one of each. Plus, are the scale length's different? I like acoustics with different scale lengths for fingerpicking v flat picking.

12. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Always nice to have an extra guitar around for someone else to jam. And hearing it from that side of the guitar may give you new appreciation for the EC model.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Do you need to sell it?

Wouldn’t it be nice to have One rosewood and one mahogany acoustic?

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

If you don't need to sell I'd say keep it. A backup is a wonderful thing to have

Recce likes this.
  15. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

This is the right answer.

JL_LI, stratoman1 and Recce like this.
  16. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Trade the Martin for a National:)

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was in the same boat (not a Martin) about letting go of my best built guitar and even posted a thread on TDPRI like yours. I did what @Nightclub Dwight suggested, and kept it ... for another two years. In the end, I sold it and have never looked back. Perhaps it is better to give it time as you detach yourself from it before letting it go. FWIW

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’ve never parted with a guitar that I didn’t wish I had back. If you’re still eating and paying your rent, mortgage, and taxes, keep it. As Joanie Mitchell said, “You don’t know what you got ‘till it’s gone.”

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Well, Recce? Decide anything?

20. Charlie Bernstein

In the early-eighties, I sold my ES-345 for $400 to pay for a car repair. Two weeks later, I totalled the car.

I knew what I'd had, and it was gone!

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.