Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

To Bigsby or Not to Bigsby? that is the question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by timspong, Feb 16, 2017.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Tele and a Bigsby? Nah. It's a Tele..

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    There seems to be many variations on 'commercial' Thinlines--Warmoth offers both back cavity options, USACG has no back cavity, and CV Thinlines have a cavity but instead of the parallel 'bars' there is only one down the center line. FMIC, I don't know much but I believe they've done both styles as well.

I don't think trading 4 shorts screws on a 1/4" top for a single screw at the end pin is much more insurance--both seem like solid options, and let's not forget you can get a big bite into 'solid' wood with at least one longer screw at the front end of a B5. YMMV.

3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Then don't be shy! drill that sumbich!

If you don't like the bigsby then you have some holes in it that tell a story!

It's a guitar not a newborn baby.

Dave-B and drlucky like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    I hear ya and I am in two minds weather to do it or not. However, it is not so much about the guitar but about the music I play. A subtle bit of bigsby on some parts would work wonders. I sometimes bend the neck to get the same kind of effect but that only works in certain situation further down the neck. It would be great to be able to do it any time the tune calls for it.

Also I ride a motorcycle most of the time and I can only strap one guitar in a gig bag on the back with my pedalboard and a Gretsch hard shell case would probably be way too big. I have a lot of factors working against getting a second guitar and the wife's raised eyebrows would be another one LOL.

6. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia

I was actually considering a Jazzmaster. I love the neck pickup but I have yet to find one with a nice sounding bridge pickup.

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    no wangbar?

8. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Not having x-ray vision, I can only vouch for bodies that I've made myself. The endpin area is pretty strong. How strong that 1/4" of wood is depends on the wood. Maybe I'd trust maple but most of my thinline tops are cedar or redwood. I find the Vibramates for 4 screw Teles and Cabronita Thinlines very attractive and top quality. Being able to use Graphtech saddles with a Bigsby is also a bonus. No need to ground the Bigsby separately.

9. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    1487348817776.jpg

teletimetx and AngelDeville like this.
  10. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, moot point then? I don't like Vibramates, just my opinion, man.

11. screefer

screefer TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan
    Could I ask for more detail regarding your mods on your Import bigsby?
    Thanks

12. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The tone is all Tele too (ignoring the gold foil)--my top Tele besides my Classic 50s. User-friendly mods include a drilled-through string bar and a Chet arm bracket so I can rotate the butter-knife arm 360 degrees. Callaham offers these but I didn't buy anything but the solid steel roller bar from him. Chet brackets are cheaper, I machined the string through DIY with my drill press. The string bar is well worth the Callaham price or the set-up work for cuss-free string changes.

13. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    1487351763093.jpg discard the fiber washer and replace the lock washers with a stack of 3 Tele pickup springs nested. I also replace the supplied 1" spring with a 7/8" spring.

14. King Creole

King Creole Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Dave-B, BorderRadio and mikeyb like this.
  15. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    Just my opinion:
    I HATE bigsbys. I hate the look. I hate the function. But seriously, I hate them.

16. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe it's because I have 20 guitars with Bigsbys but the level of difficulty to bend the string end to loop it on the post is greatly exaggerated.

RoscoeElegante and drlucky like this.
  17. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    No doubt, these make a big difference. I'm in the process of getting all mine changed over. It especially helps with the 'stiffer' B5/B7/B12 designs.

Dave-B and King Creole like this.
  18. Dave-B

Dave-B TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2015
    UK
    Well, to throw an actual example into the ring, here's my Harley Benton "Cabronita Shaped Object" upgraded with a B50. Stays in tune way better than my Gretsch G5422, is loads of fun to play, and worked out cheaper new than a second hand Squier Cab. But you gotta get the tools out and commit ;)

I think a tele is one of the few guitars that a Bigsby looks genuinely good on - the industrial look enhances the simplicity.

[​IMG]

Oh, and it has a Rev soft spring fitted as well. Essential.

19. screefer

screefer TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan
    Thanks much Mikeyb, and thanks to King Creole...I just ordered the soft touchers....
    Cheers

20. King Creole

King Creole Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    That there is a pretty guitar.

Dave-B likes this.
  21. Dave-B

Dave-B TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2015
    UK
    Thanks, I'm pleased with how it turned out. There's definitely gold to be found in some of these cheaper imports - a little TLC and some light modding can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.