Tip for all newbies to pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bluego1, Mar 13, 2019 at 6:43 PM.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

The snow has stopped but the wind is still blowing hard. It should be better tomorrow. The maintenance guy has plowed the sidewalk and shoveled my walk, so I'm good. Thanks for asking.

Back to power supplies!

Bluego1 likes this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So much misinformation. Boss and Roland don’t daisy chain well? Since when?

Also that Donner PS is not isolated, IIRC. Only the different voltage blocks are isolated, if anything. But within a block it’s a daisy chain. Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly.

3. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I currently use dedicated power supplies. I have used a 1spot Daisy chain with good results. The only time I ever had noise problems was with a Digitech looper & a TC Dreamscape .

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Whatever it is, the difference is night and day from what I was using before. If I can get that without paying for true isolation, count me in.

5. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Just like most things in life it's about moderation and understaning. I use a multi-isolated power supply (TrueTone CS-7) but daisy chain all my analog effects together off of one of the isolated outputs.

6. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Play more, it drowns out the hiss.

I disagree an expensive isolated power setup is an important tip for a newbie. It's like the last thing a newbie needs.

-Scott

Lies&Distortion and MilwMark like this.
  7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Ah, the play more camp. I hardly missed ya. Contrary to that camp’s belief, not everyone that enjoys guitar and effects is in it to become the best player they can be. There are so many other aspects, like trying to emulate the tone of a riff you grew up with, and doing so frequently requires pedals. And, as OP, I did not recommend an expensive isolated power supply. The one I mentioned was less than fifty bucks. Could probably get by with the DP1 for thirty bucks. In any case, it works for me so much better than the daisy chain that I thought I would share. If a newbie (not of the play more camp) is getting frustrated with noise from pedals, it is certainly one of the most important things they should have. Speaking as a newbie (relatively). Now, back to camp.

8. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Me too. No issues. The same 2 wall warts have been powering about 8 pedals for 15 years.

NothingGoatboat and MilwMark like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a GR55 that sucks up current like a vacuum and introduces a huge amount of hum, now all my devices are powered from the same source so there is no other issues with the power source as soon as I isolated the Gr55 and the zoom 707 , placing them on their own warts , everything dummied down to a super dull roar , I dont use little pedal board boss units , I have them but dont use them ,because small pedals are usually matched for current draw there may not be anissue but digital boards seem to have issues appearently

P1011758.JPG P1011996.JPG

bftfender likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Playing more is the answer but if you look at what kind of rigs get recommended for Day 0 beginners they make obscene amounts of buzz/hiss/noise to the point they sound so bad they can make you want to take it all back to the store & quit or go acoustic.

I bought a $99 practice amp, $10 Livewire Cable, and my Tele used when I started. < $500 spent, plugged it into a surge protector I already had.

Got it home, plugged it in, it sounded horrendous. Like something was broken. When you're starting out and you screw up everything you try to play that noise just makes everything even worse.

Not that pedals would make it better but no one at the store tells you that spending $500-1000 on your amp and $20 on your cable makes the noise floor drop like a rock.

I spent a lot of time, effort, and money my first 2 years trying to get my stuff to not sound like it was broken before I ever hit the first note. Rewired my guitar, better amp, better cables, power supply, better surge protector/line noise filter, yada yada yada.

It's gotta sound good enough to make you want to play.

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I think you misunderstood me - hiss is noise, playing notes generates signal. I was merely suggesting that banging out notes and chords is a great way of raising the signal to noise ratio :) A Big Muff at rest hisses. A Big Muff banging out power chords roars, and no hiss is heard.

MilwMark and Bluego1 like this.
  12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

@24 track is that an SGE Mach II I spy in that rack? I wore one of those out in the early 90s! Do you still use it for anything? Nostalgic affection aside, I don't recall it sounding very good.

24 track likes this.
  13. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There is hum, hiss, crackle, pops.

A Big Muff will magnify hum like crazy.
    A Big Muff also introduces a lot of it's own internal hiss...

To me the hiss is not really annoying. My amp does that too at a "gig volume" level, but it'd never be a problem in that environment.

My biggest tip would have to be that order really matters. And sometimes the best order violates what the manual for one or more pedals says. Really experiment with that.

14. 24 track

I bought that one broken $ 20.00 I replaced the power supply caps for about .50 with higher voltage same value caps Rubycons ( 25 volt instead of 16 volts ) and have not had any issues since I reset the unit to factory spec and its been fine ever since I also have the ART Multiverb 3 and the SGX 2000 with the foot controller

As for sounds I blend my sounds through the mixer, rather than daisy chain them, so I can control the amount of the effects at will , I get some cool stuff that way that dosnt sound cookie cutter guitar stuff , between the H9 max the Kaos pad KP3, and 2 alesis DDLs I can move fast and freely through the sounds.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    Bluego1 and Lawdawg like this.
  15. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Cool concept! I started out with synths before guitar and that is a similar kind of workflow.

24 track likes this.
  16. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I've got a very small amount of pedals and I've opted for rechargeable batteries to power them. No matter what the situation I don't have to worry about the power in the room. Obviously this isn't very practical for big pedalboards, just my personal experience.

And just as a side note, the latest series of Zoom multi-effects run forever on rechargeable AA's, and sound fantastic as well. I currently have the MS70-G and can get at least 5-6 hours from 2 AA's.

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Totally agree!

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

I use separate wall warts for everything, or if I daisy chain I only do the analog pedals together, reasonable since the digital each want so much amperage. It's a hell of a mess and not practical for a mobile rig.

24 track and MilwMark like this.
  19. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

Pros from the olden days used a pinky on the volume knob for a noise gate. Decades after the problems were gone I noticed guys like Nokie Edwards, Carl Perkins, always on top of it.

24 track and MilwMark like this.
  20. 24 track

so did I !, Larry F ( One of our members) was a university professor of music and had access to the big analog synths and did a ton of compositions on them

Lawdawg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.