Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tips on lining up bridge with neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by skycricket, Nov 5, 2012.

1. skycricket

skycricket TDPRI Member

I'm about to bolt on the neck and I was wondering what's THE best way to make sure that sucker is lined up with the neck to avoid strings hanging off of neck??

**picture of nice vintage acoustic I found, just to draw more eyes to the post ;-)

Attached Files:

2. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Assuming nothing was botched in the earlier phases of construction (and you've already drilled the holes in the pocket and the neck), this is an adjustment that I fine-tune after the guitar is strung up. Loosen the mounting bolts slightly, and you can bring the neck a bit left or right until the alignment is where you want it, then re-tighten.

3. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

If you clamp the neck to your exact position, you can hold two straightedges (I like metal yardsticks for this) against each side of the neck. At your point of intonation, stick some masking tape to the face of the body and draw (lightly) two pencil lines to give you both edges of the neck (extended). Split the distance between those lines at the bridge location, and you have established your center line. Armed with a center line, two outer lines, and an intonation line, you have many points of reference with which you can locate your bridge.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. u-design-it

u-design-it Banned

you can use a laser
    works fine fore me

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

From a thread I did a while back on how to install threaded inserts. This applies to your question. If you don't want to use threaded inserts. Just drill the pilot holes in the neck at 1/8".

7. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

+1

Best method I've found. Unless you do have a laser. :grin:

8. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

If the bridge and nut are already installed, I just use a clamp like posted above and run one long piece of thread through one of the E string ferrules, through the nut, from that E tuner hole through the other E tuner hole, back down through THAT nut slot and down through the opposite E ferrule.

You can tighten the thread and tie the ends together if you want at the string ferrules. Then move the neck back and forth until you are happy with the string path and lock the clamp in place. I then use a drill bit to mark the neck for drilling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.