Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

To glue frets. Or to not.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Oct 1, 2017.

To glue frets. Or to not.

1. I glue my frets.

63.2%
  2. I don't glue my frets.

36.8%
  1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Simple ballot.

Do you glue frets?

Or do you not glue frets?

(And would be great to know you're reasoning :) )

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I wouldn't.

Gluing frets is a 'last resort' quick-fix correction for sloppy fret tangs...and not something done at the beginning.

Proper slot deep and width...and proper fret sizing...combined with proper installation yields a LONG life end result.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Mat UK likes this.

3. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2014
    Indiana
    Old Tele is right , do the job right and glue is not needed and causes more work when you re-fret.

Mat UK likes this.

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I glue fret ends down on multiscale boards because a single radius on the wire won't work perfectly for every case, and you can't press them in, you have to hammer them, which inherently can result in some fret ends sitting a little higher, especially if you have binding where the tang is undercut and there is no tang to hold the end down. For a single radius board, I don't glue frets.

Mat UK likes this.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I've glued mine so far: a drop of water-thin CA wicked into the ends of the slots after pressing. I'm building one with binding this time around and not sure whether to do it or not (and how).

Mat UK and jvin248 like this.

6. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    When bindings are used, the fret ends MUST be cut/filed perfectly straight and perpendicular so that they fit fully & tightly against the binding strip.

Mat UK likes this.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Sounds like a dang good reason to never use binding... :D

BorderRadio, Piggy Stu and Crafty Fox like this.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I got a tang nipper from Stew-mac. Works very well for this purpose.
    I also always glue in the frets these days.
    If I ever have to pull a fret, the glue is easily loosened with a little heat from a soldering iron on the fret.

Mat UK likes this.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Install and a drop of thin CA at the ends but I also add some fret board powder in the slot ends (fretboard powder is the dust from sanding the fretboard radius).

I remember PRS dabs a bit of CA on their 'Core' line frets.

Mat UK likes this.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Not all the time...look at an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Notice how the bead is on top of the binding...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENSMGCH?product_id=ENSMGCH&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core&adgroup=Guitars%20-%20Electric%20-%20Epiphone&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=55280239081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpMLOBRC9ARIsAPiGeZBNsjXUGWBn3ynG3CCdmcNNkrnxh_KsB-Nb2w5NisqStc-44l8wLBUaArxuEALw_wcB

Mat UK likes this.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I glue fret ends as insurance that I won't knock them loose during beveling, leveling, and rounding.

Mat UK likes this.

12. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I glue them but only because I figure I need all the help I can get. I have no science on it.

Jackadder and Mat UK like this.

13. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

No glue unless needed if one wont stay down. No reason for glue otherwise.

Mat UK likes this.

14. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Hey Jupe.............If you do a bound fret board you'll wonder why they aren't all bound. The plastic tip on the end of a properly bound FB is a lot smoother to play than a shaped fret end IMHO and if the fret "sprouts" a smidgeon the nice smooth plastic still won't rip the skin off. The main tool you'll need is a file with a smooth edge so you can file the fret ends perfectly perpendicular to the inside wall of the binding channel. Once the excess binding is removed from between the frets, you can then shape the fret ends to lovely smooth "nibs" then Bob will be everyone's Uncle.

fret before second binding.jpg IMG_9675.11.jpg

Mat UK and Old Tele man like this.

15. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    These days, I associate bound fret edges with High-Quality and bare fret edges with Cheap-Quality...wasn't always that way, but it seems so today.

Mat UK likes this.

16. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Almost forgot about this!

Thanks for your comments. I’m going to go in dry and if I’m not satisfied I’ll wick some CA in. I will fill the ends anyway which will probably have the same effect as suggested

17. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Use thicker CA that cures slower. Use only dab, press in, spray the accelerator, Bob's a relative of yours.

18. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Uncle Bob is the weird guy with one eye and walks with a limp? Spends a lot of time in his closet?

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    A fret slot is mighty narrow to get a dab of CA in there without splooging it onto the fretboard...and how does the accelerator get into the slot??

20. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Dab goes in with a toothpick and the accelerator takes advantage of the capillary action. I think it's a chemical chain reaction, when a dab of a dab get in touch with the accelerator, it seems to harden all the way.

You can protect the fretboard from overflow with fretboard oil.

Jupiter likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.