Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tired of my 2 year old Cheap Craftsman saw with wonky fence!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by cap47, Dec 26, 2017.

1. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Bought the Craftsman table saw a little over 2 years ago when I did my 5e3 cabinet and 212 cab. Always had to fudge the fence to get parallel with the blade.Finally it has got so it pops up across the miter slot and I am working new projects and not happy. I went to Lowes today because I saw a nice Hitachi saw with rugged guides and a longer motor shaft that will allow use of Dados up to 13\16 wide and 8" OD. A very rugged fence and easily adjustable for // and Sq cutting. The table is a little bigger too. Got it home set up and working. Nice quality saw.

A Week ago I also replaced my old B&D router table made of plastic. I have a new Craftsman cast aluminum table and much better with my new router too. Larger surface and nice features with underneath storage.

Pictures later.

2. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I finally took some pics of the new equipment today. My new Hitachi Saw, Router Table (Craftsman) and my Power Hand Plane (Porter Cable) in the midst of the dust and chips they have been making. I also had to add a nose extension to my Rockler Thin Strip Rip Guide. The table slot was 1-7/8" farther from the blade than the guide was designed for. Bigger sturdier saw. Now to get some 3/8 plywood to make zero clearance saw guides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nickhofen, R. Stratenstein and eallen like this.
  3. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    20180116_191241.jpg

Well I made 3 of these paper towel holders out of scrap Cedar I reclaimed from the hurricane. I Cut up like 3 to 3 and a half foot sections that I could get on my table saw and square up and make small boards out of. I have also made some pieces to go on my 6g3 head cabinet build. I put one coat of boiled linseed oil over each let soak in for 20 minutes and wiped excess off.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    At one time Craftsman power tools were hard to beat for the money but that boat sailed 30 years ago, I have 3 craftsman Routers & 2 craftsman belt sanders all from the early seventies just great tools

cap47 likes this.
  5. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I ALWAYS buy used tools whenever possible. That said, I had to buy a new table saw because after months of scouring craigslist nothing turned up in my area.

If you have the room, a full size table saw is a guarantee of straight and square projects. I made enough furniture in 2 or 3 years to make it pay for itself.

mattgwvt and cap47 like this.
  6. mattgwvt

mattgwvt TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Norfolk, Va
    If the saw has plenty of power and a good fence, you can spend some time setting it up perfectly. It's the same basic design as dewalts saw. I'd advise making an outfeed table if it's going to stay in the same spot. It's so much easier and safer with a level outfeed.

SacDAve likes this.
  7. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    My craftsman tablesaw is even smaller and cheaper than yours, I decided to modify it, it works 100times better, just make a new top for it. Mine cuts dead straight now, took a bit of modifying but i did this in a matter of hours. IMG_7652.PNG

cap47 likes this.
  8. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Also the cool thing about mine is I can move the fence to the other side, which works better for larger boards.

9. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    Michigan
    That towel holder has wood!
    Thats cool!
    Are you happy with the saw Im looking too for a new saw.
    I had the DELTA 10 with Norms face on it and after two weeks the lift arm that raises the blade the pin stop busted out and took a big chunk of metal full of porosity with it.
    Called Delta and they put blame on user so it went back to Home box store.
    The Hitachi gets some good reviews.

cap47 likes this.
  10. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    Saws that size - the Ryobi used to be top class, but I think it's been dumbed down some.

Look hard at Makita's portable saw, it's very, very nice to work on. The Bosch is too but it's full of levers and handles, more like flying a 747 than a table saw.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I bought a Craftsman saw from the 1950s on Craigslist. Big cast iron table. Then I bought extension wings for it on ebay, and now it's an excellent saw. I would have had to spend at least 1000 more for an equally good new saw, I think.

But a good table saw is really a pleasure to work on and much less dangerous

Brendan likes this.
  12. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'm still eyeing a DeWalt portable one.

mattgwvt likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I've used those quite a lot on jobsites and bought one for my current employer, good saws and a good wheeled stand that is quick to set up or put away in a small space.
    Enclosed blade connects easily to a shop vac for dust collection.

But they are withing a couple hundred dollars of the Delta Contractors saw I bought for home use, with the excellent unifence.
    If not planning to load a saw in and out of jobsites frequently, and the space is available, I'd choose the Delta as worth double money for function.
    Just not for portability.

The Delta has the side extension table for wide rips, and a foot pedal to raise it onto caster for easy moving in the shop or garage.
    I regularly throw a 4x8' sheet on the Delta (by myself), where I need to use a hand operated saw first with the Dewalt. An assistant could allow full sheet cutting but the table is small.
    Portable outfeed rollers are our friends.

I still have two of the little old Makita table saws I used to use on jobsites, they just never die!

I also have an old Hitachi 8 1/2" sliding compound miter saw, Hitachi makes great pro power tools.

14. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I have a small shop and I'm also thinking about setting up a small place for myself at my mother in laws place. Portability is sort of a necessity for me.

And yeah, the comments on the DeWalt that I've seen have been almost all positive. There were a couple of others that were as good if not better. But the dewalt was less.

Been a while since I looked though. Dreaming about purchasing stuff and actually doing it are two seperate things in my life...

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Wow, I just checked and the Hitachi @cap47 bought is on sale now at $349 where the Dewalt runs $549, both with rolling stand.
    They appear to have all the same specs, but I have not used the Hitachi.

16. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    So far I am very happy and this saw can take up to 13/16 wide dado while some others won't.

jimbo735 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.