Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

To Bigsby or Not to Bigsby? that is the question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by timspong, Feb 16, 2017.

1. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squier-vint...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$442+50 shipping

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Touche :) I still support the other guy's intent to strip his Squier as he sees fit, and I predict this price will not hold--definitely an outlier. The bidding history shows more experienced bidders dipping out early, in my defense...

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I love Bigsbys. But I would personally only add it to a second guitar. The tone and feel are different. Not better or worse, but different.

On Tele's I prefer no trem (Bigsby or otherwise). But I love a Bigsby on an LP or even an SG. But if I had only one guitar (personally) it would be a hard tail.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    I hear ya. But I love it so much that I won't be selling it. And that glossy black...not my thing. Plus, I have to put on a new nut, bridge, and tuners, anyway. I love woodworking, but I've never climbed guitar de-finish mountain before. So you won't be abetting a sin if you give me some advice!

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I say leave your #1 alone. Even if the Bigsby magically doesn't change a thing it will still feel different to you and will probably nag at you. More likely it will change either the
    tone or the feel and you will not like that.

What a great excuse to get another guitar. I really like the Bigsby system. The only one I like better is a Jazzmaster style tremolo. If you decide to go for another guitar you might think about a Jazzmaster. I have a Classic Player's Jazzmaster, which I like a lot, but there's also tons of praise for the J Mascis Squier Telecaster-- great 100% stock.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-j-mascis-jazzmaster-electric-guitar

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I took the gloss black poly finish off a 1996 American Std strat using a heat gun, and it worked really well.

I'm debating putting a Bigsby on the pine Tele Jr I am building. It will have a Pigtail wraparound bridge. I don't have any guitars with bigsbys so I am intrigued by the idea of putting one on this guitar.

8. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
  9. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2015
    Melbourne Australia
    To each his own I guess, the only bigsby equipped guitar I have is a Squier VM Cabrinita and it works fine. Holds tune and is great to play.

10. OtherJMac

OtherJMac TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Atlanta
  11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    There is a lot to be said for leaving a Tele/Esquire un-Bigsby'd. The purity, playability (in terms of playing over the bridge, unfettered control panel), etc.

But a decent Bigsby on a decent Tele/Esquire is great, too. I wouldn't put one on my '52 Hot Rod, or even my Esquire, but I do love my Bigsby'd Squire VM Cab.

So I dunno about this. The Vibramate might be your best bet for its reversibility. But since there is that inherent somewhat blocked access to the control panel, at least playing some T-types w/ Bigsby's on 'em would be useful.

All that said, ONE of my T-types is getting a Hipshot on it when finances permit/insanity can't be resisted!

By the way, I've got Bigsby's on three guitars, a great Wilkinson trem on a (fine) S-type beater, and a J Mascis Jazzmaster with a vibrato system that works really well. I couldn't say which trem system I like best, but the Bigsby is certainly a complement. I never really divebomb, but I do use the trems I have quite a bit. What makes the Bigsby's maybe the "best" is that they plain look like something off a '55 Buick, and I live in the past, anyway.

drlucky and timspong like this.
  12. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    On a commercial thinline, it's hollow where the Bigsby mounts, so a Vibramate is insurance that you won't tear off the whammy while playing. I don't hollow out the center section of my home built thinlines to make sure there is some wood to screw into.

13. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Not a fan of gfs per se but ill toss ya $40.00 for the x trem and the lil puncher

14. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Just listed on ebay as xtrem bridge and lil puncher for $40 free shipping. Thanks!

15. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia

I want to avoid getting another guitar if possible, I experiment with my tele all the time and I really don't care about drilling holes in it.

16. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    I don't care about drilling holes in my tele. Basically for for the cost of buying the vibramate kit I am spending about $20 to avoid drilling each hole. If someone said to me; "I'll give you $20 for every hole I can drill in your tele I would let them drill as many as they like LOL! Also I don't want to bother with neck shims if I can avoid it. The staggared tuners and nut sauce are great ideas, thanks.

King Creole likes this.
  17. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    My almost fell off by itself. It wasn't keyed into the wood at all and I simply stuck a chisel under the shell and levered it up. I had just finished it in the picture in the OP and I didn't sand it down or anything it simply separated very easily from the wood. However, I am sure this is not normal and YMMV.

mikeyb likes this.
  18. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    that's great info. I might go that way as it looks like a stable set up.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Meister

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Bigsbys just seem right on some guitars, not so right on others. I have 3 Bigsby equipped guitars, 2 Gretsches and a Guild, and the Bigsby just seems part of those guitars personality. I had a Tele with a Bigsby and it just didn't seem right. I'm with those that say don't chop up your current axe, get a Squire and use that to experiment. Or buy an electromatic Gretsch used.

drlucky likes this.
  20. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    I wouldn't say it was cherished. More like, it has been chained to a post and fed lumps of raw meat lol. I know I'll never sell it and I have done enough mods where drilling a few holes is really no big deal.

AngelDeville likes this.
  21. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    Yes a Gretsch would be great but I don't like the electromatics and the pro series are expensive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.